Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Guest Howaythetoon

Dokko makes an interesting point about the personality of a manager and how that can effect fans.

As an outsider looking in I’d consider Puel a good manager who has done a good job at Leicester and although I haven’t seen much of them in action, what I have, they are not this negative football team in the way a Big Sam or Pardew team were.

Also having worked a lot in Leicester, as recently as a few months back I think, I didn’t get a sense of high expectations from the locals regarding the football they want their team to play nor any demands for a certain brand or style of football.

So I go back to Dokko’s observations... maybe it’s Puel’s personality which is in direct contrast to the personality of the manager who won them the Premier League, Ranieri.

The manager’s personality goes a long way and we know more than anyone how important that is or can be. We have been brought up on the likes of KK and Sir Bobby and although Rafa isn’t exactly Mr personality, he brings a personal touch to his management and his relationship with fans in the same way KK and Sir Bobby did that Dalglish and Gullit to name just two never did.

Obviously Rafa gets support because in the main fans know how good he is and where the problems really lie, that and no-one can argue he has done a great job. But again a lot of that is because of his personality. He cares, he shows passion, he’s personable and his relationship with the fans is personal.

A relationship that is strong enough to overcome a poor run of defeats or poor performances, a relationship where when we do win, even if we have played poorly or nicked a win, feels good and extra special. When he can deliver a win, he’s doing it for us and for us when he does, we are reciprocal in our feelings and emotions.

We play some of the worst football I’ve seen at SJP and our home form this season is some of the worst in our history, and while fans put up with it because of the situation we are in and the level of quality in the team or lack of, it’s tolerated because of Rafa. If Pardew was in that dugout such form and performances wouldn’t be tolerated... regardless of the circumstances. KK and Sir Bobby yes, all the others no.

Back to Puel, for Leicester fans I don’t think it’s about the style of football or anything else of that nature, I think fans will tolerate a hell of a lot, especially if they have a bond with their manager and I don’t think they have that and I don’t think fans at other clubs even with good managers and in a good place do either. And that makes it easier to become disgruntled, divided and for owners and boards to dispense with.

Would Leicester fans accept Rafa given his football style? I think they’d fucking love him just as we do because of his personality, his personal touch, his fan orientated persona, especially when he has them punching above their weight and winning cups which if they ever appointed him would be a real possibility.

And if not, I’d still wager they wouldn’t be wanting shot of him.

Not that I think Leicester fans in the main want shot of Puel either...

I’d have Puel here btw, not under Ashley of course, but he’s a good manager and did a good job at Southampton before he got replaced and is doing a good job at Leicester.

I remember when he was appointed Southampton manager, I was actually working in Portsmouth at the time and a few of their ex players were dead set against him, time for an English manager, why not look at Francis Benali etc. What about someone like Pulis or Hughes, even Glenn Hoddle was mentioned :lol:

It’s 100% down to Rafa being manager that only 5 clubs have conceded fewer goals than us.

Give him quality and this wouldn’t be so hard

Call me crazy but he will be Newcastle manager in August still

I just can't see him leaving or I can't see a Tim sherwood in charge next season.

Quote me on this you heard it here first. He's not fucking leaving lads

Based on what.

He hasn't left yet.

He looks to enjoy it still.

He's actually not that far off getting a decent team it just needs a couple of sparks of quality up top.

Stay close to his family

Where else would he go?

He has waited all this time in the hope of a takeover and people have said he wants to be the one to unlock the potential here and finally win something so maybe he will wait another couple of years for new owners?

Knows he will never be under any pressure whilst Ashley is here

I think he knows if he left there's a good chance we go down and he clearly doesn't want to see NUFC relegated

I dunno it's just a feeling I have had. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if he is here in August. Hopefully this is getting dug out when he announces he's not leaving

He hasn't left yet.

He's actually not that far off getting a decent team it just needs a couple of sparks of quality up top.

Stay close to his family

Where else would he go?

He has waited all this time in the hope of a takeover and people have said he wants to be the one to unlock the potential here and finally win something so maybe he will wait another couple of years for new owners?

I think he knows if he left there's a good chance we go down and he clearly doesn't want to see NUFC relegated

I dunno it's just a feeling I have had. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if he is here in August. Hopefully this is getting dug out when he announces he's not leaving

Sensible arguments there. You're still bonkers like!

The only way he's here next season (takeover is never going to happen) is if all this time he's been complicate in the destruction of the club and is simply in it for the money.

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist...

Also Ashley knows he's onto a winner as he can keep him on the gravy train with little investment. He knows it will cause him a load of hassle if he leaves. I just reckon he will try his usual lies and tricks to try and con him into staying somehow.

Deep down altough he dosent act like it Ashley wants him to stay and Benitez doesn't really want to leave unless he really has too.

I can see them coming to some form of agreement. It won't be stuck to but something will get agreed I'm sure

He hasn't left yet.

Stay close to his family

Where else would he go?

Sensible arguments there. You're still bonkers like!

Ha ha I know I am!

The only way he's here next season (takeover is never going to happen) is if all this time he's been complicate in the destruction of the club and is simply in it for the money.

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist...

From the bits I have seen of us this season I think Benitez will look at it and think he's got a fairly solid base there and a hard working team, he's gave the top 6 a lot of close games, he probably looks at it and thinks if he somehow got a couple of bits of quality in midfield and attack he could get them into the top 10 again and by that point he might have a new owner.

I reckon when we are clear of relegation he will announce he is staying.

He hasn't left yet.

Stay close to his family

Where else would he go?

I agree he has a lot of respect for the area, fans and players and will do his upmost to keep us up this season. But there's a tipping point which has already "tipped". I think the trust with Ashley has gone and is that any surprise? He knows Ashley will never invest and will always go back on his word. It's just too much hassle dealing with these morons who actively work against you. The only way I see him staying is if there's a takeover which looks very unlikely. I suppose if it was written into a contract certain guarantees re spending/control but as I said the trust has probably completely gone.

You seem to be overlooking the fact that Rafa is out of contract in the summer and would have to consciously choose to sign a new contract with Mike Ashley.

Or are you seriously suggesting that he might choose to sign said contract?

Leicester is closer to home for him and is currently a much better "project" unfortunately. It wouldn't be the greatest shock for him to be there once his contract expires.

Na I can't see it. Not a big enough club

Doesn't matter whether or not they're a "big club". They're a club willing to compete and have ambitions other than not getting relegated.

Rafa would have a hell of a better chance turning them into a top team and winning something than he ever will with us under Ashley's control

Leicester is closer to home for him and is currently a much better "project" unfortunately. It wouldn't be the greatest shock for him to be there once his contract expires.

And we are?? :)

They have actually won something, actually a couple of things, since we last ever did.

More than good enough for him to consider a similar project to what his intentions here are/were imo.

Potential at that club we simply don't have: thanks to the fat, odious piece of shit.

It's not very rewarding to be manager of a big club with an owner who isn't interested in being a big club. I'm sure Rafa wants to stay here ideally, but unless Ashley somehow decides that he wants to spend big money on top class players, he'll leave.