Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Joselu and Murphy combined wages wouldn’t match that of a 10-15 goal striker that can play some.

We would also only have Aaron’s as a wide option behind the other 2 and he’s not to be trusted to stay fit.

Rafa doesn’t rate Gamez or Mbemba and they would be starting if not for those lads coming in with literally no first team cover on the bench.

Joselu will be on £40k and Murphy on half that imo. £60k would get you somewhere close to a decent striker, especially if we sold Gayle or Mitro on the back of it.

The one hope I'm clinging to is we didn't spend too much in the summer because Ashley knew there were interested buyers, and was always going to sell around now. Not that really tallies with his Sky interview but I'm hoping that was it all the same.

You could have saved 5m on Joselu and kept Murphy, who was probably better.

We flogged plenty of players,have plenty on loan and released and had many leave for free,surley we made a few quid. Was the cash from promotion not that much?

How the f*** is a club with gates 2 times plus, not generating enough to compete with Brighton and Huddersfield.

I thought it was fairly obvious that Ashley's cronies (Barnes now) who control the cash are only spending literally what we have sitting in the account and we're not utilizing any cash facilities (like a line of credit or loan from a bank) to pay for transfers or structure deals that include payments of fees in installments. Rafa's annoyance is that he's forced to only spend money that is in the account, and the TV money comes in installments throughout a season.

Without looking at their respective cash situations, can only assume Brighton and Huddersfield used some sort of cash facility (Line of Credit? Loan?) and paid for transfers with that or scheduled to pay them later via installments with interest or etc to the selling club. They went above and beyond and are spending and doing whatever it takes to be successful ASAP and Ashley has instructed Barnes to go bare bones, spend only what we have in the accounts and don't go over that.

We're not able to compete with Brighton and Huddersfield in the transfer markets right now because those clubs are doing whatever it takes to spend money (even money that is months away) to sign players and will pay agents, etc to get s*** done. We're not and it's costing us.

To boil it down, if we get 100m for TV deal paid 4x in a season, we're only spending whatever installment is wired into our account. Brighton and Huddersfield are spending that 100m up front by obtaining and paying for financing to make sure they get it done.

Joselu and Murphy combined wages wouldn’t match that of a 10-15 goal striker that can play some.

We would also only have Aaron’s as a wide option behind the other 2 and he’s not to be trusted to stay fit.

Rafa doesn’t rate Gamez or Mbemba and they would be starting if not for those lads coming in with literally no first team cover on the bench.

Joselu will be on £40k and Murphy on half that imo. £60k would get you somewhere close to a decent striker, especially if we sold Gayle or Mitro on the back of it.

Rafa didn't get to choose which of his targets to get, it's really not that hard to grasp that he didn't have that choice.

Rafa didn't get to choose which of his targets to get, it's really not that hard to grasp that he didn't have that choice.

So he doesn’t have control over transfers?

People ask why Rafa would spend £12m on Jacob Murphy but not use that money for a striker better than Joselu, but the club have shown time and time again they simply won't pay the wages a £15m+ player would command, or the fees agents command for facilitating such a deal. They are also much more willing to find the money for a player that's viewed as an asset that will appreciate in value rather than simply what we actually need here and now.

They've done it time and time again, just as they have lied to the fans and managers over the years. It's ridiculously simplistic to suggest otherwise.

He literally said time and and time again, all summer long that they had targets and the club was tasked with delivering them. He then said Ashley didnt keep his word over what they had agreed.

How could he have made it any clearer? :lol:

He literally said time and and time again, all summer long that they had targets and the club was tasked with delivering them. He then said Ashley didnt keep his word over what they had agreed.

Exactly, how many times does it have to be said.  :lol:

Imagine this not happening, it'll get sooo ugly soo quickly. As if the recent results aren't bad enough. Desperate for a win tomorrow to get at least a tiny bit of breathing space and positivity around the place.

I think we got caught out on Abraham. I know Rafa was double crossed, but fucking hell have something else ready in the pipe line. We paniced with Joselu. <<  theres no way he was our next best option.

I think we got caught out on Abraham. I know Rafa was double crossed, but fucking hell have something else ready in the pipe line. We paniced with Joselu. <<  theres no way he was our next best option.

That's a fair comment. But then again, if your first choice is literally a free transfer (albeit with a sizeable loan fee) and you've already done all the groundwork behind the scenes to get him here why would you possibly believe it wouldn't be done?

We'll never know if we'd be any better off but we're not on about missing out on a top class striker here, and it's the same with the goalkeeper he wanted. Just good, solid upgrades on what we had with a view to staying up and building from there. And they still fucked it up. Absolutely ridiculous.

He didn’t prioritise them. He knew early doors what was available to him budget wise. If a 15 goal striker is much needed then you make him top of the list. He seems to think so right now, with his team not scoring enough goals, but instead last minute panick bought Joselu whilst in between buying players who’ve not improved us one bit.

Last thing we needed was more squad depth, we needed quality.

Abraham was not his single uptop striker target. He’s nothing like Joselu, so now we have 3 strikers we need to get rid of.

Atsu, leftback and striker. Nothing else until he sold so more, and had we a reliable striker we’d have Gayle sold for premium and been able to buy another key player such as a goalkeeper. ...again wtf was he thinking not selling Darlow?

NO! He didn't get what he was told earlier on! Goal posts moved!!

The transfer market isn’t static, the goalposts move every minute due to player and agent power. Neither the club nor him were fully prepared at how vicious this one was going to be and both parties could have done much more in it.

It’s quite possible Rafa isn’t used to dealing with this Low end budget, he used to it where mistakes can be made and rectified quickly with another signing. Unfortunately for him he needed to get almost every signing bang on, he’d stood a better chance if he brought in quality over quantity.

The transfer market isn’t static, the goalposts move every minute due to player and agent power. Neither the club nor him were fully prepared at how vicious this one was going to be and both parties could have done much more in it.

I meant what kind of funds that were promised to him early on! Later on he had much less compared to what was agreed on beforehand.

I meant what kind of funds that were promised to him early on! Later on he had much less compared to what was agreed on beforehand.

I don’t think anything was agreed, not a figure anyhow. Ashley slime balled his way out of it lawyer style hiding behind carefully chosen words.

Bit like well reinvest all of the Carroll money and us thinking it would mean £35m of transfer fees.

Still though that said I believe Rafa could have done more with what he was given. I honestly think the last window has just made our situation worse. We may have been better standing completely still.

Not a single bit of criticism can be levelled st Rafa for our work in the transfer market. He was fucked over time after time.

He had a keeper and a striker tied up and they were both vetoed by Ashley’s croney. I’ve no doubt there were others we don’t know about as well.

We waited to see if anyone would buy our shit so we had more money for a striker and when no bids materialised we went for a cheap option with Premier League experience. At the time Mitro wasn’t trusted and Gayle was injured so we needed someone. How anyone can even suggest that one of the league’s most professional managers didn’t have a plan b or c is fucking baffling.

I don’t think anything was agreed, not a figure anyhow. Ashley slime balled his way out of it lawyer style hiding behind carefully chosen words.

Bit like well reinvest all of the Carroll money and us thinking it would mean £35m of transfer fees.

I'm not gonna fucking bother!

That's a fair comment. But then again, if your first choice is literally a free transfer (albeit with a sizeable loan fee) and you've already done all the groundwork behind the scenes to get him here why would you possibly believe it wouldn't be done?

We'll never know if we'd be any better off but we're not on about missing out on a top class striker here, and it's the same with the goalkeeper he wanted. Just good, solid upgrades on what we had with a view to staying up and building from there. And they still fucked it up. Absolutely ridiculous.

Given the fact he went down a division from a top club and scored over 20 goals the interest would have been widespread.

He had the choice. I believe it was Rafa who went there to convince him, but you just dont know how many of his parent clubs colleagues would have been texting him against coming here, there were many senior players at chelsea who had it in for Rafa.

Rafas biggest mistake was having any trust in Charnley and all the yes men who pretend to get stuff done behind the scenes ultimately he doesn't sign players outright or Tammy Abraham would have been here this season. He talks of a good relationship with Charnley on occasions. Just seems they let him down with little back up options.

Basically we shouldn't have laid all our eggs in one basket with Tammy.

Wise move I feel!  :lol:

!O!K!!!!!