Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

8 minutes ago, Pilko said:

More embarrassing to blindly tie your colours to HMS Bournemouth and Bust and salute him as we go down without a whimper.

This assumes that relegation is the be-all and end-all, which it’s not. And I don’t think our new owners see it that way either.

Would love Rafa in a DoF position. He knows the club, he knows what needs to improve within it. Might even be good for Rafa with a new role after Everton. We know he's a great manager, but some time off with a DoF position is maybe something that would benefit him too.

I don't think Howe been here long enough for us to say if it will work out or not. It can take a manager up to a year to get everyone into playing as he wants, get the right players, and to make it click.

How much time do we give Howe? He’s just lost to Cambridge at home and failed to beat relegation rival Watford. We are in a middle of a relegation battle, yet he doesn’t seem to recognise our midfield is not premiership quality. I’ll continue to support the team but he needs to do better.

13 minutes ago, Pilko said:

More embarrassing to blindly tie your colours to HMS Bournemouth and Bust and salute him as we go down without a whimper.

:lol: I think you're very ott re Howe but that was impressively poetic. 

1 minute ago, neesy111 said:

You think everything is embarrassing that you don't agree with tbf.

Although I do agree with the view at this time.

No I don’t but this is.

WTF does anyone expect to happen if we get Rafa in? 

For years we’ve been portrayed as deluded and high expectations in the media.

Now we’re literally the richest club in the world and also a hollowed out shell, people are having a massive go at the owners for this and while they’re not above criticism I’m happy to get behind them and if we go down it puts us back a year, that’s all.

I wouldn't rule out wanting Rafa back, but I'd have to turn on Howe first, which is unlikely even if we get relegated.

I worry that Rafa, like Mourinho, is a busted flush. Whatever aura and mystic these men held has gone. It happens to almost every manager. It happened to Clough, Wenger and it will happen to Klopp and Pep, its the circle of life.

We need our own philosophy, vision and a manager on their way up in the game.

I'd like to see Staveley getting some advice off Rafa mind. He has tonnes to offer in the short term about how to build a club but he and Howes footballing philosophies are so far apart he wouldn't work as a DOF.

Once again, the stars of NUFC and Rafa Benitez just aren't aligned.

Rafa's managed Everton for 9 more games than Howe has Newcastle.

What have people seen in those 9 games - or the 10 that's Howe's managed - that makes them think that Howe is emphatically the better choice than Rafa?

As for "we shouldn't go back", well why not? I've not heard a single decent reason that doesn't border on just plain superstition. 

Edited by Thumbheed

3 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

No I don’t but this is.

WTF does anyone expect to happen if we get Rafa in? 

For years we’ve been portrayed as deluded and high expectations in the media.

Now we’re literally the richest club in the world and also a hollowed out shell, people are having a massive go at the owners for this and while they’re not above criticism I’m happy to get behind them and if we go down it puts us back a year, that’s all.

It's reactionary bullshit, I think some people live in a dream world. I backed Rafa 100% when he was here, but the football was not good to watch, but he was a good man and deserved to be given respect. Same goes for Howe though. He was brought in yesterday, and you only have to look at how shit the rest of the team look compared to Trippier to see what he's up against. I have my doubts as well, but I refuse to judge him on someone else's players. 

2 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Rafa's managed Everton for 9 more games than Howe has Newcastle.

What people have seen in those 9 games - or the 10 that's Howe's managed - that makes them think that Howe is emphatically the better choice than Rafa?

As for "we shouldn't go back", well why not? I've not heard a single decent reason that doesn't border on just plain superstition. 

Better football to watch long term. 

1 minute ago, TRon said:

It's reactionary bullshit, I think some people live in a dream world. I backed Rafa 100% when he was here, but the football was not good to watch, but he was a good man and deserved to be given respect. Same goes for Howe though. He was brought in yesterday, and you only have to look at how shit the rest of the team look compared to Trippier to see what he's up against. I have my doubts as well, but I refuse to judge him on someone else's players. 

Yep and also the Trippier thing is very true. 

He looked way above the rest of the team 

Just now, Dr Venkman said:

It's a question, not a point. Is talking about bringing Rafa in to stop us getting relegated more embarrassing than getting relegated?

There's no guarantee he'd stop us getting relegated. 

1 minute ago, Dr Venkman said:

It's a question, not a point. Is talking about bringing Rafa in to stop us getting relegated more embarrassing than getting relegated?

So your question is: if we bring Benitez in we wont get relegated but it could be embarrassing or is it more embarrassing to just get relegated under Howe?

We need wins really. It took Rafa two months to get a win last time he came with a much better side. 

We don't really have time to appoint someone who starts slow and takes a while to implement his ideas. 

1 minute ago, Thomson Mouse said:

So your question is: if we bring Benitez in we wont get relegated but it could be embarrassing or is it more embarrassing to just get relegated under Howe?

Nah mate, my question is the one in the post you quoted. You've not bothered to answer it though.

I think most importantly is getting shrewd football appointments in the right places at boardroom/admin level. Once that’s done the rest follows

I would prefer Rafa for the challenge that lies ahead this season out of the two. I would feel confident he’d get us promoted too. 

really I’d like us to appoint the next Benitez.

1 minute ago, Dr Venkman said:

Nah mate, my question is the one in the post you quoted. You've not bothered to answer it though.

:lol:  It’s a pointless scenario as we haven’t been relegated yet. 

If you’re meaning is talk of bringing Rafa in now to try and avoid relegation embarrassing , then yes it is