Newcastle United 1-2 Chelsea - 26/08/18 - post match reaction from page 20

Greg

It is possible to play defensive, counter attacking football without allowing the opposition the ball to the point that you only have 15 percent possession and are unable to get out of your half for large stretches of the match, especially whilst at home. Teams manage this every single weekend in this league, and have done so for years, even at great financial disparity. To Benitez's credit, the team was fighting for the entire match and could have stolen a point, so it wasn't a bad performance by any means. I just don't understand the tactics.

Chelsea are a relatively weak team defensively. When we actually put pressure on that back line, Joselu was able to jog past David Luiz, who was standing completely still for some unexplainable reason, and easily nod it into the goal. It would have been nice to see more of this.

I'm not sure if it's the tactics or rather just not enough players who are either technically or physically up to it. When you are playing a deep formation with counter-attacking intention, it takes a lot of precision and technique in tight spaces. Then you have players like Ritchie who don't have the pace to counter either.

It is possible to play defensive, counter attacking football without allowing the opposition the ball to the point that you only have 15 percent possession and are unable to get out of your half for large stretches of the match, especially whilst at home. Teams manage this every single weekend in this league, and have done so for years, even at great financial disparity. To Benitez's credit, the team was fighting for the entire match and could have stolen a point, so it wasn't a bad performance by any means. I just don't understand the tactics.

Chelsea are a relatively weak team defensively. When we actually put pressure on that back line, Joselu was able to jog past David Luiz, who was standing completely still for some unexplainable reason, and easily nod it into the goal. It would have been nice to see more of this.

I'm not sure if it's the tactics or rather just not enough players who are either technically or physically up to it. When you are playing a deep formation with counter-attacking intention, it takes a lot of precision and technique in tight spaces. Then you have players like Ritchie who don't have the pace to counter either.

I don’t think it was a tactical decision for our ball retention to be absolute turd. We could have had loads more of the ball if our players could pass.

I don’t think it was a tactical decision for our ball retention to be absolute turd. We could have had loads more of the ball if our players could pass.

Honestly I think that's 95% of it. Rafa wasn't saying it in so many words, but when he said if I had Eden Hazard in my team maybe I could set the team up different, he is pretty much saying that. Watching us give the ball away under the slightest bit of pressure is embarrassing sometimes.

Football news is dictated by narrative. No way would Redknapp and Souness have gone in on Benitez like that managing Liverpool, it goes against the 'Liverpool are the greatest thing since sliced bread rhetoric.

Fact is if Rafa had been sufficiently backed, we wouldn't be in a position where the likes of Yedlin, Fernandez and Joselu are getting a run out v Chelsea, if we'd have gone toe to toe with them we'd have been murdered.

Guest firetotheworks

I swear down these moron pundits would fucking love Douglas Haig. I can't stand this weird trait we seem to have as a nation for being proud of fully launching yourself into certain defeat.

Guest firetotheworks

Can't believe they asked Sarri if he'd ever seen Rafa being so defensive. Of course he wouldn't have because in Italy he had Insigne, Callejon, Mertens and Hamšik in his attack. [emoji38] ffs

Beggars belief, man. That ridiculous cunt Keys has been trying to claim on Twitter that none of the team Allardyce had would get in this one. Imagine being proud of being that brain-dead.

I swear down these moron pundits would fucking love Douglas Haig. I can't stand this weird trait we seem to have as a nation for being proud of fully launching yourself into certain defeat.

Like that analogy. :lol: The Sky studio full of Douglas Haigs blasting Alexei Brusilov for not just hoying all his men in one clump towards the enemy machine guns.

they just want to be able to wank over Hazard/Aguero/Salah scoring 4 or 5 goals a game against what they perceive as filler for the league (ie everyone below arsenal in the table last year)

Guest firetotheworks

Like that analogy. [emoji38] The Sky studio full of Douglas Haigs blasting Alexei Brusilov for not just hoying all his men in one clump towards the enemy machine guns.

[emoji38] :thup: There's probably a Les/Franz Ferdinand reference in there somewhere.

Ask the c*** why his brother after a few months under that f***ing loon looks 20 times the player his brother looked under rafa.

Please someone post his retort?

Give over.

Is that an unreasonable question?

I bet there was a ground swell watching that shit v Cardiff were at least thinking it.

Ask the c*** why his brother after a few months under that f***ing loon looks 20 times the player his brother looked under rafa.

Please someone post his retort?

Give over.

Is that an unreasonable question?

I bet there was a ground swell watching that s*** v Cardiff were at least thinking it.

Can you please provide examples of his brother producing quality (at Premier League level) as good as his assist at Stoke or goal at Man City?

Considering the soft shit they got for their goals, it was irritating how the ref treated Jacob today.

Aye for all his going down rather easily, he got nowt from the ref but every slight touch on a Chelsea player got one, utterly biased reffing.

Didn't realise their possession was quite that high like. 81%, fucking hell.

Most of that was in non threatening areas and once again Dubs had very little to do, possession like most stats don't always tell the whole story.

Most of that was in non threatening areas and once again Dubs had very little to do, possession like most stats don't always tell the whole story.

I don't disagree in general, but that is spectacularly low for a home team. MOTD just had a stat that it's our lowest in the last 15 years, home or away. 2nd and 3rd were the Man City games last season.

I don't disagree in general, but that is spectacularly low for a home team. MOTD just had a stat that it's our lowest in the last 15 years, home or away. 2nd and 3rd were the Man City games last season.

It's a means to an end, and if that end means we finish 17th or higher i don't care. Say Rafa had spent £60m then i would be not so care free with it. But in scrapping around for players and our dearest signing being £9.5m, well it is what it is.

That mackem sky presenter at the end, "the fixtures have been tough aswell, Spurs and Chelsea in their first two home games, albeit games they did pretty well in last season, but this time round a different approach from Rafa Benitez and they have come undone."

Lost 0-2 to Spurs last season, spinning cunts.