Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/02/05/david-moyes-unlikely-remain-west-ham-beyond-end-season-even/

Rafa mentioned with West Ham again, with Moyes set to leave this summer. Ergh.

Leaving one shithouse owner to go to a club with two? I'd be surprised.

They'll back him with money though, and he feels he owes them after agreeing to takeover there and then asking if it was OK to take the Real Madrid job instead. They apparently to their credit said of course, the Real Madrid job is something Rafa couldn't turn down and they didn't stand in his way.

Rafa is not working miracles man, if anything his performance this season has been underwhelming, our team isn't THAT much worse than most in the bottom half yet we should all be really grateful we're deeply embroiled in a relegation battle while the bulk of the money he spent in the summer is sat on the bench because they aren't good enough or he doesn't trust them.

I want the bloke to succeed here but regardless of not being fully backed he should still be doing a bit better IMO, particularly in how we approach games at home and when we're 1-0 ahead.

Would be happy for him to prove me wrong and would happily take the pelters that come with this but I don't have the faith he has it in him to keep us up or that having a capable goalscorer in Slimani will make a big enough difference to outweigh the negative tactics he uses in most games.

It’s almost as if he’s not one of the best managers in the world working with a bunch of random championship players.

I don’t see how he should be doing better. No respectable GK, no decent striker, no #10, maybe one acceptable PL midfielder. Paul Dummett is our best LB. I’d love to know where this team would be expected to finish under another manager.

Rafa is not working miracles man, if anything his performance this season has been underwhelming, our team isn't THAT much worse than most in the bottom half yet we should all be really grateful we're deeply embroiled in a relegation battle while the bulk of the money he spent in the summer is sat on the bench because they aren't good enough or he doesn't trust them.

I want the bloke to succeed here but regardless of not being fully backed he should still be doing a bit better IMO, particularly in how we approach games at home and when we're 1-0 ahead.

Would be happy for him to prove me wrong and would happily take the pelters that come with this but I don't have the faith he has it in him to keep us up or that having a capable goalscorer in Slimani will make a big enough difference to outweigh the negative tactics he uses in most games.

This is Mike Ashley's thought pattern.

Thought experiment; Rafa with the 11-12 squad, where would we have ended up?

Probably the same, maybe even a place or two lower.

We'd have also been top 8-10 the following season though rather than fighting relegation.

Agreed.

I'm convinced that that 2012/13 season convinced Ashley that Europe was a bad thing. Pardew always used the EL as an excuse for embarrassing performances in the Premier League which Ashley presumably bought, despite the joke summer window we had. Bringing in only Anita, Amalfitano and Bigirimana for an extra 12 games in the season man. :lol:

Love European nights man, so hope we're back there under Rafa soon. :(

If we open up with this team we'll get destroyed every week. Hard to comprehend people can't see this properly like.

We've been good enough and made enough chances to win plenty of games this season but we've been let down by our strikers and keepers so often it's incredible.

If we open up with this team we'll get destroyed every week. Hard to comprehend people can't see this properly like.

We've been good enough and made enough chances to win plenty of games this season but we've been let down by our strikers and keepers so often it's incredible.

This.

This.

Someone else says it on here as well, the fact our goal difference is as good as it is shows the long game Rafa is playing this season, he's known all along how tight it was likely to be and getting dicked 4-0 every week would have killed us on numerous levels.

That's why the complaints are generally quite vague and the ones making the argument can never walk you through how it would work. Throwing people forward would be great if they could still be in defensive shape when we inevitably get caught on the break. Then you'd have to score with the shit strikers when we pile forward as well obviously. That's the logic.

It’s almost as if he’s not one of the best managers in the world working with a bunch of random championship players.

I don’t see how he should be doing better. No respectable GK, no decent striker, no #10, maybe one acceptable PL midfielder. Paul Dummett is our best LB. I’d love to know where this team would be expected to finish under another manager.

:thup:

Gayle, Joselu and Shelvey are supposedly 3 of our better players and they are all rejects from other relegation threatened sides ffs :lol:

I sometimes wonder if and when he takes us down if people will be banging on about how great the relegation was under Rafa, and that we should be over the moon we got relegated on 37 points and not 33 points because of his footballing acumen.

Some people are so desperate to believe our big name manager is working miracles that they can't see whats in front of their eyes, bloke can do no wrong.

I love the bloke and what his arrival did to reunite the club but I don't think its out of turn to say his managerial performance has been a bit underwhelming this season, and that hes not done too well with the 45 million he spent in the summer.

I sometimes wonder if and when he takes us down if people will be banging on about how great the relegation was under Rafa, and that we should be over the moon we got relegated on 37 points and not 33 points because of his footballing acumen.

Some people are so desperate to believe our big name manager is working miracles that they can't see whats in front of their eyes, bloke can do no wrong.

What would you have him do differently then?

I’d imagine people will bemoan the lack of investment, which would ultimately be the cause of our relegation.

Which miss from the games against Palace, Brighton, Swansea, Burnley etc. were the fault of Rafa? If we had a credible striker in, we’d easily have 5-8 more points and be comfortably safe - we’ve dominated games and had enough chances to win them two times over, it’s not Rafa’s fault he’s been left to mow a lawn with a pair of tweezers.

We should've also won at Southampton. Had numerous chances, hit the post, had a goal wrongly disallowed against Bournemouth. Had golden opportunities against Swansea, Burnley, Everton. Should've really gotten a point at Huddersfield.

Say we actually had invested in a striker that Rafa wanted who took those chances. That's 13 points we've missed out on. Blaming Rafa is f***ing daft, man. :lol: