Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

Just now, TRon said:

Willock and Joelinton show flashes of real ability on the ball, that's the difference for me.

And Longstaff energy off the ball, we need both.

I think Tonali was the catalyst to change the plan, his ban kept things as they were.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

Willock and Joelinton show flashes of real ability on the ball, that's the difference for me.

The play from Joelinton to receive the ball run through the centre and thread through Longstaff was absolutely brilliant, as an example.

Incomparable what Joelinton and Willock add in general play compared to Longstaff.

Bruno Enhances Longstaffs game, could you imagine if we had the quality of someone that could enhance Bruno's game, that's where we need to be.

Sean can watch and learn, hopefully he'll see what's needed.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Yes, it was Son the other day.

However, most of what Longstaff adds is so poor at this point, that he can't be fluffing such chances. No way. He doesn't have that luxury.

Hang on, last season  Williock and Joe were as profligate. This season Longstaff has played through injury and has been his workhorse self.

FWIW He's this years Willock next year.

Edited by madras

3 minutes ago, madras said:

And Longstaff energy off the ball, we need both.

I think Tonali was the catalyst to change the plan, his ban kept things as they were.

The energy off the ball is gone. I don't even see him getting back or winning the ball back anymore.

He's offering nothing any longer in general play, he's borderline pathetic now. Loads of effort and I'm sure his distance stats look decent but he's a passenger. Doesn't help out defensively, sometimes finishes a chance in the box, doesn't get close enough to press, touch and technique lets him down regularly, misplaces passes, can't stop opposition attacks, occupies the wrong spaces, backs out of challenges, zero aggression and is too often a couple of seconds behind play - just not quite close enough. 

Lovely lad, dreadful footballer. Sell asap 

Just now, midds said:

He's offering nothing any longer in general play, he's borderline pathetic now. Loads of effort and I'm sure his distance stats look decent but he's a passenger. Doesn't help out defensively, sometimes finishes a chance in the box, doesn't get close enough to press, touch and technique lets him down regularly, misplaces passes, can't stop opposition attacks, occupies the wrong spaces, backs out of challenges, zero aggression and is too often a couple of seconds behind play - just not quite close enough. 

Lovely lad, dreadful footballer. Sell asap 

I'd go one further and say he's actually hampering us in games, how many times does he lose the ball or pass it straight to the opposition in promising positions? And although he's actually really good positional wise in the box he wastes so many guilt edged chances.

Fair enough he's carrying injuries, but at this point we have options, just don't play him, Joe has to start Sunday.

9 minutes ago, madras said:

The alternative recently would have been......?

Therein lies our issue, we've had no choice but to play him, but now we do, Joe looks solid, great cameo by him again today. I don't blame Longstaff and I can't blame Howe, but it is massively frustrating watching him stink up the pitch.

Hopefully he gets his injury issues sorted over the summer and he can offer us something from the bench next season. He's not as bad as this version of him, I wouldn't sell him just yet.

Problem with him is now he's 26 and we have options like Miley and Anderson as our cover, with Tonali, Joelinton, Willock all back next season i don't see a reason why he should play, i recall him being such an engine when he first came up and i do remember we were even comparing him and Declan Rice, now he's relying mostly on getting into scoring positions but that's not his primary job.

10 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

He's got 8 goals in all comps. It's a good return, shows genuine improvement on previous seasons. It's a skill in itself to keep getting chances even if you miss them.

It's a good return aye, but on the flip side, he's nearly 27 and has 10 premier league career goals. Suggests that this season has been an anomaly to me. 

There's an argument that shooting is the strongest technical aspect to his game too (better than his passing, control and dribbling for me), which is pretty damning with that stat in mind.  

For me, I may be in a minority, but I've said it before - he's an attacking midfielder. He makes good runs into the box, he can connect well striking the ball. 

When he's not 100% and running for 90 minutes pressing people down, he doesn't have the technical ability or awareness to play further back than behind the strikers.

I don't think we have that sort of position in Eddie's general play though.

I don't think there's a role in any PL team for a really slow attacking midfielder with no technique though, is there? 

Possibly in the Championship, which I think is Longstaff's level. 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don't think there's a role in any PL team for a really slow attacking midfielder with no technique though, is there? 

Possibly in the Championship, which I think is Longstaff's level. 

Yes it's not ideal. He's a poor-man's Nolan if we're looking for a comparison I'd say - with none of the leadership.

For next season as it is then Joelinton, Bruno and Tonali starts in midfield for us. I will be very very disappointed if we don’t add another CM to our squad. We play three CM’s and there will be injuries here and there and then Longstaff will be first choice to step in, and I don’t want that! We don’t want to rely on all our CM staying fit for most of the season.. I’m not even including Willock in this. 

You say (too many) that we are stacked in midfield, yet you always moan about the lack of quality in there. Yes we have been unlucky with injuries/suspensions but even then it’s not enough to play a full season with only three quality midfielders. It’s naive to expect it to work if we are looking to compete for top 4. Consistency over a season is key, but it won’t work without any depth in midfield. You say we have other priorities, well I agree to an extent. However, that new CM doesn’t have to cost a bomb either, or it might even be a good loan that is a long term option. Or a loan with an obligation to buy for next season. There are options out there. We don’t necessarily have sign a Zubimendi/Barella type of quality, but just getting another body in there that has alot more to offer than our other squad midfielders. 

Having said that, I’d be very very surprised if Howe doesn’t get another midfielder in even if no idea of what type of player. Well I at least hope so and think it’s absolutely massively important. 

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I think we do need a midfielder ideally. Possible someone with good technique and game control who could deputise for Bruno when necessary. If you look at Wharton for Palace, hopefully there are some affordable options out there. Either someone young looking for a break or someone older who is happy to play less minutes. Actually wouldn't mind an older head with some experience coming in.

I don't want us to keep Longstaff because I think he actively harms the team, but I expect we will because he's English and a local lad.

CM is the most essential position in our system really, we can't afford to be carrying anyone who can't play to the right level. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

29 minutes ago, captainhaircut said:

Well played Sean. 

62EEA105-9574-4A73-A65C-6FC7DC383933.jpeg

So never mind actually winning any duels, he wasn't even involved in any?!

According to these numbers he was basically out there just to miss chances and give the ball to Man Utd.

He was essentially playing for the opposition for goodness sake.

He can really ping the ball well, from either foot. But he can struggle to make the most basic of passes. That’s less to do with technique and more about him not making a decision early enough. He does seem to 2nd guess himself. 
I’ve a lot of time for him for his character. 
I don’t think he offers much more than ‘legs’ and he can only do that if fully fit and injury free. 
It’s easy to underestimate what effect a Duracell bunny can offer his teammates, especially in midfield. But he doesn’t have many secondary qualities to fall back on if he can’t cover enough grass.