Group D - Argentina, Iceland, Croatia, Nigeria - CRO & ARG advance

Wullie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I still can't get how bad that starting line-up was and the tactics to go with it. 

I was surprised that Lamela didn’t get the call-up, but figured they had a plan that he just didn’t fit into. Turns out they didn’t. Not that he’s great, but he puts himself about, takes people on, and gives a shit. They could have done worse, and did.

Good shout re Lamela - him and Lanzini in that XI could have made a difference

Guest neesy111

I still can't get how bad that starting line-up was and the tactics to go with it. 

I was surprised that Lamela didn’t get the call-up, but figured they had a plan that he just didn’t fit into. Turns out they didn’t. Not that he’s great, but he puts himself about, takes people on, and gives a shit. They could have done worse, and did.

Good shout re Lamela - him and Lanzini in that XI could have made a difference

Would had made a difference, but they were absolutely desperate for a CM.  Still can't believe Banega didn't play yesterday.

I thought it was a mistake to drop Di Maria. He was poor against Iceland but bar Messi he's been their best attacking player over the last 5 years. He also gives an outlet for Messi on the wing all the time and works hard. In the last qualifier where Messi scored a hat trick Di Maria was the one supporting Messi and set up his first goal

There is still hope for Argentina tbh mostly because of the quality of Croatia (even with a second team) and the fact that Iceland and Nigeria could now go in all sorts of directions. In a way it isn’t fair that group games are on different days as it allows teams to adjust their mindsets accordingly.

They need to find a new role for Messi though as it isn’t working.

Oh my goodness ... I can't wait for the match to just come and go.

Well, I guess if we are persisting with those two clowns, at least it will be while playing a different shape. Maybe that will somehow work, though I won't be holding my breath.

I am so desperate for some unpredictability and pace though. Just play Musa and Kelechi for goodness sake.

It's right there for the taking.

:lol: So now the gist is that Rohr (our manager) was upset with previous lineups leaking out and and is having the ITK media put out fake news. Apparently, Musa and Iheanacho start now and Moses is at wingback, unless this is even later fake news. I am happy with that, if true. SE will have to take the chances they create today and avoid giving away silly set pieces at all costs.

I don't think this is particularly important unless Iceland and Nigeria draw. Sure they will rest players that need it, but they are highly incentivised to win the group. Would you rather face France or Denmark/Australia?

I'm not happy about all of this Argentina news of mutiny and chaos in the camp. I would much rather play them while they were internally imploding rather then play a team of angry world-class players after the implosion has already happened. They will be very dangerous, still.

In the first round of games Messi was the the player who ran the shortest distance of all players in the tournament. Neesy you twist words and think that some on here think that he should run around like a headless chicken and win the ball back and all that, but thats not what i think he should do. He plays with lesser players and he doesnt get the ball all the time and the tactics are less than good. However, if he took more responsibility and had better movement and showed himself for the ball more often then he would at least see more of the ball, and even if he doesnt get it as often as he should he would definitely see more of the ball, and even if things dont come off he would drag players attention and give his team mates more space. You mentioned something like "you expect him to magically get the ball to his feet" and that is absolute horse shit from you. I 100% agree that Argentina aren't the same as Barcelona, but nothing can convince me that Messi cant take more responsibility and do a little bit more in the national team, even if it might not always work out. He is so talented that he easily could pop up with more in the last third, but he doesnt have the same players around him so he needs to be more on his toes, because the ball wont "suddenly teleport" to him. Personally i think Messi is the best in the world, but to some he just cant do any more than he does. The pressure is crazy massive on him in a WC, but he can do more.

In the first round of games Messi was the the player who ran the shortest distance of all players in the tournament. Neesy you twist words and think that some on here think that he should run around like a headless chicken and win the ball back and all that, but thats not what i think he should do. He plays with lesser players and he doesnt get the ball all the time and the tactics are less than good. However, if he took more responsibility and had better movement and showed himself for the ball more often then he would at least see more of the ball, and even if he doesnt get it as often as he should he would definitely see more of the ball, and even if things dont come off he would drag players attention and give his team mates more space. You mentioned something like "you expect him to magically get the ball to his feet" and that is absolute horse shit from you. I 100% agree that Argentina aren't the same as Barcelona, but nothing can convince me that Messi cant take more responsibility and do a little bit more in the national team, even if it might not always work out. He is so talented that he easily could pop up with more in the last third, but he doesnt have the same players around him so he needs to be more on his toes, because the ball wont "suddenly teleport" to him. Personally i think Messi is the best in the world, but to some he just cant do any more than he does. The pressure is crazy massive on him in a WC, but he can do more.

Absolutely. Messi is the best player in history but he did very, very little in terms of running into space, closing down, making himself available and stretching Croatia's defence. And the stats back that up.

Guest firetotheworks

He hasn't done that for absolutely ages. He conserves his energy until he gets on the ball, that's just how he plays.

:thup: All I saw in those posts was 'I don't watch Messi' really.

When nothings on - conserve energy. When something's on - nigh on always go for the killer run into space/pass/dribble/shot. He been like that for years now and it's always reaped the benefits.

Messi dragged them here in the first place. It seems unbelievably unfair to single out the player that got them here for not magically continuing to save them. He dragged them through the group stage of WC'14 as well, but this lot are irredeemable.