Chelsea 3-0 Newcastle United - 28/01/18

Disco

Fwiw 9 of the players who started or went on Rafa bought, most of them are dreadful at this level, they did the job of getting us out of the Championship, and why Rafa should have been backed to bring in better players last summer and in this window, but it's still mainly his team like, shitty as it is.

Not seen any of this but from what I've read, the match (first half in particular) was your absolutely typical example of us playing pretty well but not being able to finish off chances (unlike them), and a good performance from a goalkeeper that should have been playing for us.

#thanksmike

Not seen any of this but from what I've read, the match (first half in particular) was your absolutely typical example of us playing pretty well but not being able to finish off chances (unlike them), and a good performance from a goalkeeper that should have been playing for us.

#thanksmike

That’s exactly how it was.

Guest firetotheworks

Fwiw 9 of the players who started or went on Rafa bought, most of them are dreadful at this level, they did the job of getting us out of the Championship, and why Rafa should have been backed to bring in better players last summer and in this window, but it's still mainly his team like, shitty as it is.

It's his Championship team. Still properly classing that as his team, now that we're in the Premier League is daft.

Guest alijmitchell

#thanksmike

Aye I've seen Caballero a few times recently now and he's been brilliant - undoubtedly would have gained us at least 3 points this season. He's absolutely massive as well.

#thanksmike

It was just the first half where we played well, definitely not all match.

2-0 flattered Chelsea at half time in my opinion but we were dreadful second half

It's his Championship team. Classing that as his team, now that we're in the Premier League is daft.

I know but i knew that would get a reply from yourself  :lol:

Rafa has been let down so badly it's untrue, it's a miracle we're not bottom with this team and have a chance to stay up.

It's his Championship team. Still properly classing that as his team, now that we're in the Premier League is daft.

Also getting sick of this "Rafa doesn't play good football" narrative. If we had the players he wanted for this season, we wouldn't have to be going on the defensive and trying nick games 1-0.

#thanksmike

It was just the first half where we played well, definitely not all match.

2-0 flattered Chelsea at half time in my opinion but we were dreadful second half

Aye, heard that to be fair. Wouldn't amaze me if he told them to generally conserve energy and avoid injury in that second half like. Depressing.

Also getting sick of this "Rafa doesn't play good football" narrative. If we had the players he wanted for this season, we wouldn't have to be going on the defensive and trying nick games 1-0.

That is true in the league but in this game, Rafa setting up to try to win 0-0 is daft imo. Give it a go and let the players play with a bit of freedom, i mean we lost 3-0 playing defensive anyhoo. In the league more often than not he's getting it right, we'd be bottom if he hadn't.

Guest alijmitchell

Out of these 8 - Gayle, Ritchie, Manquillo, Hayden, Clark, Joselu, Atsu, Murphy - 2 of them (Atsu and Murphy) have so far been two of our best players this season. Out of the 6 that are left, only 2 were bought for this season, (Joselu and Manquillo) and were admittedly awful. The rest of the team are a bunch of players he didn't sign and cast offs from previous managers.

Again, not seen the match but IIRC the stats at half time were about 47% possession to us, almost as many passes completed and eight shots (five on target) to their two (both scored). Those are vastly different to what we've seen against Man City and other good teams recently. Obviously stats aren't everything but were we really that negative?

That is true in the league but in this game, Rafa setting up to try to win 0-0 is daft imo. Give it a go and let the players play with a bit of freedom, i mean we lost 3-0 playing defensive anyhoo. In the league more often than not he's getting right, we'd be bottom if he hadn't.

Fair enough tbh. I admit, I wanted us to have a bit of a go at Chelsea today, it was a cup game, a free hit. I was happy with how we played up until after their second goal. If what Dave's posted is the case then I could let it slide. If it wasn't, that was utterly embarrassing.

Guest firetotheworks

Again, not seen the match but IIRC the stats at half time were about 47% possession to us, almost as many passes completed and eight shots (five on target) to their two (both scored). Those are vastly different to what we've seen against Man City and other good teams recently. Obviously stats aren't everything but were we really that negative?

We were far more expansive (or at least attempted to be) and pressing than normal. Like someone put it correctly during the match, this is why we can't play this way. Chelsea were nothing special, we had much more intent than them in the first half, and yet it was 2-0 Chelsea because they have a striker and we don't, and because we were caught trying to overload up front to compensate for not having a striker.

Guest firetotheworks

It's his Championship team. Classing that as his team, now that we're in the Premier League is daft.

I know but i knew that would get a reply from yourself  [emoji38]

Rafa has been let down so badly it's untrue, it's a miracle we're not bottom with this team and have a chance to stay up.

Cheeky fucker. [emoji38]

But yes, I agree.

Second half we were. We didn't do anything of note whatsoever. Looked like we stopped trying, which is incredibly rare to see under Rafa. Imagine the last 15 minutes of Everton (h), the second half today was at least 3 times as woeful and dejecting as that.

That is true in the league but in this game, Rafa setting up to try to win 0-0 is daft imo. Give it a go and let the players play with a bit of freedom, i mean we lost 3-0 playing defensive anyhoo. In the league more often than not he's getting right, we'd be bottom if he hadn't.

I dont understand that comment. We played a completely different way compared to the Man City games for example. We pressed them high first half and didnt sit deep.

The thing is that we do a shit job taking care of the ball and lose it constantly in dangerous areas. And our defense is horrible when it gets even a little bit caught out on the break. Keep it compact and we can somewhat hide the fact our individuals are crap at their job. Put our defense running towards their own net with Chelsea or Man City forwards and we're fucked every time.

I thought today was Rafa trying something different because it wasn't a league game. It went pretty much as feared.

I dont understand that comment. We played a completely different way compared to the Man City games for example. We pressed them high first half and didnt sit deep.

The thing is that we do a shit job taking care of the ball and lose it constantly in dangerous areas. And our defense is horrible when it gets even a little bit caught out on the break. Keep it compact and we can somewhat hide the fact our individuals are crap at their job. Put our defense running towards their own net with Chelsea or Man City forwards and we're fucked every time.

I thought today was Rafa trying something different because it wasn't a league game. It went pretty much as feared.

I know we played differently to Man City but it was still a safety first approach imo first half, i sort of get that but this game was a free hit so to speak. The second half was embarrassing, we should have changed system and had a go, the subs were too late, we didn't raise our game at all. It's like, OK 2-0 down at h-t were out. Sorry but that is unacceptable from the lot of them.

Granted im sure we can accurately blame the regime but I thought Caballero wasn't interested in coming here and prefered the potential chelsea bench?

He was lined up to come, the club told Benitez they were on with it but did fuck all because we already had four goalkeepers on the books at that time. Caballero got fed up of waiting and signed for Chelsea instead. Benitez pulled the plug on the Darlow to Boro deal as a result.

Same story for Abraham pretty much, wasn't it (re Caballero)? I bet there are others, too.

That Gabriel Peres guy seemed like he was definitely gonna sign for a couple of weeks, then the link just disappeared. Then you've got Lejeune too; alright, he signed, but it took fucking ages. Way longer than Rafa had planned.

On top of that, he clearly never knew what his budget was and altogether was shackled in terms of his ability to plan. The communication wasn't there and not everyone was on the same page. Just like last January and just like, you'd think, this January.

At this point I'm pretty much convinced we're signing no one, we're getting relegated and Rafa's off in the summer. On the 13th December, I was pretty much convinced we had new owners and we could welcome in a new era.

giphy.gif

The video been posted of the bloke sliding down the bannister in the Newcastle end?

That's all I have to say about the match btw [emoji38]

[emoji38] Can't see owt else, but here it is in reverse with a sound effect.

EDIT:

[emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]

[emoji38] Cheers