Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Another key thing with Rafa is that he is really a Manager and DOF rolled into one, which would have been ideal.

He would have done the same kind of thing he was doing with that club in China previously. Just restructuring everything from top to bottom, and his knowledge of players globally is top notch too. None of this dilly dallying and approaching of so many targets, without knowing who could realistically be had.

Haven't really seen much of him at Everton but has football really left him behind? Surely there's still room for the highly disciplined and pragmatic team tactics we saw here?

I think it would be a mistake to get him back here as manager right now. Our problem is not the manager. Our problem remains the previous manager, the mentality and culture he fostered, and the players he has broken beyond repair.

10 minutes ago, Klaus said:

Purely hypothetical obviously, but If you could get rid of Howe today and get Rafa back as manager, would you? 

I think Rafa's rep has taken a serious hit after this job. I wouldn't want him back but I don't think Howe is the answer either.

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

If Howe doesn't keep us up and Rafa's available I'd bring him in. But probably only in that scenario. 

Sadly Howe isn't ticking the most important boxes at the moment, but I'd at least like to see him given the opportunity to with a team full of new recruits. However, if we go down it's an objective failure and almost definitely an avoidable one given the amount of games he's had and the (assumed) funds afforded to him. 

If we go down, Rafa is basically a sure thing regarding immediate promotion so I'd definitely see us considering that if he were available. 

Bringing him in whilst there's already a manager here is an absolutely hideous suggestion, mind. 

As harsh as it sounds if I was the owner I wouldn't wait - I'd make the decision now.  Rafa is the kind of man that can plan for both eventualities - he also knows the players well so I wouldn't be surprised if he already had a list in mind where we needed to improve and a list of targets. 

Just now, Menace said:

I think Rafa's rep has taken a serious hit after this job. I wouldn't want him back but I don't think Howe is the answer either.

He basically didn't have a striker for most the season - every club would suffer if that happened. 

18 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Really don't think that'd work. Undermines Howe and Benitez is never a director.

I don't understand how Benitez isn't a director of football to be honest? He understands and has plans for a football club that go well beyond managing a squad of players. He'd also be able to provide defensive guidance to Howe and the team, and has accolades and ability to manage those within our squad and beyond, no matter how big they think they are.

You could argue any DoF undermines Howe at this stage too... 

Edited by Heron

5 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

If Howe doesn't keep us up and Rafa's available I'd bring him in. But probably only in that scenario. 

Sadly Howe isn't ticking the most important boxes at the moment, but I'd at least like to see him given the opportunity to with a team full of new recruits. However, if we go down it's an objective failure and almost definitely an avoidable one given the amount of games he's had and the (assumed) funds afforded to him. 

If we go down, Rafa is basically a sure thing regarding immediate promotion so I'd definitely see us considering that if he were available. 

Bringing him in whilst there's already a manager here is an absolutely hideous suggestion, mind. 

How, we need someone in an advisory role of some sort. I think that was made clear when we paid £25m for Chris Wood. At the minute I think it's basically Eddie Howe, Jason Tindall, and some no mark scout? 

Just bring him in to help sort out the defence lol

Denmark coach is odds on favourite. Why would he give up the world cup opportunity?

Lampard and Rooney odds on behind! 

Reckon they are mad enough to do a Rooney/Big Dunc. Combo. Lampard would also jump on it. Might do enough this year with manager bounce to keep them up but would be rancid long term.

12 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Yes, he would have known how to get results with these mugs in the interim.

And then he would have already known exactly who he wanted to bring in to upgrade the team from January onwards and he would have had free reign financially and decision making wise to do so. It would have been perfect.

But he just wouldn't leave well alone with the Everton thing. It was like that reaction from their fans was a sign from God telling him to chill out and be patient, but he just didn't take heed man.

To be fair to him - at the time he joined Everton the takeover looked unlikely.  Not many thought it'd happen anytime soon - if at all.  It came out the blue.

I’m curious what people see in Howe so far that makes us thing he can take this on?

I understand the reluctance to go back to Rafa btw. I’m just not seeing Howe make any improvements either!

Just now, Heron said:

I don't understand how Benitez isn't a director to be honest. He understands and has plans for a football club that go well beyond managing a squad of players. He'd also be able to provide defensive guidance to Howe and the team, and has accolades and ability to manage those within our squad and beyond, no matter how big they think they are.

For me it would go completely against what Rafa is about. He's spoken about how much he loves the day to day on the training pitch. I can't see him being remotely interested in a role upstairs. Aside from the lack of training ground interaction, he'd have to secure players to fit someone else's style and he's simply not that type of person. It's his way or nothing.

It'd be a terrible move in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, alijmitchell said:

I’m curious what people see in Howe so far that makes us thing he can take this on?

I understand the reluctance to go back to Rafa btw. I’m just not seeing Howe make any improvements either!

We have improved as a team or it certainly seemed that way until Cambridge. I think anyone questionning Howe's position is massively underestimating the sheer level of gross negligence we were operating at previously, in all honesty. 

Edited by Heron

6 minutes ago, Heron said:

I don't understand how Benitez isn't a director of football to be honest? He understands and has plans for a football club that go well beyond managing a squad of players. He'd also be able to provide defensive guidance to Howe and the team, and has accolades and ability to manage those within our squad and beyond, no matter how big they think they are.

You could, but given how large Benitez' shadow looms especially on here he would increase the pressure more than any 'DoF'.

12 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

If we want to stay up we bring Rafa hyem. 

One thing is for sure he's proven he can get more out of this squad.  I think we'd see the manager bounce that we didn't see with Howe as the squad really respect Rafa.

2 minutes ago, NEEJ said:

For me it would go completely against what Rafa is about. He's spoken about how much he loves the day to day on the training pitch. I can't see him being remotely interested in a role upstairs. Aside from the lack of training ground interaction, he'd have to secure players to fit someone else's style and he's simply not that type of person. It's his way or nothing.

It'd be a terrible move in my opinion.

Times change, he might be ready for that now? Would it be a terrible move? Like there's nothing to suggest he couldn't do it. At worst we'd have a solid high press that doesn't leak goals, it'd be better than a high press that cannot keep a clean sheet... 

2 minutes ago, duo said:

One thing is for sure he's proven he can get more out of this squad.  I think we'd see the manager bounce that we didn't see with Howe as the squad really respect Rafa.

Do they? The same bunch of idiots who were supposedly celebrating Bruce coming in so they could enjoy loads of days off?