The Magpie Group

Heron

What's going to be the structure of the open meeting?

It's currently being decided but I would suspect that there'll be a host and they'll do an intro about the group then Kev Miles from the FSF is likely to be there so he will do a bit and we may have one or two other speakers who'll have a brief chat but other than that it will be a Q and A suggestions type thing where everyone has a chance to talk and opinions and suggestions. Like I say we're still busy planning though :thup:

In game protests just aren’t going to happen. Certainly not en masse anyway.

I walked out in the Cardiff game on 60 mins and got dogs abuse. Just for silently getting up and walking out. The overwhelming majority of match going fans couldn’t give a tenth of a fuck. Difficult not to be critical without making sweeping generalisations but as long as they’re watching PL football and having a day out with their mates on the beer they’re perfectly content. Keep the status quo and their own little Saturday routines.

The SJP crowd is a completely different beast to that of the 80s and 90s.

100% correct and to say it pisses me off is an understatement

I will be going next Wednesday to the open meeting and there are a few things I hope are discussed or things I will raise.

We have had a great start to the fight against Ashley on social media and protesting outside Nortumberland street SD but this needs to be ramped up. We can’t just keep protesting outside the Nortumberland street one as Ashley Can take the hit on one store and any media attention will get bored and stop covering it. We need to move on to hitting multiple stores at one time such as Metro Centre, Team Valley and Kingston park as well as Northumberland street. There was a great point made on twitter of hitting flannels when that opens. If we can communicate with supporters in other parts of the country who are willing to protest to also hit their local SD stores at the same time that would be great.

We also need to be more reactive. For example, the last protest we had major media outlets that  picked up the story but unfortunately due to the weather there wasn’t as many people at the protest. If we were reactive we could have said right, we will do this but then move the main protest to outside the ground near the ticket office as this is under cover and would have had a lot more people going. We just need to be able to think outside the box at short notice.

The magpie group need to get the e-mail details of people willing to be at these protests so things can be arranged.

The media will get bored so we need to keep coming up with new and big ways to keep the attention on this. People don’t want to protest inside the ground which I understand but surely there isn’t anything wrong with protesting before and after games outside the ground especially when the sky cameras are there.

Guest firetotheworks

TBH, I think it seems to have sort of organically moved away from bothering the with the Customer Services one because all it can really do is piss people off who are just trying to get their problems solved. The odd post linking the customers to sportsredirect might be a good way to go though, I dunno.

TBH, I think it seems to have sort of organically moved away from bothering the with the Customer Services one because all it can really do is piss people off who are just trying to get their problems solved. The odd post linking the customers to sportsredirect might be a good way to go though, I dunno.

Aye. I think if all avenues can keep being hit it helps drive people away from using them though. I struggle to keep up with all the social media bombardment like personally but I'd like to think it's relentless still.

Lots of people are asking about streaming and wider coverage, has that been something publicly confirmed?

We're uncertain of the WiFi facilities there but we are certainly looking into this. I'll try to remember that update you all on here if I hear owt.

Good post and some good ideas. We'll certainly be considering these options :thup: see you Wednesday.

I will be going next Wednesday to the open meeting and there are a few things I hope are discussed or things I will raise.

We have had a great start to the fight against Ashley on social media and protesting outside Nortumberland street SD but this needs to be ramped up. We can’t just keep protesting outside the Nortumberland street one as Ashley Can take the hit on one store and any media attention will get bored and stop covering it. We need to move on to hitting multiple stores at one time such as Metro Centre, Team Valley and Kingston park as well as Northumberland street. There was a great point made on twitter of hitting flannels when that opens. If we can communicate with supporters in other parts of the country who are willing to protest to also hit their local SD stores at the same time that would be great.

We also need to be more reactive. For example, the last protest we had major media outlets that  picked up the story but unfortunately due to the weather there wasn’t as many people at the protest. If we were reactive we could have said right, we will do this but then move the main protest to outside the ground near the ticket office as this is under cover and would have had a lot more people going. We just need to be able to think outside the box at short notice.

The magpie group need to get the e-mail details of people willing to be at these protests so things can be arranged.

The media will get bored so we need to keep coming up with new and big ways to keep the attention on this. People don’t want to protest inside the ground which I understand but surely there isn’t anything wrong with protesting before and after games outside the ground especially when the sky cameras are there.

Good post and some good ideas. We'll certainly be considering these options :thup: see you Wednesday.

It's the people not willing to protest inside the ground that I don't understand. Tbh this battle is way more important than what happens on the pitch. Whether we survive or go down, in the grand scheme of things it matters not one bit. Rafa won't be here this time next year regardless (unless Ashley is gone) and i'd expect 2 or 3 of our better players won't be far behind him.

If people are worried about not getting enough coverage or the media getting bored, a mass demonstration inside SJP to a Worldwide audience would certainly get people taking notice.

It's the people not willing to protest inside the ground that I don't understand. Tbh this battle is way more important than what happens on the pitch. Whether we survive or go down, in the grand scheme of things it matters not one bit. Rafa won't be here this time next year regardless (unless Ashley is gone) and i'd expect 2 or 3 of our better players won't be far behind him.

If people are worried about not getting enough coverage or the media getting bored, a mass demonstration inside SJP to a Worldwide audience would certainly get people taking notice.

I know what you mean. I think the season where Keegan left put a lot of people off protesting in the ground. One thing that really got me was during the spurs game I was sitting in the family enclosure as I took my son to his first premier league game. A chant went up of stand up if you hate Ashley and other than me and me son I could only see a couple of people around me standing up. You could see people just putting their heads down or thinking I’m not doing that. For me that pissed me right off and just showed me the problems you would have trying to do a mass protest in the ground. I’m sorry to say we now have a mix of fair weather supporters, supporters who are now just going to meet up with their mates (which is what all my friends do now but will be cancelling when Rafa leaves), the ones that genuinely believe everything is ok. A lot of your hardcore supporters that will protest have given up their season tickets in their own protest. I think there should be protests at the ground and the reason I mention outside is those fans that have cancelled their season ticket in protest can be there plus we will always get some radge kids from Elswick joining in  ;D 

:ructions:

I know what you mean. I think the season where Keegan left put a lot of people off protesting in the ground. One thing that really got me was during the spurs game I was sitting in the family enclosure as I took my son to his first premier league game. A chant went up of stand up if you hate Ashley and other than me and me son I could only see a couple of people around me standing up. You could see people just putting their heads down or thinking I’m not doing that. For me that pissed me right off and just showed me the problems you would have trying to do a mass protest in the ground. I’m sorry to say we now have a mix of fair weather supporters, supporters who are now just going to meet up with their mates (which is what all my friends do now but will be cancelling when Rafa leaves), the ones that genuinely believe everything is ok. A lot of your hardcore supporters that will protest have given up their season tickets in their own protest. I think there should be protests at the ground and the reason I mention outside is those fans that have cancelled their season ticket in protest can be there plus we will always get some radge kids from Elswick joining in  ;D 

:ructions:

Spot on. I was going to post something similar yesterday. A lot of the hardcore lads, those that did all the European aways, Southampton away on a Wednesday night etc have chucked it in over the last few years. I know loads of people who I would have classed as diehard fans who won't go near SJP these days and they've been replaced with a far more passive type of supporter. People who don't think it's "cool" to protest and that it's disloyal to say anything negative about the club.

What hit home for me was West Ham at home, in Carvers last game. We could have went down but regardless there was a mass protest and sit in planned for after the final whistle. In the end about 200 of us stayed back and the other 50k just walked out, totally not interested in any of it. That's our fanbase these days. Give me the likes of Rangers, Liverpool, or even West Ham over that any day.

People have been trying to organise in ground protests for years and years, they go nowhere simply because the people that give a fuck are too spread out. It'd achieve nowt, they never do.

I and plenty of others (and maybe you too) will have seen plenty of people over the years standing up by themselves and getting shushed and told to sit down by 85% of the folk sat around them.  Most of the people who go to watch the match these days are just doing it for the day out and the social side of it imo; you can keep fucking trying it as many times as you like but there's still no real way to organise an effective protest in a stadium where about 40,000 people won't be interested or will be actively hostile to it.

There have been spontaneous anti Ashley chants at both home games, without any organisation.

Appetite to do something is at it's highest since KK left imo, it's worth another go.

I hear what you are saying, the walkout and boycott weren't great but i still say it's better than nothing.

A late entry into the ground hasn't been tried before as far as i'm aware, people will only be missing the first 10-15 minutes, worth a go i think.

Has anyone issued the MP an invitation? Perhaps an open invitation (ie Twitter or FB) to encourage her?

I believe she was invited but couldn't make it.

with what she is doing about his free use for advertising and allowing his brands free worldwide exposure ,she touched on correct me if im wrong about his purchase of the club and his loaning of millions and does she suspect a rabbit off with that loan ?.Is there an independent body who oversees the buyout by him with Shepherd and they can see if he is lying about said loan or do we take his word on it ?