Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Howaythetoon

I know f*** all other than that it’s done. No one knows the ins and outs or even who will be our owner. I have a bit of guesswork like the rest.

You swear on your life? :)

I'd swear on yours mate!

Well, not worth much then.

Hey don't put yourself down, you're a good poster.

I think they'd like to get the Man City game out of the way first and foremost and it will be a soft announcement when it does become official, with a small press release and there will be only a modest budget for January.

An argument for not announcing it until after the window could be to temper any wild expectations when it comes to the transfer window itself. I mean we are being linked with Luiz for example!

Imagine it becomes official and there really is only 15m to spend or 20m, I think a large percentage of the numpty brigade on social media and in the actual media themselves would moan and bitch about that. I think that's why we are being linked with a few loanees because the budget will be modest.

Maybe that's why Ashley will have to front the transfer window spending because no-one expects him to splash out  anyway so if we do spend 15-20 people will think, fucking hell, well that's not too shabby.

Unless we could realistically get top players to the club, I don't think any new owner would risk spending silly money in an inflated market on average players that may or may not be the difference.

Rafa is astute enough and knowledgeable enough to be able to work with a few players in the right areas coming in to give us that boost and little extra. For me this season is all about staying up, Ashley or with a new owner. If they release 100m and we go down...

I fully expect a modest budget, a few going out and maybe a 'keeper, number 10 and a CM coming.

This is all guess work of course.

I am, however, very very confident that we will finally be seeing an end to Ashley very very soon.

To be honest, this would be the most common sense way of dealing with the takeover. I'm with you on this one, 100%  O0

Part of me is thinking that maybe it's done, but we wont make it official until after January. If it's announced prior to January and clubs get wind of an obvious cash injection, we could get stung in the January market. Could be keeping our cards close to our chest for the sake of spending in January. Wishful thinking maybe like.

Part of me is thinking that maybe it's done, but we wont make it official until after January. If it's announced prior to January and clubs get wind of an obvious cash injection, we could get stung in the January market. Could be keeping our cards close to our chest for the sake of spending in January. Wishful thinking maybe like.

That's what I'm thinking, keep it low key, get some names in on loan or whatever then when they are sown up or close to announce the takeover.

Rafa knows this and he's just playing it out really well saying we need players in but he doesn't know the budget and so on. He's doing it so clubs don't drive up the already inflated prices. He'll just need a few players to keep the team going well. But he needs his top targets delivered, not his 3rd of 4th choices. He didn't back Ashley in his press conference but he didn't paint him any worse either all because he probably knows the takeover is done and this time, he'll get the players he needs unlike in the summer.

He'll splash the cash in the summer no doubt with bigger name signings.

When is the next PL overseas tv deal up for negotiation anyway? The current one runs until 2019, so should be soon-ish you would imagine, and if projections are correct there will be another huge increase meaning transfer fees will no doubt go up once more. Investing big in January, before this happens, might actually make sense even though summer windows usually provide (slightly) better value for money. You also have to consider there will be players looking to move to get into WC squads that could play to our advantage if we have a decent amount to spend. In short, I don’t think it’s a given that waiting to invest big is a good idea per se for an ambitious new owner with funds available, especially considering the treath of relegation.

When is the next PL overseas tv deal up for negotiation anyway? The current one runs until 2019, so should be soon-ish you would imagine, and if projections are correct there will be another huge increase meaning transfer fees will no doubt go up once more. Investing big in January, before this happens, might actually make sense even though summer windows usually provide (slightly) better value for money. You also have to consider there will be players looking to move to get into WC squads that could play to our advantage if we have a decent amount to spend. In short, I don’t think it’s a given that waiting to invest big is a good idea per se for an ambitious new owner with funds available, especially considering the treath of relegation.

Bids should be in January and announcement of new deal in February

Guest Howaythetoon

Awful part of me fears we'll never hear anything of it again :lol:

Part of me fears we will, again and again and again

Its went way too far for that. If the club doesn't get sold, there will be a statement from Ashley and if PCP pull out, there will be a statement from them.

Guest Howaythetoon

My line of thought was the same initially, but the way the market is at the moment, it doesn't matter what budget you have, even s*** players are going to cost 'silly' money. Whether you have a budget of 10m or 100m you are going to pay over the odds. Remember, most clubs do not actively want to lose their players, especially their better players (unless you're owned by Ashley and managed by Pardew!), so it will always take silly money to prize them away. Walker to Man City for example.

My feeling now is the club do not want to have a huge or bigger wage bill while our position as PL club is precarious and I feel an announcement of a takeover would send agents into a frenzy in that regard. It is these leeches that dictate transfers and the transfer market and not so much the clubs. If we are suddenly flush with cash, a 10m player we could afford on say 40K a week could quickly become a 10m player demanding 80k a week. If anything I think this, coupled with a modest budget which has to go hand in hand, would be a factor in not announcing an official takeover and not so much not wanting to be fleeced on player valuations.

Its the summer and I'm the agent of Joselu, Newcastle come calling, I pretty much know their ceiling on wages and what most of their current players are on, NUFC will know what he's currently on and will have a good indication of what he would accept and working together the club and agent agree a fee. Post takeover and I'm the agent of Joselu, Newcastle are at the bottom end, its January, and I'm going to dictate the terms here and ask for a hell of a lot more for my client.

Conversely, if I'm Stoke and NUFC are flush with cash, Joselu will cost you 10m and not 5m...

I can definitely see logic in delaying an announcement either way.

For me though, the biggest hold up is the actual legalities of it all, FA and PL ratification and the transfer of total ownership from marketing deals, kit sponsors, players contracts, any land leases and other contractual obligations. A lot of that can be worked around, but if these are serious people, they will want everything signed, sealed and well delivered.

I imagine Ashley would want the same also, so he has no on going obligations to the 'business' as well.

2018? If true we may well see prices go up massively in the summer (again).

It's most likely that we are targeting players at clubs higher up in the table who are not getting much game time- in which case we need to get the deals over the line as soon as possible to help them get up to speed but that also allows us to have those deals agreed in principle ready to go through once the window opens.

I saw an interview with Rupert Murdoch the other day and he said that the next TV rights deal will be massive and he thinks that at least 4 different companies will sign contracts