Newcastle United 1-2 Chelsea - 26/08/18 - post match reaction from page 20

Greg

I just don’t see how a tactic of giving one of the best teams in the world 90% Poseidon for 90 minutes can work. Have we ever actually got anything from parking the bus? I think it’s a massively overrated tactic.

Well, we've trident usually not gotten anywhere by attacking for 90. Just don't have the personnel.

Nuclear weapons is taking it a bit far.

Guest alijmitchell

Struggle to really care about any of it really - the whole club needs a lift. While Rafa did perhaps bring criticism onto himself with the way we played from the media, everything has to be seen in the bigger picture - the club is in decline again and he is one man.

The tactics wasn't pretty but you were well on your way to get a point. Chelsea was getting frustrated and their confidence was seeping away. The ref changed the dynamic of the game with that penalty. He gave Chelsea a shot in the arm which affected the flow.

Looking at the poor decisions this weekend alone, the premier league should consider bringing in VAR this season itself (I know it is not feasible). There is no excuse for not having VAR next season.

Players fought brilliantly for a point there, but with the ref apparently being a bent fuck (I haven't seen any of it back) it wasn't to be. Was well on the way to 0-0. Shame. And without having read any of the thread back, this was just like Man City at home last season. Dickheads like Richard Keys saying he knows some fans that would rather lose 5-4 than win 1-0. Anyone having a go at Rafa for today is the living embodiment of that stereotype. The problem is Ashley, had he backed Rafa we would've had better players and be able to play a more offensive game.

Heard Sky are peddling the same utter shite as they did for Man City at home then. They seem so offended by it. Stop televising us then you fucks. Only people who haven't had a go at us for playing like that were BT after Man City away last season.

Took 3 random teams who finished below us last season, West Ham Huddersfield & Stoke.  Here are their (and our) GD stats against last season's top 3

West Ham GF 5, GA 14, -9

Huddersfield GF 1, GA 12, -11

Stoke GF 6, GA 21, -15

Newcastle GF 3, GA 11, -8

We finished above 2 teams solely because of the GD.  It could easily happen again this season, but instead of for 10th it could be for 17th. 

Can't for the life of me understand why people don't understand why Rafa plays the way he does against these teams which are so clearly miles better than us.  GD counts, man. A lot, potentially.

Attack more today and lose 4-0 and the same people will be wondering why the fuck we were so open

No issue with Rafa’s approach today. Shame we had play Ki over a hurt Shelvey. Schar did well and was unlucky to get a penalty conceded for that tackle. We fought back well and got fucked again by classic horrendous luck because we’re seemingly always cursed.

That game today laid bare exactly where we are as a club these days, can’t help but feel dejected.

They brought Giroud, Willian and fucking Barkley off the bench :lol:

Night and day in terms of player quality on the pitch throughout too, especially in terms of technique. The ball was sticking to them like glue.

To lose by only one goal is decent, when looking at the bigger picture, but to lose that way and so late was pure :anguish:

They’ll batter a fair few sides this season playing like that.

Took 3 random teams who finished below us last season, West Ham Huddersfield & Stoke.  Here are their (and our) GD stats against last season's top 3

West Ham GF 5, GA 14, -9

Huddersfield GF 1, GA 12, -11

Stoke GF 6, GA 21, -15

Newcastle GF 3, GA 11, -8

We finished above 2 teams solely because of the GD.  It could easily happen again this season, but instead of for 10th it could be for 17th. 

Can't for the life of me understand why people don't understand why Rafa plays the way he does against these teams which are so clearly miles better than us.  GD counts, man. A lot, potentially.

Attack more today and lose 4-0 and the same people will be wondering why the fuck we were so open

He played in an attacking motion against Man Utd, Arsenal (both a lot more crucial than today), Chelsea and Tottenham so he quite clearly doen't play that way all the time. Those 9 points had far more impact than any goal difference also.  I can take on board we were missing two of our key players for whatever reason (by all accounst he was still planning on playing 5 at the back) or even five at the back away but the fact is everytime we play five at the back we get beat (think we have drawn once). Everytime Rondon got the ball he was isolated and any support was virtually non existent. Against Tottenham we were genuinely unlucky - today we deserved nothing.

It is possible to play defensive, counter attacking football without allowing the opposition the ball to the point that you only have 15 percent possession and are unable to get out of your half for large stretches of the match, especially whilst at home. Teams manage this every single weekend in this league, and have done so for years, even at great financial disparity. To Benitez's credit, the team was fighting for the entire match and could have stolen a point, so it wasn't a bad performance by any means. I just don't understand the tactics.

Chelsea are a relatively weak team defensively. When we actually put pressure on that back line, Joselu was able to jog past David Luiz, who was standing completely still for some unexplainable reason, and easily nod it into the goal. It would have been nice to see more of this.

👍🏼