Newcastle United v Southampton - 10/03/18 - 3pm

HaydnNUFC

Other than Spurs, I don't think we have a really, really bad fixture left. Arsenal and Chelsea games obviously tough but neither of them are infallible, and the home crowd is good for the tough teams.

Of course it's must win. We don't play for three weeks after this. We haven't got many chances left to hoy away and this is one of the most winnable games left.

Not an easy game by any means because of the pressure involved (not to mention the two teams are probably a similar level). They need it just as much as we do.

Other than Spurs, I don't think we have a really, really bad fixture left. Arsenal and Chelsea games obviously tough but neither of them are infallible, and the home crowd is good for the tough teams.

Aye. If Chelsea keep stuttering, they'll go into that final game stuck in 5th, with Conte leaving and everyone trying to avoid World Cup injuries. For us, it's an extremely winnable game. Arsenal too, for obvious reasons.

This is the first actual, "must win" like.

I'd say all the home games against our relegation rivals have been must win, but yeah this one is even more important.

Our last 3 home 'must wins' against relegation rivals have all been draws though :/ Palace in October is the last one we have won really.

Hang on.  All of our home games against relegation rivals were must-win.  But we didn't win. 

What happened then?  Did we go down?  Why are people calling games must-win when there are not really any consequences for not winning?  Does must-win game not mean that we MUST WIN the GAME, or presumably the consequences are pretty dire?

Fuck the term "must-win" man, it's doing my head in :lol:

Ironically I could see the wisdom for calling this game must-win as it's against a relegation rival in the last quarter of the season, but you get people calling games must-win in December or whatever and I can only assume they don't understand what it means.

These 2 games define the season. Win them both and that's almost job done, lose them both and I can't see any way back. I think the players heads would be gone. 4 points is an absolute minimum as we can't be gifting either these or Hudds 3 points at this stage of the season. Win this one and the next one becomes easier. Lose it and the pressure on the Huddersfield match will be immense.

Guest firetotheworks

I'd say all the home games against our relegation rivals have been must win, but yeah this one is even more important.

Our last 3 home 'must wins' against relegation rivals have all been draws though :/ Palace in October is the last one we have won really.

Hang on.  All of our home games against relegation rivals were must-win.  But we didn't win. 

What happened then?  Did we go down?  Why are people calling games must-win when there are not really any consequences for not winning?  Does must-win game not mean that we MUST WIN the GAME, or presumably the consequences are pretty dire?

We won them all, we're now 6th in the league or something. I've got us down as an 8 on the Relegationmeter. 

:thup: Exactly this.

Aye some people don't get the definition. :lol:

Saturday is, though. I don't think we'll stay up if we don't.

Well I'd be worried then. The side that wins is going to have to score at least one. Who are our potential goal scorers compared to them? I'm guessing Gayle would be our best bet.

Strangely I was more confident of getting something against Manure, than I am in us winning this one. Think it will be a draw which will hurt us, we need to be winning of course.

Well I'd be worried then. The side that wins is going to have to score at least one. Who are our potential goal scorers compared to them? I'm guessing Gayle would be our best bet.

They’ve scored an extraordinary 2 goals more than us all season, I’d hardly be worried - we’re both where we are because we cant score goals.

Not going to lie I'm already pretty nervous for this one - I'm not going this weekend and I don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. Either experience that fear and adrenaline as the game is about to kick off or that slow death checking the score on twitter updates.

Southampton never actually look like a bad side whenever I've seen them play. They always look capable but then find a way to lose the game - I guess that's a sign of a bad side then. My gut feeling is we're more organised than them and work harder as a team and if we can translate that into an early goal I think we'll see out the win. It would seem like a very painful Newcastle type thing to do in messing this game up though, we don't seem to get many morale boosts without being put through it.

I expect Ritchie and Perez to be back into the side because we really didn't offer anything going forward v Liverpool, even on the counter with the pace in the team nothing really looked like it was getting started. I also hope he keeps faith with Merino because Hayden and Diame in the middle doesn't exactly seem terrifying.

2-0

They’ve scored an extraordinary 2 goals more than us all season, I’d hardly be worried - we’re both where we are because we cant score goals.

So it could easily end up a draw, which is a worry. We need to win three more games so you would think this would be one of them, so a lot of pressure on us to get a result.

If we don't win this, we have to win one of the other games where we're not favourites for. Southampton, Huddersfield, WBA...that's the easiest route to survival. Fail to win one of those and we're needing a win at Watford, Everton or Leicester (possible but very tricky), or a win against a top 6 side which we've managed once all season.

Not going to lie I'm already pretty nervous for this one - I'm not going this weekend and I don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. Either experience that fear and adrenaline as the game is about to kick off or that slow death checking the score on twitter updates.

Southampton never actually look like a bad side whenever I've seen them play. They always look capable but then find a way to lose the game - I guess that's a sign of a bad side then. My gut feeling is we're more organised than them and work harder as a team and if we can translate that into an early goal I think we'll see out the win. It would seem like a very painful Newcastle type thing to do in messing this game up though, we don't seem to get many morale boosts without being put through it.

I expect Ritchie and Perez to be back into the side because we really didn't offer anything going forward v Liverpool, even on the counter with the pace in the team nothing really looked like it was getting started. I also hope he keeps faith with Merino because Hayden and Diame in the middle doesn't exactly seem terrifying.

2-0

I'm more paranoid than you then. We seem to have taken the lead in a lot of games this season, but we always manage to concede a crap goal to let them back in. I'm fucking shitting it, not going to lie.

Guest Howaythetoon

Of course this is a must win, make no mistake about that. We are running out of fixtures and need to be winning these kind of games at home.

Guest reefatoon

Yep, we have to win it. Hate all this happy enough for a draw malarky against the s*** teams. We need to be beating rubbish like this at home. Not accepting all the "well it's a championship team/squad s****" either. We are better than these and if we go about it in the right way, we will get the deserved win. A draw is a s**** result for me. Too many of those against the crap recently. We need to sort out this home form against the mediocre teams. All well and good pulling it out the bag against Man Utd, we need to be doing it in these games.

Guest Howaythetoon

I don’t understand it at all, the reason we are down there really is because we have failed to beat certain teams at home or lost to them. As each game has passed our situation hasn’t gotten worse, but it hasn’t exactly gotten better. A draw isn’t good enough, sorry. This is a must win game and a dare not lose.

Guest reefatoon

It's defeatist from top to bottom. It's ingrained in us now after 10 years of Ashley's shite rule. We try to paint a positive after shite results. We have to and should be beating crap like this at home. These are not better than us, but we seem to accept any old result as the norm, just brush it aside as the team isn't good enough and they did what they can.  Fuck it, lets tear them a new one.