Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

I love Rafa, but must admit I would be excited by an appointment like Pochettino. With the cash to buy quality, I think he would come here. A bit torn because I do get that Rafa was the perfect ambassador for Newcastle, but I would love to see attacking football here again.

I love Rafa, but must admit I would be excited by an appointment like Pochettino. With the cash to buy quality, I think he would come here. A bit torn because I do get that Rafa was the perfect ambassador for Newcastle, but I would love to see attacking football here again.

Rafa did what he had to with the players he could get. I’d expect a better attacking side with proper investment.

Guest reefatoon

Agree

Rafa did what he had to with the players he could get. I’d expect a better attacking side with proper investment.

We'd be more effective when we were attacking, but his game has always been more about being compact and hitting teams on the break. Even at Liverpool he was fairly conservative. I'd take it every time like, don't get me wrong, he's still one of the world's best managers. Just would be quite open to a high class attacking manager like Poch as well.

Know what you mean about the football. Being honest I wouldn’t put up with his style from another manager. I see Poch as a great manager and coach, but we need someone to build the club from top to bottom, and I’m not exaggerating when I say I don’t think anyone in the world would do a better job of that than Rafa. Rafa would want a day in architectural plans for a new training ground, decide the academy structure and who operates what with in it. He’d want to add to the transfer structure he’s already put in place and have full say of who comes and goes and for what price. This is what we need, someone who knows how to build a clubs infrastructure. The question is would the new owners be willing to let up that amount of control. The fact they’ve been auditioning candidates for a new sporting director might suggest not.

Know what you mean about the football. Being honest I wouldn’t put up with his style from another manager. I see Poch as a great manager and coach, but we need someone to build the club from top to bottom, and I’m not exaggerating when I say I don’t think anyone in the world would do a better job of that than Rafa. Rafa would want a day in architectural plans for a new training ground, decide the academy structure and who operates what with in it. He’d want to add to the transfer structure he’s already put in place and have full say of who comes and goes and for what price. This is what we need, someone who knows how to build a clubs infrastructure. The question is would the new owners be willing to let up that amount of control. The fact they’ve been auditioning candidates for a new sporting director might suggest not.

:thup:

Think Rafa's got unfinished business here as well tbf, would still love to see what he could do with a quality squad.

Guest neesy111

I believe in china, managers and clubs can opt out of contracts every year.  Something I've read, will try to clarify it.

:thup:

Think Rafa's got unfinished business here as well tbf, would still love to see what he could do with a quality squad.

Agree, but like I posted a few days ago the idea of having Allegri or Pochettino as manager under new owners intrigues me. A lot.

I believe in china, managers and clubs can opt out of contracts every year.  Something I've read, will try to clarify it.

You can quit any job here with 30 days notice.  It's in the labour laws.

Could anyone see Rafa playing ASM? I’d hate to see him benched if Rafa came back.

If it’s a case of Rafa or ASM who would you pick?

Max is usually gassed after an hour, so bringing him on for the last half hour doesn't seem like the worst idea in the world to me. Especially if you've got a team who can play competently by themselves without him.