Newcastle United v Southampton - 10/03/18 - 3pm

HaydnNUFC

Yep, we have to win it. Hate all this happy enough for a draw malarky against the s*** teams. We need to be beating rubbish like this at home. Not accepting all the "well it's a championship team/squad s****" either. We are better than these and if we go about it in the right way, we will get the deserved win. A draw is a s**** result for me. Too many of those against the crap recently. We need to sort out this home form against the mediocre teams. All well and good pulling it out the bag against Man Utd, we need to be doing it in these games.

How are we better than these? Looking at the two teams which are going to line up, I'd be struggling to see where we are significantly better in any area.

Guest reefatoon

Happy is probably not the right word, but the defeatist mentality running through us as a club now, are trying to paint a draw as a result that is not bad.  These are fucking rubbish and a draw at home to them is crap. It needs to be a win.

Guest reefatoon

Yep, we have to win it. Hate all this happy enough for a draw malarky against the s*** teams. We need to be beating rubbish like this at home. Not accepting all the "well it's a championship team/squad s****" either. We are better than these and if we go about it in the right way, we will get the deserved win. A draw is a s**** result for me. Too many of those against the crap recently. We need to sort out this home form against the mediocre teams. All well and good pulling it out the bag against Man Utd, we need to be doing it in these games.

How are we better than these? Looking at the two teams which are going to line up, I'd be struggling to see where we are significantly better in any area.

Complete point in case here. Defeatist attitude from top to bottom.  We are at home. We should be beating teams around us at home. It's not a hard concept. These are on an awful run and we should be getting three points at home against crap like this

Guest Howaythetoon

I’m not sure anyone has said that they’re happy for a draw. I think people are just correctly pointing out that a draw wouldn’t leave us in the worst circumstances ever, meaning it’s not a ‘must win’ game.

It’s a must win game in the context that it’s a home game, a game against a fellow relegation candidate, a team below us, and that we are rapidly running out of games. It’s even more of a must win game given we’ve only won 2 games this year. Draw this or lose this and I’d find it like a nail in the coffin with many more nails waiting to be hammered home...

Guest covmag

This is the first actual, "must win" like.

I'd say all the home games against our relegation rivals have been must win, but yeah this one is even more important.

Our last 3 home 'must wins' against relegation rivals have all been draws though :/ Palace in October is the last one we have won really.

Hang on.  All of our home games against relegation rivals were must-win.  But we didn't win. 

What happened then?  Did we go down?  Why are people calling games must-win when there are not really any consequences for not winning?  Does must-win game not mean that we MUST WIN the GAME, or presumably the consequences are pretty dire?

f*** the term "must-win" man, it's doing my head in :lol:

i'm with you  O0  doing my fooking head in these must win merchants , boring man

Complete point in case here. Defeatist attitude from top to bottom.  We are at home. We should be beating teams around us at home. It's not a hard concept. These are on an awful run and we should be getting three points at home against crap like this

It's not defeatist saying they're better man for man, like. Bertrand, Cedric, whichever forward they play, Romeu, Redmond even on this season's showing, Lemina, Tadic...they'd all improve us so what you're saying is bollocks.

Guest firetotheworks

I don't think the football section has ever been this bad. The entire thing has turned into one big strawman.

Feel much more optimistic about us winning this one. If we didn't fuck the last ten minutes against Bournemouth we'd be way more comfortable going in to it. The thought of dropping points against this lot where we are now is scary. Need to batter them and not hold on solid.

Guest reefatoon

It's not defeatist saying they're better man for man, like. Bertrand, Cedric, whichever forward they play, Romeu, Redmond even on this season's showing, Lemina, Tadic...they'd all improve us so what you're saying is bollocks.

It’s the making excuses already before the game has even been played, to ease all our pain if we don’t win. We used to hammer former managers for that kind of talk. When in reality we have to be beating teams like this at home who are on a shit run. They might have better players than us in certain positions, but as a team they are wank. Didn’t really think it was bollocks personally, but each to their own.

I don't think the football section has ever been this bad. The entire thing has turned into one big strawman.

Seriously. It's not only the rampant overreacting. It's the needless level of misery. Cynical just for the sake of being cynical...and we still have 9 fixtures left.

Guest Howaythetoon

Seriously. It's not only the rampant overreacting. It's the needless level of misery. Cynical just for the sake of being cynical...and we still have 9 fixtures left.

We’ve been here before though and for all Rafa’s qualities, it’s not cut and dried. There is a very very serious danger that we will go down and people rightly look at our fixture with Southampton as not only winnable, but a must win. There are far too many excuses peddled on here from the manager to the players to the opposition, pre match, during the match and post match to even Ashley. Thankfully since the creation of AO.com that seems to have disappeared.

If people don’t regard the Southampton game as a must win, they are crazy. They are below us, they are a fellow relegation candidate, their form is worse than ours. We are at home. There is 3 points at stake, we are running out of winnable games. People say as long as we don’t lose. Fuck that. We have won 2 games all year in the league. We need to start winning, draws are not good enough. Beating Outhampton will also push them further behind.

The simple acceptance of our fate in here is unreal and as equally as tiresome as the things yous claim is making this place worse.

I just hope Rafa doesn’t think like some on here. That a draw wouldn’t be the end of the world. It wouldn’t, but it would push us further in the shit and when you’ve only won 2 games all year and have a poor home record while others around you are showing signs of being able to beat teams and win games, it’s a fucking huge concern, a massive one.

3 points would be a massive massive boon in our fight to stay up, a draw would be no use. A defeat, devastating.

If we can’t beat Southampton at home what makes people think we will beat the others at home? I mean fucking hell people are saying Arsenal and Chelsea at home are winnable games. Madness. Some need a reality check, maybe relegation will wake people up. Doubt it though.

Anyway here’s hoping we win because we fucking need it!

Guest Howaythetoon

It’s alreet lads if we don’t beat Southampton. Well have another 8 or so games. Don’t worry, we’ve got this. I for one do not have such faith. I have faith in Rafa, but I’m accustomed to NUFC fucking things up even when we are on a hiding to nothing or on a good thing. This is a club that loses to non league teams in cup games. Beats Man Utd at home, but loses to... hopefully not Southampton. A club that was top of the league coasting, but didn’t win it. A club that is almost cursed. Defeatism or cynism no, just reality. Oh and it’s not like there are lots of cynics on here, more happy clappy posters than cynics.

Me I’m worried, I expect us to draw this game and feel this won’t be enough where as a win could be. Not in one match, but in relation to our standing in the table and the following fixtures.

Have you seen the fixtures left? If some don’t like ‘must win,’ how about ‘six pointer’? Because that is what this is (as is Huddersfield). If we don’t win both games then this is going to the wire, and we are likely to be one of the three. Six points and I am certain we will stay up (will only need one win or a couple of draws from elsewhere).

We’ve been here before though and for all Rafa’s qualities, it’s not cut and dried. There is a very very serious danger that we will go down and people rightly look at our fixture with Southampton as not only winnable, but a must win. There are far too many excuses peddled on here from the manager to the players to the opposition, pre match, during the match and post match to even Ashley. Thankfully since the creation of AO.com that seems to have disappeared.

If people don’t regard the Southampton game as a must win, they are crazy. They are below us, they are a fellow relegation candidate, their form is worse than ours. We are at home. There is 3 points at stake, we are running out of winnable games. People say as long as we don’t lose. f*** that. We have won 2 games all year in the league. We need to start winning, draws are not good enough. Beating Outhampton will also push them further behind.

The simple acceptance of our fate in here is unreal and as equally as tiresome as the things yous claim is making this place worse.

I just hope Rafa doesn’t think like some on here. That a draw wouldn’t be the end of the world. It wouldn’t, but it would push us further in the s*** and when you’ve only won 2 games all year and have a poor home record while others around you are showing signs of being able to beat teams and win games, it’s a f***ing huge concern, a massive one.

3 points would be a massive massive boon in our fight to stay up, a draw would be no use. A defeat, devastating.

If we can’t beat Southampton at home what makes people think we will beat the others at home? I mean f***ing hell people are saying Arsenal and Chelsea at home are winnable games. Madness. Some need a reality check, maybe relegation will wake people up. Doubt it though.

Anyway here’s hoping we win because we f***ing need it!

Oh Jesus. Totally misrepresenting the views of many of us on here. You.come in with "it's Newcastle so everything will go wrong." For about everything lately. It's gotten rather hackneyed.

There are 9 fixtures left. We are in a fight, which is cause for concern. But some of these wild overreactions are just plain ridiculous. Even worse, some of you act like you are being brave for them. You're not. It's a bit similar, although admittedly on a lesser scale, to some of the reasoning I saw with the Infowars crowd.

Guest Howaythetoon

If people don’t regard the Southampton game as a must win, they are crazy. They are below us, they are a fellow relegation candidate, their form is worse than ours. We are at home. There is 3 points at stake, we are running out of winnable games. People say as long as we don’t lose. f*** that. We have won 2 games all year in the league. We need to start winning, draws are not good enough. Beating Outhampton will also push them further behind.

I just hope Rafa doesn’t think like some on here. That a draw wouldn’t be the end of the world. It wouldn’t, but it would push us further in the s*** and when you’ve only won 2 games all year and have a poor home record while others around you are showing signs of being able to beat teams and win games, it’s a f***ing huge concern, a massive one.

If we can’t beat Southampton at home what makes people think we will beat the others at home? I mean f***ing hell people are saying Arsenal and Chelsea at home are winnable games. Madness. Some need a reality check, maybe relegation will wake people up. Doubt it though.

Anyway here’s hoping we win because we f***ing need it!

Oh Jesus. Totally misrepresenting the views of many of us on here. You.come in with "it's Newcastle so everything will go wrong." For about everything lately. It's gotten rather hackneyed.

There are 9 fixtures left. We are in a fight, which is cause for concern. But some of these wild overreactions are just plain ridiculous. Even worse, some of you act like you are being brave for them. You're not. It's a bit similar, although admittedly on a lesser scale, to some of the reasoning I saw with the Infowars crowd.

Wild overreactions to look at this fixture and think, must win? Seriously? If we fail to win this I think we are halfway there in terms of relegation. Win and we are halfway there in terms of staying up, that’s how vital this game is or could be. As for your last comments, I haven’t a clue what you’re talking about. Brave for what? Speaking your mind? To say this fixture is a must win isn’t overreacting and as for the everything will go wrong angle, that’s because it usually does, so many are rightfully fucking worried. But hey, it’s OK man, we have other games... again if you can’t beat Southampton, THIS Southampton at home, who the fuck are you gonna beat? Arsenal at home? Chelsea at home? Lose this and I’d back a Pardew WBA to beat us which would be fucking typical because this is NUFC after all.

Guest Howaythetoon

Just fucking win Newcastle, be it 1-0 in the last minute playing utterly crap, just win.

Guest Howaythetoon

Case in point on the wild overreactions thing. Difference between concern and wildly waving your arms in the air, which you have been doing for a few months. The brave comment is aimed at people who think they are being censored.

How do you want me to react? Sit there arms folded? I’m a passionate man, love (and fucking hate) my club so I’m going to look at a fixture like this in our and their situation and, with good reason which I’ve highlighted I might add, view it as a must win game. No one is thinking they are being censored, that’s you overreacting, but when some go against the grain, they get jumped on from all angles and told nah they are wrong, overreacting or a WUM. It’s happened to me, not that I care as I can give as good as I get and stick to my guns and try to at least reason why I think this or say that or post this. Anyway it’s all shite. Again. Let’s just win this game so we can all look up rather than down or nervously sideways.

Guest Howaythetoon

And c'mon with the typical NUFC thing, man. That s*** is seriously old.

Old as our club, but true, sadly. I’m not a defeatist, I am a cynic, positively cynical which is grounded in some reality. This club will beat Man Utd and then lose to Southampton or go 2-0 up away and miss out due to a former player scoring against us. That’s just the way things are here. As nufc.com recently wrote, you couldn’t make it up or script it.

Love that Soton forum :lol:

Opening few posts -

"Sold 1600 for this which is decent. Should be a good weekend, ruined by the result obviously."

"They have a far, far, far better manager then us. If roles were reversed, we'd be 10th and they'd be 20 point adrift."

"Another 6-pointer that we will set up to get a point from."

"I'm predicting another fantastic winning draw against an in form top team!"

"He will (amazingly) start with exactly the same cautious set up he has for his last 29 PL games, and the result will be the same. 1-1."

They fucking love Pellegrino :lol: