Fabian Schär - Out for the remainder of the season with Hamstring injury (Howe)

23 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Botman’s already played nearly twice as many games as Woodgate. Schar has played approaching three times as many. Both better in my book: quality and utility (QxU statistic I’ve apparently just made up!). 
Are you having that @STM

Woodgate will never win the award for nostalgia because of his injuries, his departure and some comments IIRC.

However, Woodgate was the real deal. He had everything, besides a body made of playdough. Pace, strength, reading of the game, calmness on the ball. He was class.

Botman will eclipse him... very quickly. He's not as quick as Woodgate but he matches him everywhere else.

6 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Aaron Hughes was better than them all. 

I tell you what, I know you are joking but Hughes had loads of great attributes, he just didn't have the physical dominance.

He's another player we should have never let go. Would have had him over the years of Boumsong and Bramble etc. Also ended up captain of Fulham and NI IIRC. Great player.

11 minutes ago, STM said:

I tell you what, I know you are joking but Hughes had loads of great attributes, he just didn't have the physical dominance.

He's another player we should have never let go. Would have had him over the years of Boumsong and Bramble etc. Also ended up captain of Fulham and NI IIRC. Great player.

Was he wanting first team football? Because he was always involved across the backline. 

29 minutes ago, andycap said:

Woodgate was surprisingly quick aswell. Cannot remember anyone out pacing him in a foot race. A Leader that couldn't be replaced aswell and when he played I felt we would be fine at the back considering we never had great defenders under Robson. 

If I recall correctly, epic battle though it was, a young Drogba shoulder to shoulder for most of the sprint, edged past him at least once. 

5 minutes ago, Collage said:

While we’re on the subject of CBs, one player who, while not as good as the above mentioned, was very good and probably a bit underrated was Sylvian Distin.

Yeah i liked distin he was great while on loan it's a pity we couldn't get him signed. 

22 minutes ago, STM said:

Hughes was great. Solid pro, dependable. Always a 7/10. Flogged and replaced with that drunken Oz bastard Craig Moore. 

13 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

If I recall correctly, epic battle though it was, a young Drogba shoulder to shoulder for most of the sprint, edged past him at least once. 

Think he outpaced Jesper Gronkjaer who was meant to be the quickest in the league

At his very best, Colo seemed to be able to slow time down as he engaged. Like he was floating at times. I agree Schar has probably shown better distribution and ball playing ability but then Colo wasn't really asked to either. Was very good at keeping it simple. Would be interested to see a prime Colo in this team to see what he could do. 

Watched the Sheffield U game again. Schar was pure silk. Clearly playing within himself too. 
I know the standard of opposition can make you look better but you can only look better if you’re, like, actually better. And he was miles above them. 

15 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

Mental. Schar is far, far more accomplished with the ball at his feet. Not a coward who gets bullied by Shane Long either.

I was going to add Long to the list but Schar would handle him better. 

The game has changed a lot mind and Howe is tactically much sharper. Schar isn’t tested that much in behind against a quick striker. 

Didn’t want to quote everyone but stand by Colo had better footballing ability than Schär. Some of those disagreeing clearly not understanding what I’m specifically referring to also.

In short on a 5-A-Side team I’d have Colo over Schär. Think @The College Dropoutcome closest to understanding what I was getting at.

Colo definitely had better control in tighter areas but Schar more than makes up for it with his medium and long passing imo. They play XI a side on big pitches. CBs usually have a decent amount of time on the ball with the whole pitch in front of them, so I'd place a higher priority on my CB being able to play defence splitting passes and switches rather than control in small spaces. 

Colo’s close control and technique was the best I’ve ever seen from a CB. Schär is obviously good on the ball too but his long passing can be a bit hit and miss, glorious ball played is often followed by one that’s nowhere near the target. 

Hope Schär has many years left on the top level, he’s been magnificent since the takeover.

1 minute ago, Smal said:

Colo definitely had better control in tighter areas but Schar more than makes up for it with his medium and long passing imo. They play XI a side on big pitches. CBs usually have a decent amount of time on the ball with the whole pitch in front of them, so I'd place a higher priority on my CB being able to play defence splitting passes and switches rather than control in small spaces. 

Again. That’s not what I’m arguing.