Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I still don't believe he has any intention of selling the club unless he gets an obscene offer which, let's face it, he won't.

Aye, I'm sure he'd sell if he was offered a daft sum, but he seems happy enough to hang on if he doesn't and continue to use the club as a branding tool for SD. That's a far cry from someone who wants out as we are led to believe.

I thinking how much the advertising is worth to Sports direct is overplayed fwiw.

Maybe it is, but he's done well out of it regardless. My point being, he's not desperate to sell, he can obviously continue to operate us at a profit even taking relegation into account. He's probably cursing the day he departed from his policy of hiring deadbeat managers and lucky dip scouting team.

Pretty sure Southampton only had about half the debt we do.

The debt is a huge issue that we don't really know anything about and I haven't seen the media mention anything about it, what Ashley wants done with it is very possibly a big sticking point. Is it really as simple as just adding it into the value of the club so that nothing will be owed post-takeover?

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11678/11157314/amanda-staveleys-250m-newcastle-bid-needs-significant-progress-to-succeed

Amanda Staveley's present £250m offer to buy Newcastle needs to make significant progress in the next seven working days if it is to stand a chance of succeeding, Sky Sports News understands.

Sources close to the deal have told Sky Sports News that reports Newcastle owner Mike Ashley has been given a two-week deadline to accept PCP Capital Partners' offer are inaccurate.

Sky Sports News understands any agreement this week would not be concluded until the second or third week of January at the earliest, partly because any deal needs Premier League ratification.

PCP's present bid is based on them being able to carry out significant business in the January transfer window.

Sky Sports News understands Ashley values Newcastle at £380m having bought the club for £134m in 2007.

He has been aware of the PCP bid for three weeks, but to date has found it unacceptable.

As close as you'll get to an official statement that.

Ashley's mouthpiece almost in the way Anal was for Shepherd.

I still don't believe he has any intention of selling the club unless he gets an obscene offer which, let's face it, he won't.

Aye, I'm sure he'd sell if he was offered a daft sum, but he seems happy enough to hang on if he doesn't and continue to use the club as a branding tool for SD. That's a far cry from someone who wants out as we are led to believe.

In the current market, £250m for a PL Newcastle United with Rafa Benitez is quite cheap.

If that is the offer on the table, I’m unsurprisinged that he hasn’t accepted it. PCP need to up their offer, not the other way around.

250ml in the current market etc...show your workings out ?

The playing staff alone would be worth £140mish (based on the values set by TransferMarkt), throw in the stadium, training facilities and all other land and goods owned by NUFC and you can easily see how the figure can rise.

What is the value of Rafa to NUFC?

The academy?

The potential of the club...?

Etc.

How many interested parties do you think are out there interested in handing Ashley closer to what he wants?

The debt is a huge issue that we don't really know anything about and I haven't seen the media mention anything about it, what Ashley wants done with it is very possibly a big sticking point. Is it really as simple as just adding it into the value of the club so that nothing will be owed post-takeover?

Not just the debt but different people value businesses differently. They are loads of different valuation mechanics that can be used so it only really matters what model PCP use to value NUFC.

Somebody else might come along and value us at £350m but, until that time, it's pretty much irrelevant.

In the current market, £250m for a PL Newcastle United with Rafa Benitez is quite cheap.

If that is the offer on the table, I’m unsurprisinged that he hasn’t accepted it. PCP need to up their offer, not the other way around.

The playing staff alone would be worth £140mish (based on the values set by TransferMarkt), throw in the stadium, training facilities and all other land and goods owned by NUFC and you can easily see how the figure can rise.

The academy?

Etc.

How many interested parties do you think are out there interested in handing Ashley closer to what he wants?

None. But would you sell your house because someone has offered £100,000 less than the asking price and you haven’t got any other offers?

The academy?

Etc.

My feeling is that there is someone else in the background.

Also worth noting that often businesses don't get sold to the 'highest' bidder but to the person offering the 'Best Package'. This would inevitably see risk on both sides.

The £250m is probably a much lower risk offer to Ashley but clearly he wants more which will mean that he would have to shoulder some of the risk as the price increases. Therefore less up front but perhaps £25m upon survival, £20m should we qualify for Europe within x years etc etc.

Not just the debt but different people value businesses differently. They are loads of different valuation mechanics that can be used so it only really matters what model PCP use to value NUFC.

Somebody else might come along and value us at £350m but, until that time, it's pretty much irrelevant.

I think personally, that PCP are valuing low because they recognise they might have a championship club on their hands at that price come the summer.  The price will probably drop again after two weeks, then the negotiations might start again in the summer if we stay up. Assuming PCP don't move on to another club.

Guest Howaythetoon

I think we are definitely worth more than £250m. You could argue, or it could be argued when it comes to valuation, that the club sold Andy Carroll for £35m...

Potentially the club is a billion dollar business in terms of assets, potential growth, future income etc. What other business could sell an asset that cost relatively little for £35m quid?

Now I understand that's not how it works and that there are lots of permutations involved, but howay, we are talking about a cash cow here, an untapped one with unlimited potential.

Invest even the TV money into players and you will see a huge upturn in terms of revenue.

I reckon Ashley doesn't have the fight in him to keep the club as an ongoing concern nor the money, that much is obvious. The club is at its most valuable right now and I would be looking for £300m + which I reckon is what he's after and rightly so. Sadly, I can see PCP not giving into that and the club being withdrawn from sale until the summer and by then we may lose Rafa and even be a league down which will fuck everything up. Hopefully a compromise will be met.

I'd have thought so but I have absolutely no idea.

The academy?

Etc.

None. But would you sell your house because someone has offered £100,000 less than the asking price and you haven’t got any other offers?

Depends how much I actually thought it was worth and if there were any variables round the corner ie Transfer window which may make someone to early or equally May make them back off.

The academy?

Etc.

If you set a valuation of £400k for a £250k house, would you expect someone to pay it? The value is what someone will pay for it, not what you think it is worth.

The academy?

Etc.

For businesses of this size and profile there are ALWAYS buyers. Venture Capitalists would take it tomorrow for the right price. Not Ashley's price.

Where he's struggled, is that he wants to attract a premium and the 'We Buy Any Car's of the corporate finance world are exactly that, bargain hunters.

PCP do offer a genuine alternative but they've probably only offered 10-15% more than a We Buy Any Car alternative so I can see why he's reluctant to deal at this level.

My gut feeling is that he'll gamble on survival and take it off the market unless there is another serious alternative in the background with a better overall package to him (and there might just be...).

The fact that he has openly put out a statement saying the club is for sale, negotiations have been going on for weeks and the Sky "interview" was practically an advert saying "please come and take this club off of my hands", suggest that he does have intention of selling it. The risk of relegation coupled with the current squad that we have put the club miles away from his £380m valuation or whatever it is. He won't get a better deal for it than a bid in the range of £250m-£320m.

He openly put out a statement in 2008 to say the club was up for sale as well, only it wasn't really.

Plus his interview was a way of sticking 2 fingers up to Rafa and the fans.

Can't fully recall the 2008 statement or whenever it was, but this must seem different to then.

The Sky interview was that, but journalists and fans alike managed to encapsulate it as an advert for the club. The whole thing was staged, there is a reason why he chose to say 'if someone wants to take this seat and fund NUFC' et cetera in it. He wants out. It makes financial sense for him to do so, as well as just sense in general.

I think personally, that PCP are valuing low because they recognise they might have a championship club on their hands at that price come the summer.  The price will probably drop again after two weeks, then the negotiations might start again in the summer if we stay up. Assuming PCP don't move on to another club.

If that is the case, I'd caution PCP against relying on that method being successful.

Ashley is an inherent gambler with a huge ego. His most memorable time whilst owning NUFC I would hazard a guess would be the Carroll and Sissoko deals.

He gambled, he won.

His worst times the endless shite signings that cost him money and relegations. He probably regrets those much more than the abuse.

If you back him into a 'take it or leave it' corner, he'll walk away every time. He thinks he knows best and, in fairness to him, he's a self-made billionaire which indicates that he probably has been right more than wrong in other areas of his professional life.

He can also afford to gamble. Not many can. If you were owned by a group of shareholders or family members there would inherently be some who are more risk averse than others, that's nature's way. He is not answerable to anybody else. There is nobody to rein him in, nobody who is allowed a voice or an opinion. It's no coincidence that he surrounds himself by people who tell him what he likes to hear.

He likes to think he knows best and their job is to ratify that. If it goes wrong, we'll all get pissed together and they'll tell him how funny it all is and that he was right all along.

That, for me, is the attraction to a new owner. No matter who comes in, they won't be a rich man-child like him. They will use almost certainly use a rational basis for decisions and take on board the views of others qualified in their respective fields.

This bloke has been winging it the whole time.

I think we are definitely worth more than £250m. You could argue, or it could be argued when it comes to valuation, that the club sold Andy Carroll for £35m...

Potentially the club is a billion dollar business in terms of assets, potential growth, future income etc. What other business could sell an asset that cost relatively little for £35m quid?

Now I understand that's not how it works and that there are lots of permutations involved, but howay, we are talking about a cash cow here, an untapped one with unlimited potential.

Invest even the TV money into players and you will see a huge upturn in terms of revenue.

I reckon Ashley doesn't have the fight in him to keep the club as an ongoing concern nor the money, that much is obvious. The club is at its most valuable right now and I would be looking for £300m + which I reckon is what he's after and rightly so. Sadly, I can see PCP not giving into that and the club being withdrawn from sale until the summer and by then we may lose Rafa and even be a league down which will f*** everything up. Hopefully a compromise will be met.

It would be a billion dollar business (or close to it) if it was a closed league. It's why American clubs are worth quite a bit more and why the only PL clubs approaching those numbers are the ones who are perceived to be entirely safe from the threat of relegation (which not coincidentally are the ones pulling in extra revenue through the CL and global fanbases).

On a slightly different track, what do we reckon will happen to the likes of charnley should a takeover happen? will he he kept on?

Going to be given the #10 shirt and play off Joselu I reckon.

The fact that he has openly put out a statement saying the club is for sale, negotiations have been going on for weeks and the Sky "interview" was practically an advert saying "please come and take this club off of my hands", suggest that he does have intention of selling it. The risk of relegation coupled with the current squad that we have put the club miles away from his £380m valuation or whatever it is. He won't get a better deal for it than a bid in the range of £250m-£320m.

He openly put out a statement in 2008 to say the club was up for sale as well, only it wasn't really.

Plus his interview was a way of sticking 2 fingers up to Rafa and the fans.

Can't fully recall the 2008 statement or whenever it was, but this must seem different to then.

The Sky interview was that, but journalists and fans alike managed to encapsulate it as an advert for the club. The whole thing was staged, there is a reason why he chose to say 'if someone wants to take this seat and fund NUFC' et cetera in it. He wants out. It makes financial sense for him to do so, as well as just sense in general.

If you want to sell a football club I don't think the way to advertise the fact is to go on TV. It would be done through business channels etc. It's not like billionaires would be watching his interview and get a brainwave from it.

Similar to him putting a public email address out there last time  :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

I reckon Ashley doesn't have the fight in him to keep the club as an ongoing concern nor the money, that much is obvious. The club is at its most valuable right now and I would be looking for £300m + which I reckon is what he's after and rightly so. Sadly, I can see PCP not giving into that and the club being withdrawn from sale until the summer and by then we may lose Rafa and even be a league down which will f*** everything up. Hopefully a compromise will be met.

It would be a billion dollar business (or close to it) if it was a closed league. It's why American clubs are worth quite a bit more and why the only PL clubs approaching those numbers are the ones who are perceived to be entirely safe from the threat of relegation (which not coincidentally are the ones pulling in extra revenue through the CL and global fanbases).

I did say potentially...