Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It’s not cheeky at all in my mind. The asset is worth a certain value in the premier league and a certain value in the championship and the offer reflects that.

They currently would have some say in where it ends up though, so it is cheeky to basically try to cover for that by paying less if it doesn't go well. Probably just a negotiating tactic anyway.

Again with another house analogy, you cannot agree to pay £170k on the basis that the house only stays or goes up in value but pay £150k if it turns out the market crashes in your area or they build a bunch of flats next door in a years time. Especially if you're someone who makes decisions which determine whether they end up building flats next door in a years time. You go into it accepting risk & do your analysis of the situation upfront. Then you pay what you deem it to be worth.

PCP are thinking, even if it's done before Jan, and they have that window to bring in players, one window isn't necessarily enough to halt a relegation slide. The lack of investment in the playing squad is an issue which goes back years, and is on Ashley's back in my opinion. It's reasonable for them to want to protect themselves from that at least in the short term, for the remainder of this season for example, anything after that would then be their own doing.

Yeah i see that as fair to a point. If they would currently value the club at less than they're offering based on the risks involved, but are willing to pay more with security that it stays up I think that makes a level of sense. Otherwise they cant get close to his supposed valuation. He may see it as them trying to cover for getting it wrong though. Knowing Ashley he'll want to reverse it and have them paying him X if the club goes on to do well based on what he's put in place recently.

It’s not cheeky at all in my mind. The asset is worth a certain value in the premier league and a certain value in the championship and the offer reflects that.

They currently would have some say in where it ends up though, so it is cheeky to basically try to cover for that by paying less if it doesn't go well. Probably just a negotiating tactic anyway.

Again with another house analogy, you cannot agree to pay £170k on the basis that the house only stays or goes up in value but pay £150k if it turns out the market crashes in your area or they build a bunch of flats next door in a years time. Especially if you're someone who makes decisions which determine whether they end up building flats next door in a years time. You go into it accepting risk & do your analysis of the situation upfront. Then you pay what you deem it to be worth.

PCP are thinking, even if it's done before Jan, and they have that window to bring in players, one window isn't necessarily enough to halt a relegation slide. The lack of investment in the playing squad is an issue which goes back years, and is on Ashley's back in my opinion. It's reasonable for them to want to protect themselves from that at least in the short term, for the remainder of this season for example, anything after that would then be their own doing.

Yeah i see that as fair to a point. If they would currently value the club at less than they're offering based on the risks involved, but are willing to pay more with security that it stays up I think that makes a level of sense. Otherwise they cant get close to his supposed valuation. He may see it as them trying to cover for getting it wrong though. Knowing Ashley he'll want to reverse it and have them paying him X if the club goes on to do well based on what he's put in place recently.

Thats understandable. But im sure they will need to get closer to his alleged 380m.

Luke Edwards being a pessimist again.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/11/21/amanda-staveley-challenged-return-serious-offer-buy-newcastle/amp/

Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley will challenge prospective buyer Amanda Staveley to come back with a serious offer to buy the club after an opening bid of less than £300m was rejected.

Newcastle are braced for a second offer to be made in the next few days and want to see a significant increase in the amount of money on the table. Although Ashley is willing to take payment in instalments, there is much work to be done in terms of agreeing an acceptable price.

If that does not happen, the talks will be on the brink of collapse and the club would effectively be taken off the market. Staveley and her PCP financial backers are the only serious bidders and Ashley does not want a prospective takeover hanging over the business all season.

The thought of Ashley ending his attempts to fund a buyer will send a shudder of dread through supporters, who are desperate to see the end of his parsimonious regime on Tyneside. But he will not be pressurised into anything and has always maintained he would only sell for a price he believes is fair.

Ashley is genuine in his desire to sell up, but he will not be messed around and there is a growing concern within St James’ Park that the negotiations with Staveley are not progressing as they should be at this stage of the process.

Suspicions have been heightened by the fact news of the bid, which was made last week, has been leaked out when both parties have signed Non-Disclosure Agreements. Indeed, sources close to the talks have even raised the idea that Staveley could be using Newcastle to raise her own profile, although it is difficult to see why she would want, or need, to do so.

Those close to her insist her interest is sincere and she believes Newcastle are a club of vast untapped potential.

However, when Ashley launched his takeover bid of Newcastle 10 years ago, there was no publicity around it and the deal was done before anything came out in the media. He has always been wary of those who court publicity when trying to do business deals.

As things stand, negotiations will continue and a second bid is anticipated before the end of the week after both sides denied reports that the first one had been a take it or leave it offer.

Manager Rafa Benitez has remained level-headed throughout the process and will only believe a takeover is going to happen when the contracts are signed. He is more worried about the team’s form after three successive defeats and does not want to be drawn into any aspect of the negotiations.

Although Benitez has a list of potential transfer targets in place for January he does not know whether there is going to be any money to spend and has also played down suggestions he will be given £100m to spend if Staveley completes a takeover before the end of the year.

According to the Independent, the funding may be coming from the Far East, not the Middle East, which does not suggest a sugardaddy in the wings. And as we're talking about a managed fund, it's likely that those investors will expect some sort of return on their money.

I think if it wasn't for Ashley's unpopularity, the mood music on here would be quite different.

They won't make a return on their money unless they run us correctly, as we'll be in the Championship missing the sky money.

Either way, I want Ashley gone, full stop.

Genuine question. Which owner of a football club has made any profit on it?

I'd be worried about any potential owners who saw the club as an opportunity to make money. Even with the rise of the TV deals, that's just going to push up the player costs with it. Breaking even or making a very modest profit are medium term goals. There are much better things to invest £300m + into if a good return on the investment is the main reason behind the investment.

Apart from Man U, I can't think of a club that's made money for their owners, and now I'm not even sure of them.

I think there are clubs like Liverpool and Arsenal who break even, but who are still successful because they were already established at the top of the tree when the big money came in. Other 'break even' clubs like ourselves run the risk of relegation, to a greater or lesser extent, because all the Premiership clubs are wealthy now and the standard is fairly even. Even a club like Everton can be in trouble.

Breaking into the elite group now needs a big investment, and one that is sustained over more than one or two seasons.

Teamtalk so its probably bullshit:

Meanwhile, Staveley’s group have also stipulated that the £300million price will only be fully achieved if Newcastle go on to win the Champions League in the next 10 years.

"Newcastle fans expect to win the Champions League after being taken over..."

Meanwhile, Staveley’s group have also stipulated that the £300million price will only be fully achieved if Newcastle go on to win the Champions League in the next 10 years.

That just can't be true. It's mental. [emoji38]

Could see that beyond lost in Chinese whispers and it being an add on to the main deal myself, similarly with the relegation thing it won't be as simple as that but probably some truth somewhere.

That just can't be true. It's mental. :lol:

Been reliably told it's actually the World Cup

If those CL clauses are true, I can't see the takeover happening. No way does Ashley accept a deal where they possibly say, 'here's £150m up front now, and should Newcastle win the CL in the next ten years, you'll get the other half.' Nobody would accept that considering you can't guarantee that kind of success regardless of how much money you pump into a club.

If it's true then they are as clueless as Ashley and we'd be better off without them as well.

I don't believe it for one moment.

"Newcastle fans expect to win the Champions League after being taken over..."

I already expect us to win it, even with Ashley in charge. Lose every game 4-3 on the way.

Cheers. that's very interesting if this is a second bid, and that there was already a previous £350 million instalment bid that Ashley turned down.

That link just takes me to there facebook feed, and I can't see anything NUFC related. Whats being said? ???

Cheers. that's very interesting if this is a second bid, and that there was already a previous £350 million instalment bid that Ashley turned down.

That link just takes me to there facebook feed, and I can't see anything NUFC related. Whats being said? ???

Scroll down.

Scroll down.

https://www.thenational.ae/sport/dubai-financier-amanda-staveley-offers-to-buy-newcastle-united-in-one-off-payment-of-under-300-million-1.677595

Why would the buyer be adding a clause around qualifying for the champs league?  Ashley can't affect that after selling.

Wouldn't it be the seller if anyone was going to add such a clause, like when a player leaves for another club and the fee goes up if they are successful, because the buyer gambled on the team doing well with the new player and agreed to the clause in order to push the deal through?

Scroll down.

https://www.thenational.ae/sport/dubai-financier-amanda-staveley-offers-to-buy-newcastle-united-in-one-off-payment-of-under-300-million-1.677595

Dubai financier Amanda Staveley offers to buy Newcastle United in one-off payment of under £300 million

Owner Mike Ashley weighs chance to immediately walk away from club after second bid from consortium led by Amanda Staveley

Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley is weighing an offer for the English Premier League side which could see him walk away immediately but would mean selling for less than what he had initially hoped for when he put the club up for sale.

Dubai financier Amanda Staveley’s second offer to buy Newcastle United is at an amount below £300 million but crucially she is willing to pay this amount in one lump sum rather than in instalments, a source close to negotiations said.

When announcing his intention to sell last month, Mr Ashley had signalled he would accept payment in instalments and was said to be seeking between £350m and £400m.

Ms Staveley’s PCP Capital Partners has been in discussions with Mike Ashley, Newcastle’s owner, since then and an initial offer of £350m to be paid in instalments over a period of three years was rejected by Mr Ashley because it contained clauses that would have altered the price in the event of relegation from the Premier League.

Newcastle have a bitter experience of relegation in recent years, having gone down from the top flight twice since Mr Ashley first invested in the club in 2007. Before their last relegation, for the 2015-2016 year, the club made a profit after tax of £4m on revenue of £126m. For the period, its match day revenue was £25m, broadcasting brought in £73m, with commercial and other income at £28m.

The Daily Mail said on Tuesday that Mr Ashley was furious over media reports suggesting that the offered figure was in the region of £300m, insisting it is “way lower than that”. However, the figure is “not much lower” than £300m, a source close to the negotiations told The National on Tuesday, and the one-off payment would allow Mr Ashley to walk away free and clear immediately. PCP Capital Partners declined to comment while no one at Newcastle could be reached.

Mr Ashley has in the past said he would be willing to sell Newcastle, particularly in the wake of relegation in 2009, before taking the club off the market in the absence of any serious bid. Reports in 2013 put the figure he would be willing to accept to sell the club then at £267m, allowing him to recoup his investment which includes the £134.4m he paid to buy it outright. Last month, he appeared to be committed to a sale in the wake of reported interest from the consortium led by PCP Capital Partners as well as willing to accept payment in instalments.

The investors behind the deal include both Gulf and Chinese parties. Law firm Dentons is representing Mr Ashley, however he is understood to be very much in charge of the negotiations from his side. Now there is a sense, according to the source, that if a final figure can be agreed then Mr Ashley will let go of the club and the new owners, led by Ms Staveley, will then take on all the future risk – both on and off the field.

Regardless of the final outlay required to acquire Newcastle, it is universally agreed that there is plenty of opportunity to be tapped from the growth of the Premier League, the passion of the fan base and the fact that St James’ Park is a world-class stadium, in the city centre, with a 52,000 capacity.

Former English Football Association executive Adrian Bevington said that the club has the potential to be a giant in the Premier League.

“There’s an incredible buzz about Newcastle as a football club and a football city. The growth potential there in terms of money and success both on and off the pitch,” he said.

“Domestically, they’ve not won a trophy since 1969 so anyone who lands a trophy will be incredibly popular and lauded for eternity up there. Then there’s European opportunities as well, if you invest properly in a team, we’ve seen what happened in recent years with Manchester City and Chelsea.”

Ms Staveley’s consortium would be keen, it is understood, to begin to seize that opportunity as quickly as possible by wrapping up the deal to buy the club before the January transfer window opens.

However, that is looking increasingly unlikely as the parties wrangle over an initial valuation, delaying the entering of a period of exclusivity and the subsequent serious due diligence that would be required to close the sale. Tied into this is the Premier League’s Owners and Directors Test which would decide if Ms Staveley is a fit and proper person to run Newcastle. It is understood that this process takes about a month and while the ball has started rolling on it that it cannot be completed until the sale is finalised.

It is expected that there will be spending on new players in January, should the takeover happen in time.

Suppose this was already posted?

Suspicions have been heightened by the fact news of the bid, which was made last week, has been leaked out when both parties have signed Non-Disclosure Agreements. Indeed, sources close to the talks have even raised the idea that Staveley could be using Newcastle to raise her own profile, although it is difficult to see why she would want, or need, to do so.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/11/21/amanda-staveley-challenged-return-serious-offer-buy-newcastle/amp/

Suppose this was already posted?

Aye. Don't believe that for one minute. Luke Edwards being a miserable cunt again. Getting as bad as Ryder.