Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

I’m sure he’ll get another decent job either in England or Europe but his stock has fallen probably in part to being associated with a Mike Ashley owned business and then also his China experience.

The best thing he could do is take over a big Italian team if he gets the chance, maybe at the expense of Pirlo if things don’t work out by the summer?

Because he's had a hard time at one club in a brand new continent?

He’s well traveled enough at this point for location to not be an excuse and that league is a load of toss. He should be doing better there.

I’d love to have him back at the club because I think he gets it here but am also realistic enough to know he’s not been meeting his own standards there.

He’s probably ready for international football and semi retirement.

Can't see Rafa ever taking an international job. Too obsessed with the day to day.

He’d go grass roots and Coach kids in his day to day. The Men’s 1st team would Simply pay the bills. He’d get a lot out of it imo, and after his last 3 jobs he’s ready for it.

He’s well traveled enough at this point for location to not be an excuse and that league is a load of toss. He should be doing better there.

I’d love to have him back at the club because I think he gets it here but am also realistic enough to know he’s not been meeting his own standards there.

If the league is a load of toss then I imagine he's inherited a load of toss too, especially with the restrictions in place. I don't think anyone has said he isn't meeting his own standards. I'd also imagine him being 'well travelled' is a lot easier in Western Europe than moving to China

To suggest he should go to international management because of one poor move seems mad

If the league is a load of toss then I imagine he's inherited a load of toss too, especially with the restrictions in place. I don't think anyone has said he isn't meeting his own standards. I'd also imagine him being 'well travelled' is a lot easier in Western Europe than moving to China

To suggest he should go to international management because of one poor move seems mad

I’m not suggesting he go to that at all. I think he should target one of the big Italian teams as they do tend to change managers often. Pirlo at Juventus could end badly if they don’t win much but he’d also have to hope Ronaldo isn’t staying on their either.

In fact, doing well in Serie A could be the perfect way to get his career back on track.

Well actually two bad moves in a row, managing Ashley's NUFC being marginally worse than some no hopers in China

• 2 weeks later...

There’s been a psychological component to what Gerrard delivers and in this respect it is fascinating to observe him discussing Rafa Benitez in far warmer terms than ever before, in one new interview.

‘I think at the time, when you’ve got this relationship with Rafa, you think he’s picking on you because he’s going into so much detail,’ Gerrard tells Champions League magazine. ‘Your ego gets in the way and you think he’s not liking you. Looking back, he was an absolute master of tough love.’

A lot of our performances, especially away from home, have got a percentage of what I learned from Rafa,’ Gerrard adds in the new interview. ‘In terms of structure, in terms of principles: out of possession, how aggressive we want to be. There’s a lot of Rafa Benitez in Rangers performances.’

We were strongly linked with Gerrard ahead of him going to Rangers and I cringed at the thought.

God I wish we had gone with him ahead of Bruce in hindsight. He's doing really well and really seems to have the right make up for management.

Assuming my frame of mind was as such that I'd wanted us to appoint as good a manager as we could, there's few more detestable people I'd have wanted in the dugout than Steven fucking Gerrard. Bloke's an absolute div. Loves to tell the media about how his players don't come up to his standards, which really grates.

Assuming my frame of mind was as such that I'd wanted us to appoint as good a manager as we could, there's few more detestable people I'd have wanted in the dugout than Steven fucking Gerrard. Bloke's an absolute div. Loves to tell the media about how his players don't come up to his standards, which really grates.

Yeah, I can see that. I know quite a few don't like him.

Probably would have been very difficult to have his first gig here at Newcastle and it most likely would have been a disaster anyway.

Ah well ... Bruce it is.

We were strongly linked with Gerrard ahead of him going to Rangers and I cringed at the thought.

God I wish we had gone with him ahead of Bruce in hindsight. He's doing really well and really seems to have the right make up for management.

In hindsight perhaps, the reality is that Newcastle is a totally different beast to almost every other club in terms of pressure because of the size of the job to turn around. We’re constantly either reeling from years of poor management or else our best players have been sold on. There’s very few managers in world football that have broad enough shoulders to meet that head on.

Gerrard took a while to grow into that job and the experience he’s gaining now might serve him better when he decides to step up but nufc would have been way too soon for him and would have done his managerial career no favours at all if he’d taken it.

Same here, absolutely detest him. Doing well at Rangers is the same as doing well at Celtic. Hard to fail in a two team league.

In any case, there are far better candidates out there for us, including Rafa himself if we ever get an owner who wants a competitive football club.