Fabian Schär

I was never as big on Colo as many on here. But I do think he was a cuter passer of the ball. Schar is more ambitious on the ball, leading to Hollywood passes that lead to more goals and more passes astray.

Schar is better overall, though. Colo got physically dominated so many times. Although the league was more physical in those days. Colo would be better suited to the division today. Schar wouldn't want to see a young Lukaku, Crouch & Defoe partnership, Yakubu and Anichebe partnership either but he would deal with it better.

6 hours ago, LFEE said:

Colo had better footballing ability. Both very similar styles of defender. Both lacking sadly pace which can be exposed. Schär stronger in the air and better at shooting and I dare say free kicks. Ball at their feet there is no contest with Colo coming out on top. Colo would be great in this team also.

Mental. Schar is far, far more accomplished with the ball at his feet. Not a coward who gets bullied by Shane Long either.

In a bizarre sense, Bruce not playing him might have saved on some mileage further down the line. Hopefully he's got a couple of top years left in the tank and then a couple of squad years after that.

9 minutes ago, andycap said:

For now botman has the potential to be better. 

Botman’s already played nearly twice as many games as Woodgate. Schar has played approaching three times as many. Both better in my book: quality and utility (QxU statistic I’ve apparently just made up!). 
Are you having that @STM

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

5 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Botman’s already played nearly twice as many games as Woodgate. Schar has played approaching three times as many. Both better in my book: quality and utility (QxU statistic I’ve apparently just made up!). 
Are you having that @STM

Schar has a rick in him so woodgate is still top dog at the minute. He commanded the whole back four made shit players actually look good. Botman looks like he's cut from the same cloth. 

Just now, andycap said:

Schar has a rick in him so woodgate is still top dog at the minute. He commanded the whole back four made shit players actually look good. Botman looks like he's cut from the same cloth. 

I saw most of Woodgate’s 28 games—well all the home ones inc Europe and a few away, he was class act no doubt. But QxU Andy, it’s a thing! 

11 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Botman’s already played nearly twice as many games as Woodgate

That's an absolutely insane stat.

Woodgate was excellent, I had a season ticket then myself, but the brevity of his tenure here should surely preclude him being quite so high in people's all-time lists. Most of us watched at best a dozen of his games.

Woodgate was surprisingly quick aswell. Cannot remember anyone out pacing him in a foot race. A Leader that couldn't be replaced aswell and when he played I felt we would be fine at the back considering we never had great defenders under Robson.