Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Have to be 100% behind him like. From a constructive viewpoint alone, who else would improve our situation?

No one would.  He is absolutely the best we could hope for with the FCB in charge.  If/when he goes we can fully expect some thundercunt like Wise replacing him, so don't wish him away.

The problem is with our squad.  Trying to get a functioning PL team with the players we have is impossible.  It's like trying to make a car with only one wheel and no engine.  He's on a hiding to nothing.

I think he should have brought a 3rd cb or Hayden to help defence at hour mark. We were getting badly overrun and didnt have a threat on the counter. Atsu was a horrible sub.

That would have gone down really well. :lol:

Don't how it would have gone down, but they were throwing everyone up and still we werent very dangreous on the counter.

I think he should have brought a 3rd cb or Hayden to help defence at hour mark. We were getting badly overrun and didnt have a threat on the counter. Atsu was a horrible sub.

Don't how it would have gone down, but they were throwing everyone up and still we werent very dangreous on the counter.

just heard a bloke say something similar at lunch, that we were really hard to break down when we tried to be defensive therefore upon getting to HT he should have thrown an extra CB and looked to shore it up

easy in hindsight but there's probably something to it, they were always going to throw their best players at us i suppose

my inclination was murphy as a sub to try and counter but they just controlled the entire game too much from that point on

Guest awaymag

Rafa, how many defeats will it take for you to actually think.....you know what, this team can't keep a clean sheet, maybe we shouldn't just park the bus and bore the fans to death......Maybe, just maybe we should go out and attack a bit more?

Just a thought........still love ya......but its getting a bit boring.......spice it up >:D

did you watch the game at all?

Actually no but I imagine in the 2nd half, we dropped deeper and deeper and defended for our lives.  We were so galant but unfortunately they scored 3 goals and we came away with no points.........again.  Just saying, Rafa instinct is to hit on the break, get a goal and shut up shop.    Unfortunately the team can shut up shop and so what happens is we end of losing.  Now the double trouble for Rafa is that he no strikers that can get a goal back.    I think that means that NUFC is screwed!

Rafa, how many defeats will it take for you to actually think.....you know what, this team can't keep a clean sheet, maybe we shouldn't just park the bus and bore the fans to death......Maybe, just maybe we should go out and attack a bit more?

Just a thought........still love ya......but its getting a bit boring.......spice it up >:D

Actually no but I imagine in the 2nd half, we dropped deeper and deeper and defended for our lives.  We were so galant but unfortunately they scored 3 goals and we came away with no points.........again.  Just saying, Rafa instinct is to hit on the break, get a goal and shut up shop.    Unfortunately the team can shut up shop and so what happens is we end of losing.  Now the double trouble for Rafa is that he no strikers that can get a goal back.    I think that means that NUFC is screwed!

You on the windup or just a fucking idiot?

Jog on sausage jockey

Wow. :lol:

just heard a bloke say something similar at lunch, that we were really hard to break down when we tried to be defensive therefore upon getting to HT he should have thrown an extra CB and looked to shore it up

easy in hindsight but there's probably something to it, they were always going to throw their best players at us i suppose

my inclination was murphy as a sub to try and counter but they just controlled the entire game too much from that point on

A third CB would have just dropped us deeper. Said it before but not having Kenedy was huge, we had no release basically. We weren't any deeper in the second half than the first, they just massively overwhelmed us. I don't think bringing on a CB changes that

this is how i saw it as well, i think a lot of people default to the deeper option when one team gets massively overwhelmed as happened yesterday - both things can be true of course but in this instance we didn't intentionally sit back, and that's the point really...if we had we might have prevented them scoring 3 goals as very few teams put 3 past us under rafa

captain hindsight and all that

He's a known fan of the mackems, but on the Guardian podcast, when asked what Aston Villa should do now, Barry Glendenning's answer was "go all out to get Rafa Benitez". Wind-up or not, I'm sure the idea will have occurred or will soon be occurring to people with better-funded football "projects" to give him.

Re: the Man U game, Alex Hurst on the tf podcast said that he thought Shelvey and Diame looked knackered at the end of the first half. I didn't notice it myself, but that's the kind of thing you would pick up more in the ground than watching on tv.

I'm at the stage now where I would be fine with Rafa leaving us for a lower league, under performing, stand closing, cabbage throwing club.

Yeah defo, there's not just us in the game. If Man United flex their attacking talent and start putting us on the back foot, we can't do too much about it. They were first to everything second half and constantly had 5 players in our box, its not eas easy as just pushing up the pitch to stop that. Ultimately Kenedy and the free kick fucked us

what i found funny about that game is that first half was actual 2018 mourinho, they played how he wanted them to and it was horribly painful exposing everything wrong with his approach but perhaps just as importantly exposing pobga for how limited he is when there's no movement around him

second half mou panics and throws on all the attackers leaving pogba to basically do what shelvey does for us, only pobga is obviously miles better and had miles better options running about all over the place

in short, if they bin mou and get an attacking manager i reckon pogba is gonna run the league myself, but set him up in a static system he's a waste of space

Yeah defo, there's not just us in the game. If Man United flex their attacking talent and start putting us on the back foot, we can't do too much about it. They were first to everything second half and constantly had 5 players in our box, its not eas easy as just pushing up the pitch to stop that. Ultimately Kenedy and the free kick fucked us

what i found funny about that game is that first half was actual 2018 mourinho, they played how he wanted them to and it was horribly painful exposing everything wrong with his approach but perhaps just as importantly exposing pobga for how limited he is when there's no movement around him

second half mou panics and throws on all the attackers leaving pogba to basically do what shelvey does for us, only pobga is obviously miles better and had miles better options running about all over the place

in short, if they bin mou and get an attacking manager i reckon pogba is gonna run the league myself, but set him up in a static system he's a waste of space

:thup: agree with all of that. For me the second half just shows that he's holding them back and particularly Pogba. He was immense in that half

with his physicality and quality on the ball it's often men vs. boys stuff, he can just hold people off until he can be arsed to ping a lush pass to someone...it was basically the role he played with france in the WC towards the latter stages and for the life of me i'll never understand how mourinho didn't sit and watch that thinking "imma just copy it" :lol:

:thup: agree with all of that. For me the second half just shows that he's holding them back and particularly Pogba. He was immense in that half

with his physicality and quality on the ball it's often men vs. boys stuff, he can just hold people off until he can be arsed to ping a lush pass to someone...it was basically the role he played with france in the WC towards the latter stages and for the life of me i'll never understand how mourinho didn't sit and watch that thinking "imma just copy it" :lol:

You have to remember that Mourinho was the same stubborn prick that refused to let Hazard have any freedom at Chelsea. Conte won the title with basically the same players that Mourinho thought weren't good enough. Jose was a great manager a decade ago, his methods are still stuck back in that era though. The game's moved on, Barcelona and Man City are light years ahead of anything that Mourinho produced in his glory years at Chelsea.

We've had the hardest set of fixtures to open our season, yet we have a better GD than Cardiff, Fulham, Huddersfield and Soton. We'll come good and Rafa knows it.

points make prizes. Statistics suggest you'll go down on points and not goal difference.