The World Cup Final: France 4-2 Croatia

Greg

[emoji38] So how does VAR even fucking work, btw. Like, did baldy give than pen or did one of the FKW's give it? If they gave it, why does he even go to the booth?

The agrophobic refs in the nerd booth told him to have a look I think implying he might have missed something.

[emoji38] You need five motherfuckers wearing cleats in an office to do that?

No but it's the safest place for them [emoji38]

[emoji38] Walking past the cubicles in a clean as fuck ref costume carrying one of those flags.

You know they all have a packed lunch from mum for half time too.

:lol: Balancing dry ass lunchables on their knees, trading raisin cookies and sipping juice boxes like they're not fucking twats.

Guest firetotheworks

Already seen loads of 'if it takes that long it's not clear and obvious' completely ignoring the point that any referee isn't going to make such an important decision in a World Cup Final by watching it once. [emoji38]

Obvious pen for me, no idea why there's any dispute, he clearly moves his hand towards the ball and handles it.

:lol: So how does VAR even fucking work, btw. Like, did baldy give than pen or did one of the FKW's give it? If they gave it, why does he even go to the booth?

I don't understand why there isn't another ref looking at the VAR why does he have to go look himself. It's like some old school British wrestling shenanigans building up the tension and working the crowd. It's needless theatrics. I thought there was supposed to be a fourth ref in charge to do that.

No way. All the big decisions that need any level of "judgement" (not things like offsides) need to be down to the main man who's running the show on the pitch.

The VAR decision took more than three minutes in its self

:thup:

Added time in football is a mess imo. They literally never add on enough, I'd be in favour of 3 minutes standard time at the end of each half and anything else added on top of that - as to me that seems at least how much stoppage there is, even in a well-flowing match. When you think of how much time the ball actually spends in play, it must be about half of the game time, sometimes less.

Already seen loads of 'if it takes that long it's not clear and obvious' completely ignoring the point that any referee isn't going to make such an important decision in a World Cup Final by watching it once. [emoji38]

Obvious pen for me, no idea why there's any dispute, he clearly moves his hand towards the ball and handles it.

Still feel like his hands were headed in that direction before the ball even changed direction.

His hand very easily could have been coming down to his side to avoid handball. No way you can get the mens rea from that footage.

that's what i thought actually, he didn't expect the france player to miss it and if it had flicked it would have been up in the air where his hands were

Yup.

The VAR decision took more than three minutes in its self

:thup:

Added time in football is a mess imo. They literally never add on enough, I'd be in favour of 3 minutes standard time at the end of each half and anything else added on top of that - as to me that seems at least how much stoppage there is, even in a well-flowing match. When you think of how much time the ball actually spends in play, it must be about half of the game time, sometimes less.

VAR really needs to be a stop the clock situation if it's to become commonplace.

e0ebf1fea1fc54c036d2fbfe5f8c202c.gif

Still feel like his hands were headed in that direction before the ball even changed direction.

Fuck, I just saw the 10th replay and I just realized the France player misses the ball immediately before it hits his arm. He didn’t expect it to come there, so his arm was naturally moving towards his side as he was landing. Hmmmm.

Fuck, I just saw the 10th replay and I just realized the France player misses the ball immediately before it hits his arm. He didn’t expect it to come there, so his arm was naturally moving towards his side as he was landing. Hmmmm.

what i just said :thup:

His hand very easily could have been coming down to his side to avoid handball. No way you can get the mens rea from that footage.

that's what i thought actually, he didn't expect the france player to miss it and if it had flicked it would have been up in the air where his hands were

Yup, trying to whip it back to his side if anything. Unless he missed his calling as a goalkeeper to save that with half a yard reflexes on a ball coming in at pace.

f***, I just saw the 10th replay and I just realized the France player misses the ball immediately before it hits his arm. He didn’t expect it to come there, so his arm was naturally moving towards his side as he was landing. Hmmmm.

what i just said :thup:

Yeah after watching that I’m no longer 100% that’s a penalty. Literally a few seconds before I was 100% sure :lol:

:lol: Feels like 12 Angry Men, this.

:lol: Feels like 12 Angry Men, this.

Shout :lol: