Miguel Almirón

Deuce

Football is always about if's , but's, could've and would've.

If we weren't as complacent we  could've won the game. If Eddie didn't make any subs we could've won the game.

If Eddie didn't make subs we could've had injuries to key players.

If Miggy had scored we would've won.

If Allison hadn't made a worldly save we would've won.

If the ball hadn't hit the back of Botman and bounced perfectly for Nunez then we would've got a point.

And so on and so on.

The thing is, if Miggy has scored two goals he would be a hero and everyone would be bigging him up.

If.

He was unlucky and on another day he would be the hero.

The game is about luck among many other things and Liverpool got it when it mattered and we didn't.

Miggy can be frustrating at times but certainly wouldn't single him out for any major criticism in that game.

If Bruno hadn't tried to play an outside of the right boot pass out wide from midfield then we wouldn't have conceded that goal. But if that pass had come off he would be lauded.

Eddie Howe stated last season that the game was about moments. It really is.

There's a fine line between good and bad and it takes moments.

Edited by magvicar

Has Miggy ever played on the left for a spell? I truly can’t remember. 

Would have thought it would help with the defensive side of things and surely that left foot would get some balls in the box. 

Maybe a swap with Gordon?

If he has and was shit just ignore me :fool:

5 minutes ago, Nowhere Man said:

Would have thought it would help with the defensive side of things and surely that left foot would get some balls in the box. 

Crosses would be better, but it would nullify his goal threat. All he pretty much have is his left footed curler into the left corner(which i dont mind at all as long as it gets the job done).

More than any other position I thought a new dynamite starting RW would provide the most material upgrade to the team (even more than LB) and likely bring the best out of the likes of Isak and Wilson. I like Miggy most of the time, but he shouldn't be a starter.

3 minutes ago, Beren said:

More than any other position I thought a new dynamite starting RW would provide the most material upgrade to the team (even more than LB) and likely bring the best out of the likes of Isak and Wilson. I like Miggy most of the time, but he shouldn't be a starter.

With one of his best abilities being able to run for 90 minutes, its starter or nothing imo. Same with Longstaff. Wasted otherwise 

In general play he doesn’t offer much threat.  Not through passing or dribbling really.  
He’s got good movement in general and in the box to get on the end of chances but he doesn’t have the quality and composure to regular score imo. 

Going forward in open play his most useful attribute is creating space for Trips. And with Tonali not linking so well yet and managers defending against it - we need more from him.  

If we’re not going to play any genuine creative midfielders we need more threat from wide. 

I would’ve liked Howe to have gone 4231 at a point. More players in attacking positions. 

14 minutes ago, Displayname said:

With one of his best abilities being able to run for 90 minutes, its starter or nothing imo. Same with Longstaff. Wasted otherwise 

Disagree a little bit. I think he could be a starter at home vs Luton. Or in cup competitions in certain rounds. I don't think it's all or nothing IMO.

Just now, Beren said:

Disagree a little bit. I think he could be a starter at home vs Luton. Or in cup competitions in certain rounds. I don't think it's all or nothing IMO.

Think we would be better selling him off then and getting a talent in to utilize in those games. Should get a decent fee for him.

1 hour ago, Displayname said:

Think we would be better selling him off then and getting a talent in to utilize in those games. Should get a decent fee for him.

A bit late in the window for that tbh. If he doesn't improve, then maybe in january.

Edited by Erikse

Miggy has basically had one purple patch in nearly 5 years here, his 8 goals in 9 games last season, and other than that has very little to show. (12 goals in his other 138 games)

If every Nufc fan knows he can't kick with his right foot and has to cut inside, then i'm pretty sure every manager does too. 3 chances for Miggy to be the hero on Sunday, and i will give it to him that Allison's save will possibly be the save of the season, and the post is so close, but ultimately none go in. Diaz (albeit a £85m signing) gets 2 chances and scores both, that's the difference.

I dont dislike him, and we won't find anyone with more heart, but if we are to progress, he will eventually need to be replaced with better.

1 hour ago, Karjala said:

Miggy has basically had one purple patch in nearly 5 years here, his 8 goals in 9 games last season, and other than that has very little to show. (12 goals in his other 138 games)

If every Nufc fan knows he can't kick with his right foot and has to cut inside, then i'm pretty sure every manager does too. 3 chances for Miggy to be the hero on Sunday, and i will give it to him that Allison's save will possibly be the save of the season, and the post is so close, but ultimately none go in. Diaz (albeit a £85m signing) gets 2 chances and scores both, that's the difference.

I dont dislike him, and we won't find anyone with more heart, but if we are to progress, he will eventually need to be replaced with better.

The one off the post was off the back of an amazing run all of his own making, created that opportunity out of nowhere for himself, very unlucky it only hit the post

The worldie save again 9/10 that goes in, not many would save that even if you get a hand to it, it was struck very sweetly

The unforgivable miss was the one where it was on a plate and he skied it, it was ironically the easiest of the lot. Old Miggy-esque. It’s getting the simple stuff right Almiron struggles with, the sublime he actually does pretty well with. 

3 hours ago, kingxlnc said:

The one off the post was off the back of an amazing run all of his own making, created that opportunity out of nowhere for himself, very unlucky it only hit the post

The worldie save again 9/10 that goes in, not many would save that even if you get a hand to it, it was struck very sweetly

The unforgivable miss was the one where it was on a plate and he skied it, it was ironically the easiest of the lot. Old Miggy-esque. It’s getting the simple stuff right Almiron struggles with, the sublime he actually does pretty well with. 

Its also not by chance that he is the one that are getting in the position to get those chances. This guy knows running and positioning.

Edited by Displayname

18 hours ago, Nowhere Man said:

He played on the left early on under Rafa if my memory isn't playing tricks. Basically the same  position and role as Kenedy 

1 hour ago, Karjala said:

Yes this is all true but using his output from 2.5 seasons of Bruceball and half a season where Eddie didn't play him skews those stats massively.

For what it's worth I don't think he’ll get the same return as last year, but I don't expect him to go another season without scoring either. Not least because as this season has shown so far, we aren't solely attacking down the right this year.

I don’t think he warrants being singled out as he was close to scoring twice and was really unlucky. The thing that surprises me is that we didn’t go for another option on the right in the market. There’s probably a number of reasons why, but the options down that side are pretty weak. However, I guess once Tino is up to speed we might see him come on in games. Actually I wondered if taking Trippier off at times might be the move because I think we’re a bit predictable down that side at the moment.

The stick he gets is massively overstated but we've got a problem if he's playing full matches against the best opposition. He's a very useful starter to keep things tight to then be subbed off for someone with more fret or a sub. Howe recognised this more in the second half of last season so I'm hoping Sunday was related to fitness.

The total lack of a right foot is a major issue and always will be. If you look at Gordon, he can use his weaker foot to provide service into the box. Miggy always cuts back onto his left and teams have wised up to this. It's got to be frustrating for the forwards also, who are making runs to find space when the ball is not coming in.