Newcastle United 1 - 0 Crystal Palace - 21/10/17 - Post-match reaction from pg23

Greg

Inverting the Pyramid is shit.  Waffles on too much and there isn't anywhere near enough tactics talk with sufficient depth for a book based on tactics.

It's very much a History of rather than an analysis. It's far far too dry as well, I was immensely bored by it and I'm obsessed with football, so I'm not sure who the book's really for. You couldn't read it and really learn anything massively insightful.

:thup:

Proper toilet book for me.  Just pop it open to a random page and read the odd paragraph.  Find something interesting now and then.

That was as poor as I've seen us this season I think, passing was the worst it has been - it seemed like nerves but how could it have been?

Love Rafa but I do think he's too cautious, his gameplan seems to be all about shape and drilled movement. Which is fine until you come up against a team that get two goals in the first half and you have a mountain to climb.

Every game you see we finish strongly, could we not lossen the shackles in waves - at unexpected moments. If we are so capable of pushing for a win why not surprise an opponent and do it more often that just the last 10 or 15 minutes of a game.

That was as poor as I've seen us this season I think, passing was the worst it has been - it seemed like nerves but how could it have been?

Love Rafa but I do think he's too cautious, his gameplan seems to be all about shape and drilled movement. Which is fine until you come up against a team that get two goals in the first half and you have a mountain to climb.

Every game you see we finish strongly, could we not lossen the shackles in waves - at unexpected moments. If we are so capable of pushing for a win why not surprise an opponent and do it more often that just the last 10 or 15 minutes of a game.

We're 6th with a team that should be nowhere near the top half based on ability. I'm sure he would loosen the shackles a little if he thought he had the players capable of playing another way and winning.

Just back from  work .... didn't see or hear how we played... but glancing  through a few comments  on this forum we must of been poor ? Saying that really happy with the 3 points (obviously) and where  we are in the league  at this stage .... also hopefully  we shut that dirty scummy  bastard  Jordan up

We're 6th with a team that should be nowhere near the top half based on ability. I'm sure he would loosen the shackles a little if he thought he had the players capable of playing another way and winning.

Even if he didn't loosen the shackles, we'd look a hell of a lot better with some quality up front. This would be a relegation squad under a manager who was less organised.

Just back from  work .... didn't see or hear how we played... but glancing  through a few comments  on this forum we must of been poor ? Saying that really happy with the 3 points (obviously) and where  we are in the league  at this stage .... also hopefully  we shut that dirty scummy  bastard  Jordan up

It was a poor game, they showed more quality on the ball and we gave it away all the time. But neither side created much, in fact Elliot literally didn't have a save to make. The subs changed the game and we looked better as it went on.

A classic 'win when you're not playing well'.

You don't think it puts us under sustained, potentially unnecessary, pressure sometimes?

I just think we're better than backs to the wall every game despite the media's portrayal of us.

You don't think it puts us under sustained, potentially unnecessary, pressure sometimes?

I just think we're better than backs to the wall every game despite the media's portrayal of us.

Judging by the finishing qualities of our forwards, we'd probably come off worse if it came to an open game against most teams.

Well we restricted Palace to not a single shot on target today. Last week Southampton's manager said we were brilliant defensively.

Considering our squad, I think if we opened up and went to toe to toe with most in the league we would get beat more often than not.

Very poor today, few players off form but we still graft every bit as any team we come up against, ref was horrific and the lack of a quality striker will come back to haunt us when the injuries kick in. Atsu MOM Perez needs to go, Ben Arfa please.

Woah guys, I'm not arguing for 'toe to toe' (Greg) or an 'open game' (TRon), I was trying to say maybe we could mix it up a bit rather than waiting for the last 10 minutes.

Football matches tend to ebb and flow, could Rafa not give signals when to push and when to settle?

Woah guys, I'm not arguing for 'toe to toe' (Greg) or an 'open game' (TRon), I was trying to say maybe we could mix it up a bit rather than waiting for the last 10 minutes.

Football matches tend to ebb and flow, could Rafa not give signals when to push and when to settle?

While I agree with you I would worry considering who the offensive options are. I'd like to think Rafa would slightly tweak things with better offensive talent.