Martin Dúbravka

Figures 1-0 Football

7 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

Wot.

I think he could have reduced the prob of the first-time shot going in by a similar % if his position wasn't so shit. Others were very involved in creating the opportunity for them though.

Edited by Jagten

58 minutes ago, christ said:

A great shot stopper but his style of goalkeeping is the worst possible fit for the way we want to play. 

Insane we haven't made adjustments to the change of keeper style.

1 hour ago, christ said:

A great shot stopper but his style of goalkeeping is the worst possible fit for the way we want to play. 

He’s clearly not a great shot shopper, mind. He’s ok in that area.

There was a massive disconnect between the defence and him tonight. Perhaps due to us seemingly pushing a bit higher, getting caught in transitions a lot and the slight tweak to the formation in our build up. 

Whatever it was. It needs sorting. Didn’t come 2-3 times when I made him favourite to get there. Then comes flying out into no man’s land for their first. 

Not all on him, mind. As some of the defending to let the ball get there in the first place was shocking. 

8 minutes ago, Aiston said:

Insane we haven't made adjustments to the change of keeper style.

We have. We have been noticeably deeper.

Tonight felt like the first time since ironically, Forest. Where it was glaringly obvious time and again that the defence was pushing high/getting caught high and there was 40 yards of space in behind with Dubs nowhere to be seen. 

On 10/02/2024 at 18:43, Checko said:

He conceded a clean through one-on-one (and saved one earlier), and a massive deflection. I don't really see he's done much wrong today tbh (as of half time).

Pope gets to the ball before Elanga 95 time out of 100.

It's not as bad or obvious as letting a shot go through your hands but it is poor goalkeeping at this level.

What's different between now, and the second half of the 21/22 season for instance? Other than against the elite sides, he didn't concede more than 1 per game for almost half a season. The back four for the bulk of that was Targett, Burn, Schar and Krafth. We looked solid, we didn't play a particular high line, Dubravka wasn't a sweeper keeper...

He’s proactive coming for crosses from set pieces if they’re not too far from him. His handling is actually really good. It’s when the ball is on the deck he seems hesitant to come out and slow to make a decision. Even if it is in the box when it’s a bit of a scramble, for example. 

I wonder if the bollocking he got off Schar had some kind of bearing on his decision to come out for their first. Seemed so out of character for him, was obviously not comfortable doing so and made Elanga’s job really simple. 

I don’t even think Elanga is a particularly good finisher. As be proved when one on one with Dubs earlier in the game. So if he had done his usual. Ironically, it would have given him a better chance of saving it. 

Plenty of blame for the first. Starts with sloppy play up their end. Botman and Burn are miles apart and capped off with Dubravka’s brain dead decision. 

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

What's different between now, and the second half of the 21/22 season for instance? Other than against the elite sides, he didn't concede more than 1 per game for almost half a season. The back four for the bulk of that was Targett, Burn, Schar and Krafth. We looked solid, we didn't play a particular high line, Dubravka wasn't a sweeper keeper...

We are a side that has been playing a high line and really changed to a high pressing, aggressive side last season. Who have now had to revert back to dropping deeper, creating loads of room between the defence and mid, especially in transitions.

Then when we do push high again like in the two games against Forest most noticeably. There is shit loads of space in behind. 

Feels like we’re often caught between whether to stick or twist. 

Throw in the most immobile midfield in the league that currently offers zero protection. With a young lad who isn’t physically there yet. Longstaff who suddenly seems scared to tackle and then Bruno who doesn’t dare make one for fear of a yellow. It’s not ideal

Teams now have loads of tape on how we play, as well. They’re well aware of our weaknesses and how to exploit our press, I think. 

Injuries, unavailable players and lack of rotation has all contributed to a lot of this defensive mess. 

Either that or we really miss Targett and Krafth :lol: 

12 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

We are a side that has been playing a high line and really changed to a high pressing, aggressive side last season. Who have now had to revert back to dropping deeper, creating loads of room between the defence and mid, especially in transitions.

Then when we do push high again like in the two games against Forest most noticeably. There is shit loads of space in behind. 

Feels like we’re often caught between whether to stick or twist. 

Throw in the most immobile midfield in the league that currently offers zero protection. With a young lad who isn’t physically there yet. Longstaff who suddenly seems scared to tackle and then Bruno who doesn’t dare make one for fear of a yellow. It’s not ideal

Teams now have loads of tape on how we play, as well. They’re well aware of our weaknesses and how to exploit our press, I think. 

Injuries, unavailable players and lack of rotation has all contributed to a lot of this defensive mess. 

Either that or we really miss Targett and Krafth :lol: 

I just think it's a bit lazy blaming the change of keeper. Surely we can adapt to how we've played previously and not see 2+ goals past us every week.

18 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I just think it's a bit lazy blaming the change of keeper. Surely we can adapt to how we've played previously and not see 2+ goals past us every week.

I'm not purely blaming it on the change of keeper, am I?  I've just mentioned loads of reasons.   

Who's to say we would have had much better results if Pope was playing.  Considering the midfield, all of the injuries and lack of rotation.  

I personally think we would have picked up a few more points along the way.  As IMO, Pope is clearly the superior goalkeeper and integral to how we now want to play.  But there is no way of telling for sure.  It's not really quantifiable.