Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

The lad is completely out of form and due to the ongoing injury issues, Howe can’t drop him.  I feel sorry for him, tbh - but I also think he’s been utterly shite of late.

The crowd shouldn’t turn on him, though.  He doesn’t select himself, he works hard and tries.  I wouldn’t want to see him sold in the summer - I’d rather he was what I think Howe views him as, a back-up midfielder. 

6 minutes ago, TwoForJoy said:

Longstaff lacks one thing no manager will ever be able to coach into him. Aggression.

Same thing applies to Jacob Murphy.

I'd love to see both of their duelling stats.

he had plenty under Rafa.

10 hours ago, LFEE said:

Yep. Was after he didn’t get his head up and played a backwards pass instead of a forward one.

He didn’t have a great game but wasn’t awful. The level of abuse he (and Burn got) is very poor but indicative of large numbers of our thick entitled fanbase.

:thup:

He's a massive scapegoat right now and it clearly affects him. All the moaning and groaning no matter what he does will only further damage his shattered confidence. I don't think the crowd reacts at all if anyone else plays that backwards pass, wasn't even that bad decision. 

Edited by Pata

14 hours ago, jack j said:

Anyone else see him turn round and stare towards the gallowgate after about the 10th time of people moaning and groaning at him

He was raging.

Whether people rate him or not that shows that the shit he gets is getting to him

Not on really

Burn got the same a few games in a row. In particular Luton

He talked a few years ago about how he was struggling mentally and went to see a psychologist at Matt Ritchie‘s insistence. Now more than ever he needs our support, good performance or not.

Edited by Ellis H

5 hours ago, Ellis H said:

He talked a few years ago about how he was struggling mentally and went to see a psychologist at Matt Ritchie‘s insistence. Now more than ever he needs our support, good performance or not.

Just watched the PSG home game highlights for the umpteenth time. Little did Sean know then how he'd be the whipping boy 6 months later and that he'd be taking his turn after Dan's. 

10 hours ago, TRC said:

Longstaff is such an odd player. I really can't understand how he can no longer pass a ball at all anymore. Or is he just doing more now and we notice it more?

image.png.6ac15b8f18de81749108782d684055fb.png

image.png.1c2815fdc8bf9d7f2e2a52276cd40721.png

image.png.81a5b46fc9549ea5633d6b48d0836396.png

Weirdly, his stats for last season aren't much better.

:suicide:

We should obviously avoid too much reaction to any player's mistakes, but you have to be realistic. 

I think 'limited' is a bit generous a term really. I would say someone like Burn is limited... good at certain things but has weaknesses and can't do certain things well.

Longstaff is 'poor' rather than limited, he doesn't have any particular strengths and doesn't have a position that he's good at. 

That said, I feel bad always posting about how shit he is so I will try to leave off :lol: The idea was for him to be a sub when Tonali got tired, so he really shouldn't be playing. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Longstaff does have strengths. Even now in poor form he's the best at making 3rd man runs into the opposition's box. He's also our best midfielder at finding space in the box. His tactical execution is generally very good.

At his best he's great at covering space defensively too. He has not been as good at that this season compared to last, but it can be put down to his injury. 

Guy needs a rest and a nice pre-season. Hopefully the operation to install a shooting foot was worth the pain when he's banging in 10 goals next season. 

59 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Not surprised at all at the figures above for Interceptions, Tackles won, ball recoveries and Aerials lost. He's as soft as shite.

42 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

We should obviously avoid too much reaction to any player's mistakes, but you have to be realistic. 

I think 'limited' is a bit generous a term really. I would say someone like Burn is limited... good at certain things but has weaknesses and can't do certain things well.

Longstaff is 'poor' rather than limited, he doesn't have any particular strengths and doesn't have a position that he's good at. 

That said, I feel bad always posting about how shit he is so I will try to leave off :lol: The idea was for him to be a sub when Tonali got tired, so he really shouldn't be playing. 

You're also posting about an injured player. And one that was rightly described as one of the first names on the teamsheet last year. It's very odd in that context to be saying he's a poor player.

1 hour ago, Shearergol said:

image.png.6ac15b8f18de81749108782d684055fb.png

image.png.81a5b46fc9549ea5633d6b48d0836396.png

These are the ones from this season? His passing stats across the board must be among the worst in the league for a midfielder? Probably just about the most important ability as a midfielder is passing. He’s able to do a short pass at absolute average level in the league and then is significantly below average at medium and long passes. If those stats are similar for last year then it’s quite something 

that passing data is more reflective of the role of the number 8s in our system though. They aren't involved in build up deliberately. It's important to bear stuff like that in mind when looking at fbref charts. They aren't going to be high up for the amount of passes taken (and therefore will be low for all pass types too) because our possession either goes through Bruno/Trippier whilst the 8s occupy defenders.

Willock 22/23 (not enough data for this season):

image.thumb.png.956645ec0fc8a9a2cf7a20cc12cf4ecc.png

Joelinton 23/24:

image.thumb.png.60e249ace85cd9d3254c8133f92bac32.png

Edited by Smal

End of season can't come quick enough for him. Under normal circumstances he would have been rotated. Is he good enough for where we are aiming? Probably not, however, I think he will be useful to keep around next season. That being said if we need to move players on for FFP it would not break my heart to see him go.

3 minutes ago, Smal said:

that passing data is more reflective of the role of the number 8s in our system though. They aren't involved in build up deliberately. It's important to bear stuff like that in mind when looking at fbref charts.

Willock 22/23 (not enough data for this season):

image.thumb.png.956645ec0fc8a9a2cf7a20cc12cf4ecc.png

Joelinton 23/24:

image.thumb.png.60e249ace85cd9d3254c8133f92bac32.png

Even accounting for that, Longstaff’s completion %s are taking a battering compared to the others, especially for medium and longer passes. Equally, if his passing stats are poor I’d be looking for other areas to be strong and that’s not the case apart from for blocks. I don’t tend to take a look at these types of stats regularly, only when I’m looking to assess whether my judgements seem to match up with something statistically. It’s hard to make an argument for what Sean’s giving the team currently and for this entire season. Last season, I’d like to see the comparators as he was an extremely useful runner, presser and tackler

42 minutes ago, Smal said:

Longstaff does have strengths. Even now in poor form he's the best at making 3rd man runs into the opposition's box. He's also our best midfielder at finding space in the box. His tactical execution is generally very good.

At his best he's great at covering space defensively too. He has not been as good at that this season compared to last, but it can be put down to his injury. 

Last season:

image.png.312f3238146c92909274a96b9ac6cf4b.png image.png.fa44c0a5d9e1193071be0d7cf10c1c3e.png

image.png.236a660a8783ba7b6734d14927eb457f.png

My worry for him is that he's going down the same route as Ameobi.  He played far too many games whilst injured and basically ruined himself. He went from being a real prospect to being the Shola we all got frustrated with.

If Longstaff has done the same, there's a chance that he'll never fully recover from the injuries he's playing with and his career will continue at the level he's playing at now which is bad for us and him both.

With the assumption that we will not play a different formation/system, who would we honestly have play instead of longstaff? 

Poor lad is forced to play while in his poorest form. Feel for him. Any other time he would be rested/dropped. Just literally cant drop him right now. 

Edited by arnonel

1 hour ago, jonny1403 said:

You're also posting about an injured player. And one that was rightly described as one of the first names on the teamsheet last year. It's very odd in that context to be saying he's a poor player.

Tonali was a direct replacement and one of our major signings. Longstaff had a short period playing above his level but his fundamental ability level is very low. 

1 hour ago, arnonel said:

With the assumption that we will not play a different formation/system, who would we honestly have play instead of longstaff? 

Poor lad is forced to play while in his poorest form. Feel for him. Any other time he would be rested/dropped. Just literally cant drop him right now. 

Right now he has to play, I don’t think there’s any debate about that. I’d be tempted to try White but I understand why we won’t. 

2 hours ago, OverThere said:

How about the crowd gives the lad a big old cheer, waves a flag or does something positive? Moaning and yelling cant be helping whatsoever.

I reckon he'll get a cheer when he doesn't throw himself to the ground after someone looks at him.