Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sometimes wonder if we’d gotten the go ahead to build a new bigger stadium as was proposed BFC ( before fat cunt ) whether SJH n FS wouldve bothered to sell and we couldve avoided all this shit

Probably would've had the same outcome in terms of having to sell to someone thick enough to buy. Shepherd and Douglas Hall were bleeding the club dry with their various schemes aimed at financially benefiting themselves to the detriment of the club, and I'm convinced they decided to get rid when they realized we weren't in a good spot. Future revenue had all been committed to fund our bigger signings at the time (e.g. Owen), and we had a dire squad with some players on massive wages who we couldn't shift and no real financial ability to change that. They saw the warning signs, found a buyer stupid enough to not do any due diligence (or maybe Ashley didn't care since we were always an add on to Sports Direct), and decided to cut and run. I imagine the same thing would've happened if we had slightly more income due to a bigger stadium.

I guess if we had survived what the previous regime were doing, a bigger stadium and the explosion of the PL money would have seen us pretty successful. We would have definitely been allowed to spent a hell of a lot more of our income that under Ashley.

I guess if we had survived what the previous regime were doing, a bigger stadium and the explosion of the PL money would have seen us pretty successful. We would have definitely been allowed to spent a hell of a lot more of our income that under Ashley.

I honestly think if the previous regime had had the explosion of new PL money wed be in a similar position to Spurs by now

I honestly think if the previous regime had had the explosion of new PL money wed be in a similar position to Spurs by now

Could you imagine the Shepherds with this money? We'd definitely be where Spurs are, but they'll be rolling into the stadium with gold teeth, a gold limousine and 10 Spanish prostitutes. And I'll be totally okay with it.

Could you imagine the Shepherds with this money? We'd definitely be where Spurs are, but they'll be rolling into the stadium with gold teeth, a gold limousine and 10 Spanish prostitutes. And I'll be totally okay with it.

He'd be spending on marquee players and we'd be better off compared to where we are now because we'd have a few big name players at least, even if they might be over the hill.

But it's still Freddie Shepherd. The lining of his own pockets wasn't the only issue even though it's a pretty big one - reducing our available resources, heavily influencing who who we'd buy since e.g. we brought exclusively from Willie McKay alot of the time just to further line the Shepherd family pockets. But his appointment in managers pre and post Sir Bobby was beyond dreadful. The guy appointed Souness, Roeder and Allardyce in an era when our competitors were going for world class talent (like Rafa) or progressive visionaries (Wenger at Arsenal).

I remember the day Souness was appointed when practically our entire fanbase felt sick to our stomachs with how bad that appointment was, especially when you look back to who the rumoured candidates for the job were and the calibre of some of those putting their names forward. Houllier? Nope. Lippi? Nope. Capello? Nope. Cuper? Nope. Hitzfeld? Clearly a gambling scam. How about the widely viewed as shiite manager from Blackburn, at a club at the bottom of the table and on the verge of the sack, with a reputation for falling out with players? YES! It's exactly the same sort of shit decision making Ashley has shown for most of his tenure here. Spurs right now have Ponchettino, a progressive genius of a manager who Shepherd would probably never appoint.

I'd argue the Sir Bobby era has heavily influenced how many people remember Shepherd. Sir Bobby was practically a Geordie with emotional ties to the club, a world class manager with vast continental experience at the highest levels, and coming towards the end of his career looking to return home - it was the easiest appointment in the world for Freddie, and something he should get minimal credit for (in the same way Ashley should get minimal credit for appointing Rafa, circumstances just aligned). There's no Sir Bobby out there for us, no easy appointment, so who do you honestly think Shepherd would be appointing? Probably a Moyes or Warnock.

He'd be spending on marquee players and we'd be better off compared to where we are now because we'd have a few big name players at least, even if they might be over the hill.

But it's still Freddie Shepherd. The lining of his own pockets wasn't the only issue even though it's a pretty big one - reducing our available resources, heavily influencing who who we'd buy since e.g. we brought exclusively from Willie McKay alot of the time just to further line the Shepherd family pockets. But his appointment in managers pre and post Sir Bobby was beyond dreadful. The guy appointed Souness, Roeder and Allardyce in an era when our competitors were going for world class talent (like Rafa) or progressive visionaries (Wenger at Arsenal).

I remember the day Souness was appointed when practically our entire fanbase felt sick to our stomachs with how bad that appointment was, especially when you look back to who the rumoured candidates for the job were and the calibre of some of those putting their names forward. Houllier? Nope. Lippi? Nope. Capello? Nope. Cuper? Nope. Hitzfeld? Clearly a gambling scam. How about the widely viewed as shiite manager from Blackburn, at a club at the bottom of the table and on the verge of the sack, with a reputation for falling out with players? YES! It's exactly the same sort of shit decision making Ashley has shown for most of his tenure here. Spurs right now have Ponchettino, a progressive genius of a manager who Shepherd would probably never appoint.

I'd argue the Sir Bobby era has heavily influenced how many people remember Shepherd. Sir Bobby was practically a Geordie with emotional ties to the club, a world class manager with vast continental experience at the highest levels, and coming towards the end of his career looking to return home - it was the easiest appointment in the world for Freddie, and something he should get minimal credit for (in the same way Ashley should get minimal credit for appointing Rafa, circumstances just aligned). There's no Sir Bobby out there for us, no easy appointment, so who do you honestly think Shepherd would be appointing? Probably a Moyes or Warnock.

Yeah you pretty much nailed it. Will never forgive that Souness appointment.

Was working in the restaurant the night he took Souness to dinner. Should have seen the writing on the wall, but I didn't think they'd ever sack Bobby for Souness.

The only manager we have ever had that i wasn't prepared to give a single second of time to. Even now it turns my stomach just seeing him on TV.

More absolute lies, so we literally cant sell any advertising space to anyone anywhere in the ground

Do these fucking charlatans think people are stupid. This stupid thumb like yes man is another one that needs a bomb up his arse. Id never ever tire of punching this utter cunt in the face

More absolute lies, so we literally cant sell any advertising space to anyone anywhere in the ground

Do these fucking charlatans think people are stupid. This stupid thumb like yes man is another one that needs a bomb up his arse. Id never ever tire of punching this utter cunt in the face

11 years and counting...still 50k attendances...actively laughing at fans while they boo a substitution...

I wonder if that half season stipulation is just standard practice that most Prem clubs would adhere to.

I guess the hassle of setting up a one off scoreboard advert isn't worth it.

Irrelevant tbh. Ashley wants Sports Direct everywhere, say hypothetically a company wanted to take all of his shitty sports shops advertising space, does anyone think for a second that the club would be accommodating to that?  :lol:

Also, its really no hassle at all to create an advert / upload a file.

Freddie Shephard was more David Sullivan than Daniel Levy.

He made one excellent appointment that was easy to make. The rest were bad/ok. 

He had standards mind you. Vastly superior to Ashley. He was at least ambitious for the club.

Was thinking this - if Shepherd got the modern Sky cash, he'd be blowing it like West Ham and Everton (overpaying for second tier players).

To imagine Shepherd would have the guile to place us beside Spurs and Liverpool over the longer term is dubious at best. He had us there for a while, but we had already slipped behind when Ashley came.