The other games today 2018/19

Greg

Guest alijmitchell

Baffling to me that people think that should be a penalty.

Defenders getting penalized for blocking shots now. :lol:

I mean I'd understand if he was flailing with his arm like a maniac. But I'm not sure what else he can do other than run around with his arm stuck to his body.

He’s jumped with his back towards the ball making himself bigger, seemingly not giving a f*** if it hit his arm. Defenders have hidden behind that for years, no hiding place now.

What? So defender arnt allowed to attempt to block the ball with arguably the biggest part of there body?

Need to get those suitcase wrapping machines you see at airports for the back 4, failing that, saw their arms off

I mean I'd understand if he was flailing with his arm like a maniac. But I'm not sure what else he can do other than run around with his arm stuck to his body.

He’s jumped with his back towards the ball making himself bigger, seemingly not giving a f*** if it hit his arm. Defenders have hidden behind that for years, no hiding place now.

What? So defender arnt allowed to attempt to block the ball with arguably the biggest part of there body?

Need to get those suitcase wrapping machines you see at airports for the back 4, failing that, saw their arms off

:lol:

Of course they are but if it’s a handball then it’s a pen.

What’s the difference between that and making an attempt to win the ball with a slide tackle but missing the ball?

There's a huge difference ffs :lol:

What’s the difference between that and making an attempt to win the ball with a slide tackle but missing the ball?

Why?

When you make a tackle you’re making a genuine attempt to win the ball knowing if you miss, you’re conceding a penalty.

If you’re jumping in the air to block a shot and you move your arms out and it stops an attempt on target, why should that not be a pen too?

The vast majority of fouls aren’t deliberate.

Not a good night for VAR. :lol:

VAR is not working how I wanted, but I still feel technology is the way forward to correct bad decisions.

:thup: Absolutely and I don't think it's the systems' fault if referees are clueless.

I know they're changing the rule anyway but handball is a massive issue like, can't go on like this with VAR. I'd give an indirect free kick for an unintentional handball in the box unless its stopping a certain goal where I'd give a penalty

Why?

When you make a tackle you’re making a genuine attempt to win the ball knowing if you miss, you’re conceding a penalty.

If you’re jumping in the air to block a shot and you move your arms out and it stops an attempt on target, why should that not be a pen too?

The rules don't say fouls have to be deliberate though.

I know they're changing the rule anyway but handball is a massive issue like, can't go on like this with VAR. I'd give an indirect free kick for an unintentional handball in the box unless its stopping a certain goal where I'd give a penalty

Something has to be done about it and your suggestion would be a lot better.

Why?

If thats the case then didn't the referee make the right call to give Man United the penalty?

Fouls general don’t have to be deliberate, that is why you have the ‘careless’ category for example, but handball does have to be a deliberate handball.

A player throwing his body toward the ball to block a shot, and it accidentaly hits his arm on the way which is down by his side, that is not a foul.

But the handball rule is one of those ‘rules’ in the book that is not really a rule but a principle. There is no clear definition of what is deliberate handball. Only guidelines. That is why it causes so much controversy. Because it is completely open to opinion and interpretation.

Guest neesy111

Fouls general don’t have to be deliberate, that is why you have the ‘careless’ category for example, but handball does have to be a deliberate handball.

A player throwing his body toward the ball to block a shot, and it accidentaly hits his arm on the way which is down by his side, that is not a foul.

But the handball rule is one of those ‘rules’ in the book that is not really a rule but a principle. There is no clear definition of what is deliberate handball. Only guidelines. That is why it causes so much controversy. Because it is completely open to opinion and interpretation.

Yeap.  What is an unnatural position?  Because that one tonight wasn't unnatural for someone just looking to block a shot.  If his arm was way out or above his head then I'd say it was unnatural.

Why?

If thats the case then didn't the referee make the right call to give Man United the penalty?

Deliberate handball is the rule, so no

Guest neesy111

Why?

Or unnatural position.

Yeap.  What is an unnatural position?  Because that one tonight wasn't unnatural for someone just looking to block a shot.  If his arm was way out or above his head then I'd say it was unnatural.

If you watch the replay, his first movement is his arm out, then he jumps. I don’t think that’s natural at all.

Not a good night for VAR. :lol:

VAR is not working how I wanted, but I still feel technology is the way forward to correct bad decisions.

in theory if the laws of the game were very clear and defined it would work but theres so much subjectivity in decisions like that or spurs pen at the weekend that I don't think it improves decisions in a meaningful enough manner to warrant the disruption to games it has. Also the idiots making the decisions before are the same idiots making the decisions in the end with var

Why?

That's fair enough.

Both arms start the same, he moves his right arm out, jumps and his left arm goes up. I’d have thought a natural position would be both arms going up as he’s jumping in order to jump higher.

The defender in this instance keeps the right arm low-ish after seeing the direction of the shot. More a pen the more I watch the replays.