Martin Dúbravka

Figures 1-0 Football

7 hours ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Don’t think Dubravka was the/a problem tonight. 

No, he was a problem, not the problem.  He was shaky and could have done much better on at least two of the goals.

It hasn’t changed my opinion - he’s an ok PL keeper - a bottom six keeper. Which isn’t bad at all for your reserve keeper - but that’s on the basis of him coming in for a few games.  The rest of the season may be too much to risk on him - and I don’t get the impression that Howe fancies him, either.  I can easily see another keeper coming in shortly. 

Not going to get into hypotheticals but goalkeeping comparison isn’t just about would this GK have saved this shot. It’s about what a different GK would do to close down space, make themselves bigger. I think Dubs is a perfectly good shot stopper but he’s not remotely close to Pope in terms of reducing the quality of shots and time people have to take shots.

Personally think, Pope saves the third goal for sure by coming out and putting pressure on the attacker. Goal one he doesn’t stand a chance and goal two is probably similar 

The first goal was not really such a well placed shot, Dubravka was on his heels and doesnt even leap. A world class keeper with extreme reactions could have taken it.

Second goal he throws himself before the shot is taken, ofcourse Pope could have taken it. The shot hits the middle of the goal.

3rd goal i dont see Pope letting in often, not from that angle.

Not one of them was a bad mistake, but what we can expect from an average GK.

4 minutes ago, Ronson333 said:

He was ok yesterday, but if Trippier doesn’t make that first mistake it’s highly likely he keeps a clean sheet.

Dubrakva was rusty but he’ll get better with game time. He's never going to be as commanding as Pope on crosses and commanding the box but he’s a solid enough keeper. I guess if he really struggles through December we might look at options.

1 minute ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Dubrakva was rusty but he’ll get better with game time. He's never going to be as commanding as Pope on crosses and commanding the box but he’s a solid enough keeper. I guess if he really struggles through December we might look at options.

Cant be easy to get a top class GK in the january window tbh. Also really need the funds to bulk up other positions. 90% sure we will stick we what we got.

9 minutes ago, Displayname said:

Cant be easy to get a top class GK in the january window tbh. Also really need the funds to bulk up other positions. 90% sure we will stick we what we got.

Exactly. Unless we get the guy who will be Pope's replacement eventually, we are not signing a GK. Need a forward and a CB.

8 minutes ago, Displayname said:

Aye I was wondering after the game. We'll likely de-register Tonali and Pope in February (unless we think he'll be back for the run-in), do we go for two outfield players to spread the load, or just one and get someone like De Gea?

Third option could be drop Gillespie from the 25 as well so we could get De Gea plus 2 others but can't see it..

1 hour ago, Displayname said:

The first goal was not really such a well placed shot, Dubravka was on his heels and doesnt even leap. A world class keeper with extreme reactions could have taken it.

Second goal he throws himself before the shot is taken, ofcourse Pope could have taken it. The shot hits the middle of the goal.

3rd goal i dont see Pope letting in often, not from that angle.

Not one of them was a bad mistake, but what we can expect from an average GK.

Indeed.

He's hardly played so you'd expect him to be rusty but he doesn't exude the same confidence that Pope does. Flapped about at crosses and he could have done better, certainly with one, and possibly two of the goals. He's a decent mid/lower table keeper but we aren't a mid/lower table team anymore. I wouldn't be against going in for De Gea next month but I think his wages would be a problem.

I do sometimes wonder when football fans question whether or not the goalkeeper position is less important to strengthen than other positions.  Other than your centre forward, there is no other position that needs quality to be successful more than GK.  

I wouldn’t be signing a defensive midfielder or a winger ahead of a goalkeeper if we’re not good enough in that position.  

I file the first goal under savable but no great shame in not. That said I didn't like the way his dive for it seemingly made him smaller than if he'd have just stood there. 

Second goal whatever. Their player was basically in the position of taking a penalty. He could have waited but then probably can't get down in time. 

Third goal should be doing better. 

Worst thing he did in the game was that corner where he just fell over and left an open goal. 

Thought his distribution was an obvious step up over Pope but doesn't make up for the other defects. 

I worry if De Gea is a bit demoralising to Dubs and our other reserves but if they're not up to standard they shouldn't be getting game time anyway and I think it's time for Eddie to start getting ruthless. 

16 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Think people are being incredibly harsh for the first goal like. It was absolutely leathered from 10 yards. 

He did twat it and it may have even taken a slight nick off Schar? As he seemed to dive under the ball. Proper collapsed under it, so it seems strange to be that far off. But it is still up the middle of the goal. 

Pretty poor for the third, I thought. But then so was the fact he was played onside. 

27 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

De Gea is similarly rooted to his line. He isn't great with his feet.

Is his shot stopping so good that it mitigates the above?

I'm still willing to give Dubs December and go from there.

He wasn't as good as Pope... but he's not as good as Pope. I don't think we'll sign anyone as good as Pope.

I think this, give our keepers December and if it's clear they're going to cost us make a move for someone else. No room for sentiment, can't cost ourselves points or a possible trophy etc if a better alternative was available.

1 hour ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Think people are being incredibly harsh for the first goal like. It was absolutely leathered from 10 yards. 

Think it was a bit further out than that. Was just inside the box, probably 17 yards. Agree it's a bit harsh to blame him for it though.

3 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I do sometimes wonder when football fans question whether or not the goalkeeper position is less important to strengthen than other positions.  Other than your centre forward, there is no other position that needs quality to be successful more than GK.  

I wouldn’t be signing a defensive midfielder or a winger ahead of a goalkeeper if we’re not good enough in that position.  

Exactly this the 2 most important people in a football team is the bloke who puts the ball in the net and the bloke who keeps iit out of the net. Look at all the hugely successful teams they always have top drawer of both. Think back to 96 and all of them occasions of 1-0 Cantona and Schmeichel that was the reason we didnt win the league that year. Until we can get similar like LIverpool and City and Chelsea when they had Cech then we wont be able to compete with them on that level

Dubravka is a shit keeper for me and we seen that all the time until we signed Pope. He regularly flaps at crosses, is constantly stuck to his line and he regularly makes huge errors for club and country. As much as De Gea made a few errors for Man United hes head and shoulders above Dubravka as a goalkeeper and bringing him in is a no brainer

Yesterday is only the 2nd time weve let in 3 goals in 18 months and for me its no co incidence that it was Dubravka in goal i can see us conceding a lot of goals with him between the sticks

Edited by BullyDogs

2 hours ago, SteV said:

Do we think De Gea is going to accept a ~70% wage drop from what he’s used to or do we think we’re going to make a six month emergency loan signing the highest paid player at the club?

Hes earning 0 at the moment 75k a week is better than 0