Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Personal abuse of Ashley is to be expected but I fail to see how it can be extended to "because he's a twat he'll be awful to deal with". There can be few people at the high end of business who have been involved in more sales and acquisitions than him in the last few years, when it seems he's taken over half the retail world.

Also wonder if selling a football club is as relatively straightforward, compared to other businesses, as some seem to think ?

Players' values are huge, the transfer market is volatile and their contracts can be very complicated. Agreeing a value for that part of the business could require a lot of negotiating.

Dunno why anyone is surprised, takeovers don't happen overnight.

I don't expect any conclusion for months tbh, I was surprised we got as much info as we did already.

I don't think anyone is surprised. I think it's more about people being sick of waiting, despite knowing that these things take ages.

What are you waiting for though?  if it happens then it happens but there's zero point in worrying about it either way.

I personally haven't read anything on the takeover for a couple of weeks.

What the hell do you think we're (i) waiting for? :lol:

Personal abuse of Ashley is to be expected but I fail to see how it can be extended to "because he's a t*** he'll be awful to deal with". There can be few people at the high end of business who have been involved in more sales and acquisitions than him in the last few years, when it seems he's taken over half the retail world.

Also wonder if selling a football club is as relatively straightforward, compared to other businesses, as some seem to think ?

Players' values are huge, the transfer market is volatile and their contracts can be very complicated. Agreeing a value for that part of the business could require a lot of negotiating.

e

But isn’t he known for being cunt in takeover deals, ‘he parks his tanks on your lawn’ is a quote that springs to mind.  Obviously it’s the other way round but he’s still likely to be a cunt!

Heads of Terms is definitely a UK/Europe thing because we just call it a Letter of Intent (LOI) over here in the US for this sort of thing - which outlines Buyer, Diligence timing, closing timing, financing contingencies, and other high level terms that will get inserted into the Purchase & Sale (PSA).

We have LOI in UK, I've only ever seen it used as agreement in principle for delivery of services between two companies in lieu of a signed contract, not in the context of a take over though.

Heads of Terms is definitely a UK/Europe thing because we just call it a Letter of Intent (LOI) over here in the US for this sort of thing - which outlines Buyer, Diligence timing, closing timing, financing contingencies, and other high level terms that will get inserted into the Purchase & Sale (PSA).

Yeah - same purpose but different term here in the UK Kanj.

We do have PSA's with the same meaning/interpretation though.

Guest Howaythetoon

The only way I can see this not being done is if he changes his mind at the very last minute which he's known to do. Dyer to West Ham for example. For all his faults, financially we are run very well in that there is no external debt or massive loss making going on. If we are at the stage it seems to be at, a price must have been agreed in principle that Ashley is obviously happy with and of course the would be new owners. I think its a case of crossing the t's and dotting the i's as already talked about before finalising.

As much as I want Ashley out and badly so, I won't deny I'm concerned about any new owner and their intentions. I don't think I could handle being owned by Saudis and while it would be dream stuff to see what has happened at City happen to us, I'll be satisfied if we are ran sensibly by people with acumen, skills and ambition even if that means being a mid-table/Europa League type club.

Again I know nothing, but I'm pretty positive and certain this takeover will happen. For our sake it has to.

If it doesn't, I can see us relegated again and AO starting up again... with Rafa walking of course.

Fingers and toes crossed and lets see what happens. Its pointless speculating about whether its happening or not. Lets just wait and see!

Personal abuse of Ashley is to be expected but I fail to see how it can be extended to "because he's a t*** he'll be awful to deal with". There can be few people at the high end of business who have been involved in more sales and acquisitions than him in the last few years, when it seems he's taken over half the retail world.

e

But isn’t he known for being cunt in takeover deals, ‘he parks his tanks on your lawn’ is a quote that springs to mind.  Obviously it’s the other way round but he’s still likely to be a cunt!

He's got a huge reputation for being incredibly difficult to work with. He's known to be a total renegade when it comes to custom, practice and good business manners too.

Essentially, he's ripped up the rule book in many respects and has the financial muscle not to give two fucks about the consequences.

I know someone very senior up in the commercial property world in London who dealt with him in the (relatively) early Sports Direct days and he's got some fairly eye opening views on dealing with MA.

One thing is very clear to us all is the ego maniac in him and how thin-skinned he has been towards any sort of personal criticism or slight. Didn't Pardew get fined for saying 'Mike's not a football man' or 'not from the football world and doesn't understand it' when he was here? :lol:.

Guest Howaythetoon

e

But isn’t he known for being c*** in takeover deals, ‘he parks his tanks on your lawn’ is a quote that springs to mind.  Obviously it’s the other way round but he’s still likely to be a c***!

He's got a huge reputation for being incredibly difficult to work with. He's known to be a total renegade when it comes to custom, practice and good business manners too.

Essentially, he's ripped up the rule book in many respects and has the financial muscle not to give two f***s about the consequences.

I know someone very senior up in the commercial property world in London who dealt with him in the (relatively) early Sports Direct days and he's got some fairly eye opening views on dealing with MA.

One thing is very clear to us all is the ego maniac in him and how thin-skinned he has been towards any sort of personal criticism or slight. Didn't Pardew get fined for saying 'Mike's not a football man' or 'not from the football world and doesn't understand it' when he was here? :lol:.

He's basically a man-child. I'm 100% certain the AO campaign personally affected him. He may be wealthy and successful, but he cannot seem to handle criticism at all and when it gets leveled at him he tries to take all the blame in a man up type front, but it comes across as forced and him wanting people to like him. The buck stops with me, sorry Kevin, Alan and Sam, sorry Chris etc. Its fake as fuck. God I hate the cunt!

The only way I can see this not being done is if he changes his mind at the very last minute which he's known to do. Dyer to West Ham for example. For all his faults, financially we are run very well in that there is no external debt or massive loss making going on. If we are at the stage it seems to be at, a price must have been agreed in principle that Ashley is obviously happy with and of course the would be new owners. I think its a case of crossing the t's and dotting the i's as already talked about before finalising.

As much as I want Ashley out and badly so, I won't deny I'm concerned about any new owner and their intentions. I don't think I could handle being owned by Saudis and while it would be dream stuff to see what has happened at City happen to us, I'll be satisfied if we are ran sensibly by people with acumen, skills and ambition even if that means being a mid-table/Europa League type club.

Again I know nothing, but I'm pretty positive and certain this takeover will happen. For our sake it has to.

If it doesn't, I can see us relegated again and AO starting up again... with Rafa walking of course.

Fingers and toes crossed and lets see what happens. Its pointless speculating about whether its happening or not. Lets just wait and see!

Is it due to the morals? Because Man City's owners aren't exactly from the most inherently moral place either and I doubt their fans care.

I think it'll happen as well but when? I've no clue. I'm praying its within this month and/or next. Couldn't bear a transfer window in which we desperately need additions with this hanging over.

Agree with much of that.

My gut feel is that the 'books' won't be the issue here and he's done many positive things in terms of the financial management of the club.

I would hazard a guess that he's probably trying to swerve the liability for the HMRC issue though using the 'everyone in the industry was at it' line.

The price being agreed in principle isn't the issue really. I'm sure it probably has been. It's what the due diligence process has done to the price (or, more likely, the terms of the deal) that will be stumbling blocks for sure.

There is always a looooong way between the outline price agreed at the beginning and the fee that ends up being paid when the business, it's processes and it's liabilities are better understood.

The price will almost certainly be based upon the EBITDA number established by the clubs accountants and his advisors but this number will be challenged by any buyer during DD as, undoubtedly, Ashley will have wanted to make the club appear to have a higher EBITDA and would have added back much of the stuff he's taken out by way of commercial revenue ('SD only paid £2 and a bag of Slazenger squash balls but it's really worth £20m per year so please value us on this and not how I did it' etc etc) and any personal benefits taken from the club such as paying for his chopper etc etc.

These will all be up for discussion with give and take needed on both sides.

One thing is for certain though, the old adage of 'time kills all deals' is true and could be a factor here.

Guest Howaythetoon

Is it due to the morals? Because Man City's owners aren't exactly from the most inherently moral place either and I doubt their fans care.

I think it'll happen as well but when? I've no clue. I'm praying its within this month and/or next. Couldn't bear a transfer window in which we desperately need additions with this hanging over.

I dunno really, I know most people who are fabulously wealthy will have shat on people and done some bad so morally i'd be a bit of a hypocrite if say I gladly welcomes the Arabs and not the Saudis, but the Saudis man are for me responsible for a lot of shit in the world today and are a vile and nasty dynasty if you like.

When we are winning the CL thoughI'm sure I won't be giving too fucks. Ideally, it will be respectable owners who want to grow the club organically and won't have ties to dodgy states, countries etc.

Guest Howaythetoon

Agree with much of that.

My gut feel is that the 'books' won't be the issue here and he's done many positive things in terms of the financial management of the club.

I would hazard a guess that he's probably trying to swerve the liability for the HMRC issue though using the 'everyone in the industry was at it' line.

The price being agreed in principle isn't the issue really. I'm sure it probably has been. It's what the due diligence process has done to the price (or, more likely, the terms of the deal) that will be stumbling blocks for sure.

There is always a looooong way between the outline price agreed at the beginning and the fee that ends up being paid when the business, it's processes and it's liabilities are better understood.

The price will almost certainly be based upon the EBITDA number established by the clubs accountants and his advisors but this number will be challenged by any buyer during DD as, undoubtedly, Ashley will have wanted to make the club appear to have a higher EBITDA and would have added back much of the stuff he's taken out by way of commercial revenue ('SD only paid £2 and a bag of Slazenger squash balls but it's really worth £20m per year so please value us on this and not how I did it' etc etc) and any personal benefits taken from the club such as paying for his chopper etc etc.

These will all be up for discussion with give and take needed on both sides.

One thing is for certain though, the old adage of 'time kills all deals' is true and could be a factor here.

Thanks for your insight and analysis Minhosa, its reassuring to read and makes a whole load of sense. again fingers crossed.

e

But isn’t he known for being c*** in takeover deals, ‘he parks his tanks on your lawn’ is a quote that springs to mind.  Obviously it’s the other way round but he’s still likely to be a c***!

Essentially, he's ripped up the rule book in many respects and has the financial muscle not to give two f***s about the consequences.

He's basically a man-child. I'm 100% certain the AO campaign personally affected him. He may be wealthy and successful, but he cannot seem to handle criticism at all and when it gets leveled at him he tries to take all the blame in a man up type front, but it comes across as forced and him wanting people to like him. The buck stops with me, sorry Kevin, Alan and Sam, sorry Chris etc. Its fake as fuck. God I hate the cunt!

100%. Hazard a guess he's been bullied at school and has spent his life trying to prove everyone wrong and wanting to be liked.

He's obviously insecure when he appoints 'yes men' or those in the professional grave yard because he wants to be seen to do them a favour, for them to love him and give him loyalty back because he's their saviour.

Kinnear, McClaren, Pardew - all yesterdays men, the grateful dead. Led to believe 'Mike' believed in them when nobody else did. What a man.

He appears to appoint people based on boosting his own self-esteem rather than competence.

Rafa was Charnley's appointment as far as I'm aware.

Guest Howaythetoon

e

He's basically a man-child. I'm 100% certain the AO campaign personally affected him. He may be wealthy and successful, but he cannot seem to handle criticism at all and when it gets leveled at him he tries to take all the blame in a man up type front, but it comes across as forced and him wanting people to like him. The buck stops with me, sorry Kevin, Alan and Sam, sorry Chris etc. Its fake as f***. God I hate the c***!

100%. Hazard a guess he's been bullied at school and has spent his life trying to prove everyone wrong and wanting to be liked.

He's obviously insecure when he appoints 'yes men' or those in the professional grave yard because he wants to be seen to do them a favour, for them to love him and give him loyalty back because he's their saviour.

Kinnear, McClaren, Pardew - all yesterdays men, the grateful dead. Led to believe 'Mike' believed in them when nobody else did. What a man.

He appears to appoint people based on boosting his own self-esteem rather than competence.

Rafa was Charnley's appointment as far as I'm aware.

100% and spot on with Rafa being Charnley's man IMO. Although it appears Rafa fell into his lap so to speak by seeking out the job (what a man!). I also believe in Rafa Ashley has finally met more than his match and cannot win, because I don't think Rafa will ever resign, he will believe he can do the best he can with whatever he's given and would only ever leave if a big club or good project turned up and even then they would have to buy him out of whatever contract he's under. Ashley sacks Rafa and that's it for him. Rafa will never lie to fans and will say it how it is so if funds don't come in January if we are unsold, unlike the slime ball Pardew, he won't blame sovereign states, he'll say the owner won't invest. Increased pressure on Ashley. That's why he did that awful SSN interview prior to Spurs at home, or was it WH? I can't remember! That was his way of trying to combat Rafa. Any other manager or minion goes against Ashley like that and he's toast. He can't do that with Rafa though.

I dunno really, I know most people who are fabulously wealthy will have shat on people and done some bad so morally i'd be a bit of a hypocrite if say I gladly welcomes the Arabs and not the Saudis, but the Saudis man are for me responsible for a lot of s*** in the world today and are a vile and nasty dynasty if you like.

When we are winning the CL thoughI'm sure I won't be giving too f***s. Ideally, it will be respectable owners who want to grow the club organically and won't have ties to dodgy states, countries etc.

They are like, but the bold sentence refutes it for me. I've spoilered a YouTube video I found quite interesting on where Man City's ownership and funds come from, they aren't entirely clean either but the fans don't really care one jot.

We have LOI in UK, I've only ever seen it used as agreement in principle for delivery of services between two companies in lieu of a signed contract, not in the context of a take over though.

Man City buyers issued an LOI then bought Robinho before all the formalities were completed I believe.

I dont see how Ashley or whoever is carrying the can for his decisions can swerve the HMRC.  Yes the club may be liable to pay fines if proven guilty of anything dodgy but the people who did it will be at risk of legal action, not any future MD or owner.

I dont see how Ashley or whoever is carrying the can for his decisions can swerve the HMRC.  Yes the club may be liable to pay fines if proven guilty of anything dodgy but the people who did it will be at risk of legal action, not any future MD or owner.

The issue is the Ltd companies not any specific person. The Ltd company will have the liability not Ashley personally. This isn’t fraud or opaque wrongdoing per say. It’s a grey area of tax law that we will have been advised upon.

It may well be challenged in the courts and found to be legal.

The issue is the Ltd companies not any specific person. The Ltd company will have the liability not Ashley personally. This isn’t fraud or opaque wrongdoing per say. It’s a grey area of tax law that we will have been advised upon.

It may well be challenged in the courts and found to be legal.

Sounds like it may not be anywhere as bad as we fear then. Even then with court challenges and the legal or tribunal route, it could be years before anything sticks anyway. Hope it isn't this holding things up as we'd be stuck with Ashley for another decade.

e

Outside of his signature 'fake' closing down sales I heard a few stories about Ashley's practices (during his early years), concerning dealings with suppliers. He was infamous for suddenly shifting the goalposts, and reneging on already agreed terms - used to have employees to park their cars in front of delivery trucks, blocking the truck's exit until new terms were reached. Rumor was floating around too that Mort & Ashley fell out, and CM travelled to SJP (this occured well after leaving the chairman position) because there was a dispute over the monies owed to Mort's firm which handled the acquisition of the club (from Ashley's side of things).

The "tanks on the front lawn" quote...... wouldn't surprise me if that came from Whelan, or a former boardmember of JBB, given that Ashley used his presence on the board to basically sabotage Whelan's efforts to keep JBB out of admistration.

Interesting re Mort as Ashley doesn't use Mort's law firm anymore.  In typical Ashley style, he uses a much much cheaper law firm.

Given the identity of the law firm that he used to use, I'd also question the truth of Ashley's story about not knowing he needed to repay the existing debt when he purchased the club.