Newcastle United 0-1 Bournemouth - 04/11/17 - post match reaction from page 27

Greg

Guest neesy111

He didn't have much alternative to that CM pairing yesterday

I know that, that's why I said going forward....  Merino is a massive miss.

First post since FT yesterday and I think I'm still half cut, but f*** me, right now my gran is a better footballer than Javier Manquillo and she's been dead about eight years.

EDIT: Second half the c*** lost possession, they did us on the counter and by the time they'd fluffed the chance this useless f***er had just about wandered into his own half. Absolutely inexcusable.

Thought first half was decent. Agree with a lot of comments but don't understand the lack of concern that we're losing to the "lesser" sides home and away and have the real big guns to face yet. I would consider our fixtures as a reintroduction to the PL up to this point to be fairly undaunting, much worse to come .

It's not really a surprise though, that's the thing. Without genuine premier strikers, it's a bit daft to have expectations of beating the 'lesser sides'. Every match is going to be a grind, we'll hopefully get through this season thanks to being well drilled by Rafa.

That header he did near the end in his own box, man. Abysmal

He actually let the ball bounce to volley it away and then just flopped at it with a header :lol:

So many times yesterday he just shanked the ball forward too when he got it from Lascelles/Lejeune. Really hope Mbemba/Gamez is LB for the Man Utd game.

Guest neesy111

Thought we looked more shakey at the back when Clark come on for Lascelles.  Guessing Lejeune and Clark haven't played with each other much.

Much said about Shelvey yesterday? I know he's an arsehole and permanently on the brink of doing something stupid but between him and Rafa he's starting to look like a PL midfielder to me. He was all over yesterday, tackling and tracking, and on the ball he looks a lot sharper.

That ball to Gayle was lush.

Much said about Shelvey yesterday? I know he's an arsehole and permanently on the brink of doing something stupid but between him and Rafa he's starting to look like a PL midfielder to me. He was all over yesterday, tackling and tracking, and on the ball he looks a lot sharper.

He’s by far our best player like (when Merino isn’t playing).

Unfortunately, like last season we are too reliant on him though. It’s no surprising that the bulk of our poor results last year came in games that he didn’t play or wasn’t up to scratch.

Guest neesy111

We don't see anywhere near enough forward runs by our CM's imo, my friend made a good point that Shelvey's goal record for someone with his outlet and ability is pretty poor, but I do think this by choice in our formation and system.

When his Hollywood balls don't come off people get on his back like but without them we have very little going forward unless the opposition is all over the shop like Bournemouth were in the first half. He can find a gap in an otherwise incredibly tight game which completely opens the opposition up for an attack, it's great to see like.

I just really want to see Merino ahead of him again like we did against Liverpool, Merino battling in midfield (and hopefully being better on the ball than he was in that game) with Shelvey in space behind him allowing him to spread the ball about with more freedom. With Gayle on the pitch he hopefully has a better outlet to hit too.

I still don't think it'll be enough to turn us into a good attacking side but we'll hopefully be back to creating chances again.

Guest neesy111

When his Hollywood balls don't come off people get on his back like but without them we have very little going forward unless the opposition is all over the shop like Bournemouth were in the first half. He can find a gap in an otherwise incredibly tight game which completely opens the opposition up for an attack, it's great to see like.

I just really want to see Merino ahead of him again like we did against Liverpool, Merino battling in midfield (and hopefully being better on the ball than he was in that game) with Shelvey in space behind him allowing him to spread the ball about with more freedom. With Gayle on the pitch he hopefully has a better outlet to hit too.

I still don't think it'll be enough to turn us into a good attacking side but we'll hopefully be back to creating chances again.

I think he needs to learn when to do them and when not to, as you can tell he's expecting players to make a run which they don't make.

It was similar when HBA would try to take on an opponent and lose the ball, people would groan about that as well. I would still want Shelvey to keep trying those key passes because at least 1/2 of them per match lead to a goal scoring opportunity. Yeah they don’t always work, but would you rather have Colback/Anita playing sideways 6 yard passes which go nowhere for 90 minutes?

Guest neesy111

Don't like him in a two. He's too static. Needs to be in a three to make sure we aren't overrun in midfield. Felt at times he was trying balls that were a bit too ambitious to Yedlin in particular. Ended up not reaching Yedlin who is then miles up the pitch with an easy counter for Bournemouth. 

That's a fair point.

A snippet from a Chris Waugh piece in the Chronic..

Boos at St James’ - and a furious Benitez

It came as a surprise to hear a portion of the St James’ Park crowd boo Newcastle after this loss, albeit a disappointing one. But Benitez’s anger continued long after the final whistle, with the Spaniard stressing to the fourth official that Gayle should have been given a late free-kick. In his post-match Press conference, Benitez was so annoyed he refused to comment on the referee’s performance.

Who here thinks they were booing the team? I was sure it was at the goddamn awful officiating.

It came as a surprise to hear a portion of the St James’ Park crowd boo Newcastle after this loss, albeit a disappointing one. But Benitez’s anger continued long after the final whistle, with the Spaniard stressing to the fourth official that Gayle should have been given a late free-kick. In his post-match Press conference, Benitez was so annoyed he refused to comment on the referee’s performance.

Who here thinks they were booing the team? I was sure it was at the goddamn awful officiating.

Cook has admitted it was a foul and thought he may have got a red. Was total disbelief around the stadium that the referee and linesmen totally missed such a clear and obvious foul and gave nothing.

Add that to the pivotal offside decision and previously mentioned strange imbalances regarding penalties and sending offs and you really do start to wonder when the often assumed "balances itself out" theory will kick in.

Did anyone see a replay of Defoes attempt which led to the corner? Watching live he looked offside.

The MOTD analysis was bizarre. It was like they wanted a story about what Howe said at half time and the reporting was designed to suit that agenda. It looked like it was all Bournemouth and several key moments and decisions were omitted to suit.

Cook has admitted it was a foul and thought he may have got a red. Was total disbelief around the stadium that the referee and linesmen totally missed such a clear and obvious foul and gave nothing.

Add that to the pivotal offside decision and previously mentioned strange imbalances regarding penalties and sending offs and you really do start to wonder when the often assumed "balances itself out" theory will kick in.

Think it might have been Carragher yesterday (after the Man City offside goal) made the point that they don't even themselves out over a season. Mind blowing stuff but it really irks me how the cliche is always rolled out. In reality most of the top teams benefit massively from refereeing decisions over the course of a season and teams like us often suffer. Conversely last year in the Championship the officials seemed determined to 'even the playing field' by giving us practically nothing.

Really thought we had this game in the bag. Still mega disappointed we served up a narrow loss.

Just shows you can't polish a turd, no matter how well Rafa has done in some games, we are still quite shit in too many areas to be consistent. We need that sale and funds ready January.

New GK, LB, RB, N.10 and striker who can sore in this league.  Worrying amount of investment needed for January. Maybe loan a AM from Everton in Jan if they still got 4 fighting for 1 spot.

RefWatch on skysports news: Gayle not offside - goal should have stood.

I wouldn't mind so much if we were well beat, but tight margins like that can make all the difference come the end of the season.

He said the linesman wasn't up with play as well. Very annoying because it came at a time when we were well on top and I think had we got the goal we would have gone on to win it.