Fabian Schär

5 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Who would you say is a better defender that has played for us?

Define better? Botman's already a better defender. Colo and Woodgate both better "defenders". It's obviously all subjective, and the manager each played for has certainly made a difference.

I'm not sure there's a single area of the game that Coloccini was better at tbh. Close control in tight spaces maybe, but that's almost an irrelevance given the position. 

Just now, Shearergol said:

Define better? Botman's already a better defender. Colo and Woodgate both better "defenders". It's obviously all subjective, and the manager each played for has certainly made a difference.

See personally, I see Schar as a better defender then Botman atm, its obviously unbelievably close, but I feel like Schar goes under the radar a bit with how good he actually is. That said i'm certain Botman will go on to be our greatest ever CB if he sticks around for any length of time.

1 minute ago, 54 said:

See personally, I see Schar as a better defender then Botman atm, its obviously unbelievably close, but I feel like Schar goes under the radar a bit with how good he actually is. That said i'm certain Botman will go on to be our greatest ever CB if he sticks around for any length of time.

A fully fit Botman gets game time at any club in the PL for me.  Schar wouldn’t. 

I liked Colo and would have been interested to see him in a good team but Schar is a better defender and footballer. Colo had basically years where he was a disgrace performance wise which massively soured the good years.

20 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

A new RCB is what we need in the summer if we hope to progress.  Someone with pace, hopefully - we’ve got a particularly slow back line.

Schar should be a squad player next year. 

Schar's a great footballer but that lack of pace in general at the back  has cost some goals. The high press doesn't do him any favours, but he is pretty instrumental to how we play out from the back.

Just now, TRon said:

Schar's a great footballer but that lack of pace in general at the back  has cost some goals. The high press doesn't do him any favours, but he is pretty instrumental to how we play out from the back.

Agreed - I’m happy he’s signed on for another year, he’s an excellent player - but a young RCB would be a priority for me.   I’d have liked to have seen one last summer tbh. 

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Agreed - I’m happy he’s signed on for another year, he’s an excellent player - but a young RCB would be a priority for me.   I’d have liked to have seen one last summer tbh. 

A pacey one is a must.