Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm happy that he's turning up to see how shit we are, and he's watching his 'asset' depreciate in value right in front of his eyes. Again, another relegation might finally get some of our fanbase to wake the fuck up.

The waking up will only happen when we start struggling in the Championship. In the beginning, many will assume we'll just walk it again.

Fate was sealed as soon as they made it clear that they prioritised making a much money as possible in the summer as opposed to pushing it forward. The dominoes have toppled very predictably and the cash will be given to the next boss to get us promoted. We know how this will pan out.

Copied the following post from toontastic and it sums the situation up perfectly for me. For those of us who were around following NUFC in the 70s, 80s and 90s this current situation has officially killed off the NUFC we grew up with and its not coming back either. I simply dont identify with the people who go to SJP anymore. Anyway, onto that copied post.....

I don’t think this is a knee jerk to a poor result at home to a weak side but I feel like Ashley has finally pushed firmly down on the pillow and suffocated this club this season after a decade of holding it just above the club’s nose. 

The club has been utterly destroyed, we were a great football club, not necessarily on the pitch or in terms of trophies but we were a proper football club and there was a great connection between club and fan base even in the times we struggled which imo is rare in the modern game. 

Football is the highlight of many people’s weeks, I’m not ashamed to admit it can often be the highlight of mine. He’s ripped that from us, I can no longer say it can ever be that to me we’re tragic, utterly tragic. For 10 years we’ve depended on some rough diamond we picked up for cheap turning into a player, then when they do we’ve essentially depended on them to carry the whole team as opposed to building anything around them. I don’t even enjoy watching us anymore, watching players as devoid of any talent such as Joselu plod around the pitch just isn’t football.

There’s no passion surrounding the club, no buzz, no excitement, and there hasn’t been since the first year he bought us, before he decided to drive the club into its first calamities by attempting to disgrace club legends. 

I used to love watching football, but honestly my whole passion for it has subsided. I don’t even bother watching Champions League games or keeping track of most scores. I quite regularly have no idea of the placing of other PL sides, as what’s the point? We’re going to be struggling to keep our heads above water like the little, irrelevant, tin pot club we have become.  

My whole feeling was summed up this week, I was listening to a podcast and when they were discussing Man Utds comeback win against us one of the pundits said “yeah but I mean it was only Newcastle” it wasn’t an attempted dig, it was just the truth and I took no offense or exception to it, the bloke was spot on. That’s exactly what we are, a club that every team in the league will see as a winnable game. If you told me all this 10 years ago I’d feel sick to my stomach but now I just don’t care, he’s sucked any soul or passion out of Newcastle United Football Club. 

What is this all for? What on Earth is the purpose? If it was money he could quite easily make far more elsewhere, if it was advertising he could have spent all he’s invested on far higher profile advertising. I think overall it’s been negative to his company, clearly his image, and obviously the football club. 

It’ll be a shame to see Rafa Benitez go, his reign has once and for all proven Ashley will never care about the club, if ever he was going to invest it would be when he had a world class manager at the helm. Instead yet another legend of football has been embarrassed, degraded, and pushed out in an insulting and disgraceful way. That’s Newcastle United. 

they would be hounding this cunt out at liverpool, manure, and even west ham.

We would have 15/20 years ago. Our fan base has changed so much. Staggering how he can sit there unchallenged after all he's done. Staggering until you remember the type of fan who goes nowadays

Yeah was in some proper angry protests in the 89 relegation.

Fate was sealed as soon as they made it clear that they prioritised making a much money as possible in the summer as opposed to pushing it forward. The dominoes have toppled very predictably and the cash will be given to the next boss to get us promoted. We know how this will pan out.

:sadnod:

Round and round and round we go. I wish Rafa wasn't such a thoroughly decent man and told Ashley where to stick his profit before walking once the transfer window shut.  This season will be like losing a loved one to cancer, as the 'atmosphere' at St James' proves, when it should have been a full on anti-Ashley revolt. Such a strange status quo and I fear people will turn on Rafa before they turn on Ashley. If they do that will be the final nail in the coffin as far as my interest in this damn football club goes. :(

Guest neesy111

:snod:

Round and round and round we go. I wish Rafa wasn't such a thoroughly decent man and told Ashley where to stick his profit before walking once the transfer window shut.  This season will be like losing a loved one to cancer, as the 'atmosphere' at St James' proves, when it should have been a full on anti-Ashley revolt. Such a strange status quo and I fear people will turn on Rafa before they turn on Ashley. If they do that will be the final nail in the coffin as far as my interest in this damn football club goes. :(

Rafa has to pay Ashley £3m if he quits before his contract ends, I'm guessing it's just that which is stopping him from walking imo now.

:sadnod:

will the same fans, be chuffed with a promotion next season, and believe we will invest and show ambition once we are back up? :lol:  heard one say we would invest 200mil on total sport at the end of last season.

Copied the following post from toontastic and it sums the situation up perfectly for me. For those of us who were around following NUFC in the 70s, 80s and 90s this current situation has officially killed off the NUFC we grew up with and its not coming back either. I simply dont identify with the people who go to SJP anymore. Anyway, onto that copied post.....

I don’t think this is a knee jerk to a poor result at home to a weak side but I feel like Ashley has finally pushed firmly down on the pillow and suffocated this club this season after a decade of holding it just above the club’s nose.

The club has been utterly destroyed, we were a great football club, not necessarily on the pitch or in terms of trophies but we were a proper football club and there was a great connection between club and fan base even in the times we struggled which imo is rare in the modern game.

Football is the highlight of many people’s weeks, I’m not ashamed to admit it can often be the highlight of mine. He’s ripped that from us, I can no longer say it can ever be that to me we’re tragic, utterly tragic. For 10 years we’ve depended on some rough diamond we picked up for cheap turning into a player, then when they do we’ve essentially depended on them to carry the whole team as opposed to building anything around them. I don’t even enjoy watching us anymore, watching players as devoid of any talent such as Joselu plod around the pitch just isn’t football.

There’s no passion surrounding the club, no buzz, no excitement, and there hasn’t been since the first year he bought us, before he decided to drive the club into its first calamities by attempting to disgrace club legends.

I used to love watching football, but honestly my whole passion for it has subsided. I don’t even bother watching Champions League games or keeping track of most scores. I quite regularly have no idea of the placing of other PL sides, as what’s the point? We’re going to be struggling to keep our heads above water like the little, irrelevant, tin pot club we have become. 

My whole feeling was summed up this week, I was listening to a podcast and when they were discussing Man Utds comeback win against us one of the pundits said “yeah but I mean it was only Newcastle” it wasn’t an attempted dig, it was just the truth and I took no offense or exception to it, the bloke was spot on. That’s exactly what we are, a club that every team in the league will see as a winnable game. If you told me all this 10 years ago I’d feel sick to my stomach but now I just don’t care, he’s sucked any soul or passion out of Newcastle United Football Club.

What is this all for? What on Earth is the purpose? If it was money he could quite easily make far more elsewhere, if it was advertising he could have spent all he’s invested on far higher profile advertising. I think overall it’s been negative to his company, clearly his image, and obviously the football club.

It’ll be a shame to see Rafa Benitez go, his reign has once and for all proven Ashley will never care about the club, if ever he was going to invest it would be when he had a world class manager at the helm. Instead yet another legend of football has been embarrassed, degraded, and pushed out in an insulting and disgraceful way. That’s Newcastle United.

Great post and spot on. :thup: That might be worth sharing online and seeing if it will go viral.

they would be hounding this cunt out at liverpool, manure, and even west ham.

We would have 15/20 years ago. Our fan base has changed so much. Staggering how he can sit there unchallenged after all he's done. Staggering until you remember the type of fan who goes nowadays

Yeah was in some proper angry protests in the 89 relegation.

Yeah even in 2006 after the sheff utd game there was big post match protests. 12 years on and the type of fan has changed. As the cracking post above says, I think it's dead. Even if we got took over I don't identify with the people who go to SJP now. Least I have the memories of when I had a season ticket 97-04 when we were a proper club

I genuinely have never cared as little about football, as I do at the moment. Newcastle, England, etc... it all stems from the absolutely horrendous situation that the club I have followed since childhood, has been run in to the ground with absolutely no care in the world attached.

It just sickens me what a world class manager we have in charge, yet he is shackled by a completely inept owner.

That tweet above just sums everything up - nothing more needs to be added to that.

I will never tell people off for going to watch. What I would say is that the “support your side through thick and thin” unwritten rule is - surely - based on the premise that your club is trying to win; or at least compete. Call me Vulcan or autistic or pretentious or weird, but in my mind if he treats my club as a business; then I will respond like a customer. The product is shit and I won’t invest my time and money. That’s what I’d ask our match-going fans to think about. He’s changed the parameters of the very notion of supporting a club. Reacting the same way you always have - which is entirely admirable in some respects - no longer appears logical, intelligent, productive or even appropriate.

I will never tell people off for going to watch. What I would say is that the “support your side through thick and thin” unwritten rule is - surely - based on the premise that your club is trying to win; or at least compete. Call me Vulcan or autistic or pretentious or weird, but in my mind if he treats my club as a business; then I will respond like a customer. The product is shit and I won’t invest my time and money. That’s what I’d ask our match-going fans to think about. He’s changed the parameters of the very notion of supporting a club. Reacting the same way you always have - which is entirely admirable in some respects - no longer appears logical, intelligent, productive or even appropriate.

👏

Nail hit on head

👏

Excellent post.

I will never tell people off for going to watch. What I would say is that the “support your side through thick and thin” unwritten rule is - surely - based on the premise that your club is trying to win; or at least compete. Call me Vulcan or autistic or pretentious or weird, but in my mind if he treats my club as a business; then I will respond like a customer. The product is s*** and I won’t invest my time and money. That’s what I’d ask our match-going fans to think about. He’s changed the parameters of the very notion of supporting a club. Reacting the same way you always have - which is entirely admirable in some respects - no longer appears logical, intelligent, productive or even appropriate.

Nail head on.

I will never tell people off for going to watch. What I would say is that the “support your side through thick and thin” unwritten rule is - surely - based on the premise that your club is trying to win; or at least compete. Call me Vulcan or autistic or pretentious or weird, but in my mind if he treats my club as a business; then I will respond like a customer. The product is s*** and I won’t invest my time and money. That’s what I’d ask our match-going fans to think about. He’s changed the parameters of the very notion of supporting a club. Reacting the same way you always have - which is entirely admirable in some respects - no longer appears logical, intelligent, productive or even appropriate.

Combination of hitting thing and fixing thing.

Spot on. Mind if I nick this?

Nailed it. Exactly the feelings I had when I cancelled my season ticket in August.