The Magpie Group

Heron

Guest Howaythetoon

HTT was put in charge of negotiations.

Just waiting on his response to be exported to a 10TB external drive to be passed on.

Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts.

Almost as boring as one of his own posts...

HTT was put in charge of negotiations.

Just waiting on his response to be exported to a 10TB external drive to be passed on.

Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah.

Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah

Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah.

Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah

Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah.

Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah

Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah

Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah

Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah Getting bored of reading peoples responses to HTT posts. Blah blah blah

Aye, i agree.

Guest firetotheworks

Perhaps overly ambitious, but is there any chance of this group looking to identify/encourage a buyer for the club? Whilst i fully support protests, the endgame here is someone paying the fat man 400 mil. It would be good if supporters could be involved in that somehow, rather than him being driven to hand the club over to the venky brothers.

That's one of the things they need to be doing imho.

The other, and I might get some flak for this, would be trying to open some dialogue with Ashley himself......get him sat down and say look, we're not going away, can you please just do the honourable thing and sell the club on. He may see it as an opportunity to gain some decent publicity and more importantly for him, save some face. If he doesn't want to know, the gloves need to come off.

Honourable thing  :lol: :lol:

Aye :lol:

Sorry but that's just funny. Ashley isn't just going to have a major u-turn.

If this stuff about the training ground invitation is true, then he's obviously someone who likes to have his ego massaged, and it's worth a shot. If he refuses to meet them or dismisses it out of hand, it's more bad publicity for him, so there would be nothing to lose imho.

It's virtually impossible to second guess the bloke, so who knows how he would react?

You've got about as much chance of a successful negotiation as Gazza did with his fishing rod.

Guest Howaythetoon

While I mostly post my long posts for my own benefit and not others these days as it allows me to jot down my own thoughts on things and helps me at least make sense of things, it’s becoming apparent N.O is not the place for any in-depth analysis or debate about NUFC which has been the case for a long time now.

Most posts are a reaction to something brought to peoples attention in the traditional media or social media or a reaction to what someone has or hasn’t posted in regards to a player, a game, a moment in a game or if someone dares to have a different opinion. Even then general comments and posts now follow a formulaic structure usually around a few topics or figures.

HBA is great. No he’s a waster.

Pardew man ruined HBA. No he ruined himself.

Mitrovic is great. No he’s shite.

Mitrovic has been wasted here. No he has wasted our time.

And so on and so on.

There is no debate or analysis and when it does rarely enter into things, it gets lost in the babble of inane shite that makes up the majority of the NUFC forum. For all it’s comedy value, RAWK for example, beats this place hands down when it comes to debate, analysis, insight and a greater understanding of the game, players and with it knowledge. N.O is more akin to RTG, but better moderated and not as sweary.

Now I’m not saying my posts bring that to N.O or even try to, but that’s what I used to love about this place and to be honest I’ll probably jack in posting on this part of the forum (yay you all say) because it’s just tedious, far more than my own posts even in my humble.

That’s not me looking for sympathy, again, I post on here for my own benefit not for others, the days where a post that wasn’t more than a few lines on a subject would often be the seed of decent debate that evolved into a group all contributing are long gone.

Today the Board Wars of yesteryear have morphed into the HBA/Mitrovic wars and while I wouldn't wish for a return of those kind of debates, fuck me, it’s a level above the shite those respective threads and the back and forth drivel spouted often in reaction to HBA is great or HBA is a loser descends into.

You can’t even be critical of how we approach games or even attempt to offer another idea before it becomes the team are not good enough, do you want us to get relegated, did you see how many Huddersfield shipped in, who would you have instead of Rafa, look at how much our players cost compared to theirs etc. etc. etc.

It’s literally pointless trying to create a debate or offer anything more than a few safe thoughts on a subject these days and if you do say something alternative or a bit risky, you better hope it gets lost among the other stuff.

tl;dr yada yada

I mostly agree with your views, HTT[/member] . I think it's mainly down to the state of NUFC these days. The fanbase en masse is just angry and angsty and when they are faced with alternative views it's easier to snap than try to engage in a discussion, like one would do when things were going good and you had optimism. Also, whenever one might try to start a discussion, it quickly boils down to posters trying to get snide remarks in about the poster rather than actually engaging the discussion at hand.

Also, people have a MUCH shorter attention span than only a few years ago. Shifting trends in the online landscape confirms this. You'd need to get someone engaged almost immediately for them to bother reading/watching/engaging in anything online these days, hence a long post will spark more tl;dr replies in a jokey manner than actual responses.

But, like with anything, we might just be viewing "old N-O" through nostalgia glasses. For one, this place runs much more smoothly than a few years ago. Posters on here in general are good people as well as good posters, and the general feeling of the place is very much less antagonistic than it was when I first started posting here.

Struggling to elaborate on what I mean but I think long posts are good for both the poster and the reader as they can both sharpen the mind and open more ideas. A demonstrably more intelligent fan base who can elaborate on their thoughts, properly debate and agree to disagree is a positive thing really, it gives us more Caulkin’s and these are the type of fans we need right now who can discuss issues in a positive and thoughtful way and not get stuck in the mud.

I’d quite like to see a new highly moderated thread called ‘The NUFC Debate’ or something similar, all posts must be a minimum of five full lines (PC format) no personal attacks, no going off topic, respecting others opinions but still being allowed to disagree if you have different ideas or different evidence. I think such a thread would be a slow burner and a bit marmite but done right it could really strengthen the wider debate over the club, and allow fans to find a voice.

I always wonder how fast he can type, but I also am a fan of the long post and usually approve of his :)

If a picture is worth a thousand words you definitely are giving him a run for his money [emoji38]

Guest Howaythetoon

I mostly agree with your views, HTT[/member] . I think it's mainly down to the state of NUFC these days. The fanbase en masse is just angry and angsty and when they are faced with alternative views it's easier to snap than try to engage in a discussion, like one would do when things were going good and you had optimism. Also, whenever one might try to start a discussion, it quickly boils down to posters trying to get snide remarks in about the poster rather than actually engaging the discussion at hand.

Also, people have a MUCH shorter attention span than only a few years ago. Shifting trends in the online landscape confirms this. You'd need to get someone engaged almost immediately for them to bother reading/watching/engaging in anything online these days, hence a long post will spark more tl;dr replies in a jokey manner than actual responses.

But, like with anything, we might just be viewing "old N-O" through nostalgia glasses. For one, this place runs much more smoothly than a few years ago. Posters on here in general are good people as well as good posters, and the general feeling of the place is very much less antagonistic than it was when I first started posting here.

Aye you are probably right. It certainly doesn’t help when the joy and hope has been sucked out of everyone which obviously has an impact on how bothered people are or get involved. I’ve actually forced myself to watch more non Newcastle games this season following the WC which I enjoyed as it rekindled some of that love and interest in the game and find the Other Games’ thread more interesting than any of our pre or post match threads. And others’ actual games...

Nostalgia is always going to be looked upon favourably and although N.O is still and always will be a great forum with some great people and has no equal in terms of a forum for our team for us fans to participate in, this section has kind of followed our club’s fortunes over the years and nosedived in quality and diverse opinions. There are cliques if not in groups of certain members, certainly in opinion. I was appalled at some of the stick Dinho received recently for some of his opinions for example which dragged him down to a level where he become defensive, aggressive even and he’s a good poster. It happens to other posters too. I don’t think intentionally by the way, just out of how reactive many have become to what gets posted or doesn’t. Safe views rule.

Losing old posters like Mick (I do hope he is well) and strong personalities like Ronaldo haven’t helped in that regard and for all of the insanity of the Board Wars (meaning the club’s board not between here and Toontastic) the likes of NE5 and HTL brought a knowledge of history and of bygone eras in their posting which added weight and respect even when they were being twats and blatantly wrong.

Social media seems to feed this forum a lot in terms of supplying the subject of discussion on here more than ever and I find it tedious and at times dominant. New members are the lifeblood of any forum, but there are many members these days who I don’t recognise and while I know many change their name, or have done, there seems to be loads I can’t exactly name off the top of my head, but if I see them posting I’m like now there is a blast from the past or a name I recognise from way back. Boo Boy for example. Brummie too. Names that stand out whose opinions you value and can have a debate with.

Years back some posters would have put forward ideas or analysis on how we could beat someone like a Man City, or a different way to approach such a game and again that would plant the seed for a good debate. Today you can’t question Rafa and any other method is pointless and therefore not worth even talking about because it all leads to a hammering anyway. I find it sad 4 games in fans are looking at the final goals against column come May. That’s not a reflection of the forum, just how low expectations have been lowered and how important these things have become to fans. It used to be important to staticians!

Fans by and large despite the advances in tactics, stats and an ability to watch games from all over the world at all levels are never more dumbed down today in terms of the debate around tactics, systems etc. With the likes of fucking BT and Sky via TV and social media feeding everyone a constant stream of one sided bull shit they then use the likes of fucking Michael Owen to front in their quest to qualify what they pump out as fact, true and which cannot be argued with because he won a Balon Dor and is therefore the expert so we better all accept that and tune in next week to hear the thoughts of Robbie Savage on why Rafa Benítez is the antithesis of what the PL is all about or has been left behind.

No they are and should be and us fans if we allow ourselves to be sucked into this world of absolute tedium bull shit that they change from one week to another. Again Spurs beat Man Utd and all of a sudden it’s because they didn’t change their team and are working with what they have. Mourinho should take not and stop whining about his lack of spend. The week later they lose to Watford and they are out of the title race and lost because they didn’t improve the team in the transfer window.

There is a reason our manager is a guest at UEFA headquarters as one of their elite coachs, because they want him and others like them to talk about, develop and promote their excellence and ideas so others can follow, use, build on and to keep the game interesting and developing all the time outside of it being all about putting the ball into the back of the net or your team picking up 3 points or staying in the game or a player going in hard to show who is boss or to ruffle some feathers which is the round and round rhetoric that dullards like Savage espouse and which creeps into places like here becoming keywords in ‘debates’.

I exaggerate of course, but it feels like that.

Anyway...

Sorry for derailing the thread btw.

Ashley Out