Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

That article suggests that neither Staveley or Ashley are willing to invest in January to significantly increase our chances of survival.  I know there are no guarantees when signing players but improving even just 2 or 3 of our weak links would make a massive difference to us.  If neither want to protect their investment maybe they're both as bad as each other?

Probably more of a bargaining point. If she knows Ashley isn't going to invest in January, there is a good chance the club will be relegated and the value of the club will be massively damaged. So That gives her a strong bargaining point and can just say that she shouldn't have to make a purchase that is reliant of her to invest additional money to make the basic price she paid him worth her while.

I've explained that really badly.

No i understand what you're saying.  It seems that neither of them wants the responsibility of the January investment though, which is a worry for me.  I'm no business expert but you'd think if Staveley had huge financial backing then we'd get a situation where the squad got some heavy investment to guarantee survival as much as realistically possible, whether the takeover had gone through or not.  That isn't mentioned in that article so maybe Staveley doesn't have the financial muscle that we're all hoping for?

From what's been reported, it sounds like the 'heavy investment' that is required is only likely to be about £30m because the takeover isn't going to be completed in time so we are relying on loans from Ashley. If that's the case I don't blame PCP for worrying about the very real chance of relegation. That investment should have been made in the summer to guarantee safety.

If it is only £30m then i think we're probably fucked anyway.  That barely buys you 2 decent players. Unless we could pull off some very clever loans then it wouldn't be enough IMO.

That article suggests that neither Staveley or Ashley are willing to invest in January to significantly increase our chances of survival.  I know there are no guarantees when signing players but improving even just 2 or 3 of our weak links would make a massive difference to us.  If neither want to protect their investment maybe they're both as bad as each other?

Probably more of a bargaining point. If she knows Ashley isn't going to invest in January, there is a good chance the club will be relegated and the value of the club will be massively damaged. So That gives her a strong bargaining point and can just say that she shouldn't have to make a purchase that is reliant of her to invest additional money to make the basic price she paid him worth her while.

No i understand what you're saying.  It seems that neither of them wants the responsibility of the January investment though, which is a worry for me.  I'm no business expert but you'd think if Staveley had huge financial backing then we'd get a situation where the squad got some heavy investment to guarantee survival as much as realistically possible, whether the takeover had gone through or not.  That isn't mentioned in that article so maybe Staveley doesn't have the financial muscle that we're all hoping for?

From what's been reported, it sounds like the 'heavy investment' that is required is only likely to be about £30m because the takeover isn't going to be completed in time so we are relying on loans from Ashley. If that's the case I don't blame PCP for worrying about the very real chance of relegation. That investment should have been made in the summer to guarantee safety.

If it is only £30m then i think we're probably f***ed anyway.  That barely buys you 2 decent players. Unless we could pull off some very clever loans then it wouldn't be enough IMO.

It seems to be very much common sense for both PCP and Ashley to repeatedly talk about a relatively small amount being made available, like £30M.

The real amount may well be (has to be, really) a fair bit larger.

If the real amount was known, logic dictates, then player prices quoted at us would be much, much higher, we would be held to ransom, really.

SO, I am (in consequence) VERY HAPPY to have this £30M figure quoted, and re-quoted, in any and all Media !!

If it is only £30m then i think we're probably f***ed anyway.  That barely buys you 2 decent players. Unless we could pull off some very clever loans then it wouldn't be enough IMO.

It seems to be very much common sense for both PCP and Ashley to repeatedly talk about a relatively small amount being made available, like £30M.

The real amount may well be (has to be, really) a fair bit larger.

If the real amount was known, logic dictates, then player prices quoted at us would be much, much higher, we would be held to ransom, really.

SO, I am (in consequence) VERY HAPPY to have this £30M figure quoted, and re-quoted, in any and all Media !!

Fair point! ?

I think Ashley is evil enough to let the club tumble back into the Championship.  I can just imagine him saying 'I'll show these stupid fans who runs the show here'  I wouldn't put it past him to pull out what he is owed and let the club fold rather than sell the club to someone who might make a big success out of it

I think Ashley is evil enough to let the club tumble back into the Championship.  I can just imagine him saying 'I'll show these stupid fans who runs the show here'  I wouldn't put it past him to pull out what he is owed and let the club fold rather than sell the club to someone who might make a big success out of it

Nope, he just wants a daft amount of money relegation or not. If we go down it only hurts the club, it's not like it will hit him personally so he can just cut costs after relegation. Yes the club will be worth less, but then he'll figure he can come back up again with this same squad. He's not going to let go unless he makes a very fat profit.

Even if PCP do fund £30-40m worth of transfers there's still a very real chance we'll go down and it's purely down to Ashley's woeful mismanaging of the club, again. He has made us a risky investment and he deserves to be penalised for that.

PCP are holding the cards in this negotiation (if Ashley wants to sell). They can back out and come back in for us in the summer - £300m without a relegation clause if we're still in the PL, £200m or less if we're in the Championship.  Ashley either takes his biggest gamble yet and refuses to spend, or the fat mess puts his hand in his pocket and lets Rafa drag us out of this situation.

Whatever happens, the closer we get to the transfer window the stronger PCP's hand becomes.

If we were to get £30-40m plus a hike in the wage bill, then Rafa would keep us up. He had us on a run earlier with this poor squad so 3/4 1st team players should do it.

Do you think other teams at the bottom aren't going to throw money at staying up too?

West Ham & Palace have 20m & 30m players in their squad and will be able to outspend us..Swansea and west brom could too

I fear the 3 that came up will go straight back down

If we were to get £30-40m plus a hike in the wage bill, then Rafa would keep us up. He had us on a run earlier with this poor squad so 3/4 1st team players should do it.

Do you think other teams at the bottom aren't going to throw money at staying up too?

West Ham & Palace have 20m & 30m players in their squad and will be able to outspend us..Swansea and west brom could too

I fear the 3 that came up will go straight back down

Only three clubs in the league spent close to £40m last January and only one was in the lower part of the league (Palace spent £35m).  So I wouldn't assume that West Ham, Palace and Swansea are all going to spend over £40m this time round.  January isn't normally the window for big spending.

Just get the feeling that its a matter of when now, not if. All of the more concrete news (stuff from Caulkin et al, pictures of Ashley and Staveley leaving meetings, Staveley at the Liverpool game etc) has been positive and it's only been news outlets who normally don't report on us putting out the negative stuff. Apart from Luke Edwards of course, the arsehole. The silence hasn't helped either, nor has .com being negative about the whole thing since it all started.

I reckon PCP are forcing Ashley to take the club seriously by putting actual sums of money on what will happen if Ashley lets the club eff up again. It sounds like they are our only serious prospective buyer, and their interest is linked to us having our won-the-raffle manager who won't take fourth or fifth best for ever. If he has any sense, all of this focus on all-too-likely consequences will force him to sell up. The alternative would be to run the club properly to protect his investment, and we all know he is incapable of that.

Next news will be a formal announcement IMO.

I have a feeling the takeover isn't going to happen.  I am not convinced he really wants to sell despite what's being said, and that he's playing some game to see if someone offers a stupid amount of money with the new TV deal coming up.  If he was genuine wanting to sell IMO he'd have done it by now as with each week the value of the club is just going down.  Newcastle was always just a vehicle for him to peddle SD and I can't see why that has changed.

I have a feeling the takeover isn't going to happen.  I am not convinced he really wants to sell despite what's being said, and that he's playing some game to see if someone offers a stupid amount of money with the new TV deal coming up.  If he was genuine wanting to sell IMO he'd have done it by now as with each week the value of the club is just going down.  Newcastle was always just a vehicle for him to peddle SD and I can't see why that has changed.

Think he wants to sell  .  It make no sense him keeping the club.

Am sure even he knows you have to invest in the club to keep it in this division and he's  not prepared  to do this .

I didn't say it would necessarily be a formal announcement of a sale. ;)

5Live reckon that Rafa (and we) are knackered, as we are relying on Ashley to provide funds to Rafa, to try and keep us up - even if the takeover goes through. It will take 30-40 days for it to be ratified by the FA/PL which wipes out the January window.

Guest firetotheworks

It's 5live tbf, if they said the sky was blue I'd still check. The supposed idea is that Ashley stumps up £30m and then gets it back afterwards, but that depends on the deal going ahead before the end of January. Every scenario has its pitfalls, particularly with any Ashley involvement.

Ashley's ideal scenario would probably be to sell us for a big profit then see us relegated so he could gloat about what a great deal he got.

At the same time I don't think his ego could stand someone succeeding where he has failed, which means he might hang onto us out of pure spite.

The future direction of the whole club is in the balance and I'm really struggling to feel optimistic tbh.