Miguel Almirón

Deuce

6 minutes ago, Chris L said:

yeah i agree, not dismissing that, more just the factor teams around have strengthened when we have not. so its more that worry than anything. 

Yeah I agree with that, but there are always transfers you look at on paper at the start of the season as impressive that ultimately fail and there will be teams again that fail. My main worry is that you should always freshen things up each season. So even one new big signing now would at least freshen things up a bit, 

36 minutes ago, TRon said:

Maybe, but every decision like this impacts further down the line. If we want to keep Almiron because we think he's worth more than £8.5m, then in a year's time that's £8.5m million we won't have to spend ongoing. Add that to the £12m we allegedly turned down for Trippier, that's £20m+ we've knocked back for players in their 30's in the space of 6 months.

The justification must be we think they can get us into the CL this season, which is fair enough if they do. If they don't then we'll have to account for that money next season because it ain't coming back.

There's no maybe about it. We recouped at least £50 million from Minteh, Anderson and Ashworth.

Just under £8 million for Almiron translates to under £6 million in the bank, it'd be poor business.

I do agree more generally we need to become better sellers though.

Edited by The Prophet

12 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

TBF he's been getting shit for as long as I can remember, there's only been one period where people really got behind him. 

Again, he shouldn’t be getting shit from his own fans. But I can understand the frustration. His workrate is unmatched. But his quality and output in the final third is absolutely abysmal. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

Some of the shit he gets is really uncalled for too.

Yes, the quality is lacking but we just want a club that tries - right?

Almiron grafts more than any other player in the squad arguably.

We need to be ruthless in getting players out the door..Not to the extent of Chelsea where Gallagher and Chalobah are banished to reserves/U21's.. We will never move forward otherwise.Al-Rumayyan said he wants us to be Number 1, we wont be unless we act like a big club

2 hours ago, The Butcher said:

nooooooo

Shock...I don't think any of us thought this would happen. Miggy is here for at least a couple more years

Edited by duo

39 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I feel like if Almiron is starting games this season, after supposed interest from Saudi and the MLS, then he is going to cop a lot more flak than usual.  It seems like fans have 'turned' on him to varying degrees and the fanbase have been unanimous in needing a decent right wing option for the last couple of years or more.  So he will become the focal point of people's frustrations.  

He certainly shouldn't be getting any shit.  But at the same time, I'm not really sure why we are holding onto him.  Are we really going to get that much of a better offer?  Say £12-15m for him?  He's a wideman that doesn't score or create and he's 30 now and a player that relies on pace and workrate. 

Can hear the audible groans and swearing when we fuck up yet another opportunity for a shot at goal, due to his inability to make a decision or refusing to use his right foot. 

No fan should be giving any player shit inside the ground or to them personally off the pitch. Anyone who does is a bell end of the highest order so it'd he outrageously lifting if he does get flak.

I'd like Almiron replaced and have done for a while. He brings an engine and work rate but little attacking output; he had the same number of PL goal involvements last season as Dan Burn. Jacob Murphy got 1 more assist than him last season (7) than he's managed in his 5 and half years at the club (6). His numbers before and after his purple patch suggest there is little chance that he replicates it. Great servant to the club but he needs upgrading/moving on.

He's a 30 year old who'll turn 31 this season with 2 years left on his contract. We'd do well to get north of about £10m-£12m for him imo.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

11 minutes ago, JP said:

A club that tries.  A player putting in the effort is the minimum we should expect.  He's been an amazing servant to the club but as far as our first 11 goes he is clearly the weak link and needs to be the priority to move on.  I agree he shouldnt be pilloried by his own fans but I see more people on here complaining about the hate for him than negative posts about him.

The problem he’s going to have which obviously isnt his fault, is that as soon as he does something wrong, misses a chance etc the crowd are going to be on his back. 

The fan base were so geared up for a new RW that they’ll take their frustration out on him. He’d actually be better leaving just to avoid the inevitable shit he’s going to get. 

1 minute ago, Elliottman said:

The problem he’s going to have which obviously isnt his fault, is that as soon as he does something wrong, misses a chance etc the crowd are going to be on his back. 

The fan base were so geared up for a new RW that they’ll take their frustration out on him. He’d actually be better leaving just to avoid the inevitable shit he’s going to get. 

Burn, Longstaff, Miggy. They'll all be getting hounded if things go wrong. 

"Newcastle had a verbal agreement with the MLS side, but the deal collapsed after the player and his agent demanded higher wages. In response, Charlotte lowered their offer to $9million (£7m), a figure that was deemed too low by Newcastle."

Not saying Almiron has good stats for us but yet again the criticism he gets from people is different.

Players who are liked on here have their pre-Howe stats ignored, Almiron the only one to gets bashed by it :lol:

5 minutes ago, Aiston said:

Not saying Almiron has good stats for us but yet again the criticism he gets from people is different.

Players who are liked on here have their pre-Howe stats ignored, Almiron the only one to gets bashed by it :lol:

Yep it's weird , Miggy is actually a better player than Murphy but because Murphy was absolutely shit for years , is a bit of a wind up and also a Newcastle fan he gets absolutely none of the stick that Miggy gets .

I love Miggy, as a person and as a player. However, he has deteriorated as a player, and his poor distribution, which is actually terrible shows up so much as that deterioration gets worse. 

Now that doesn't mean he isn't still a decent player, but for a team pushing for the top 6 he's not good enough. And that's doesn't mean you can't still love him, but see the limitations he now has, and what they do to the team.

Edited by Bimpy474

10 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

"Newcastle had a verbal agreement with the MLS side, but the deal collapsed after the player and his agent demanded higher wages. In response, Charlotte lowered their offer to $9million (£7m), a figure that was deemed too low by Newcastle."

Obviously he is well within his rights to do this but at the same time that is going to really piss fans off, especially if we don't get another right winger in now as a result of keeping him.

Any mention in the article of the original agreed price?

2 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Yep it's weird , Miggy is actually a better player than Murphy but because Murphy was absolutely shit for years , is a bit of a wind up and also a Newcastle fan he gets absolutely none of the stick that Miggy gets .

Is he a better player than Murphy at the moment though? I know it is only pre-season but he is consistently scoring now and at the end of last season was consistently scoring and/or assisting when given a run in the team.

I know which one I would prefer (albeit either of them as back up to a better option). 

12 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Also tried to renegotiate Steng's package that led to that deal falling through. 

I think Murphy's crossing ability, which is rather overlooked and very good imo is why he's ahead of Miggy now for the right side, but we do need an upgrade on both of the. Well one, and you keep one as the back up.

Edited by Bimpy474

42 minutes ago, JP said:

Club that tries, not team. We want a club that tries to build a winning team. Otherwise we'd still want Ritchie here.

11 minutes ago, Vaj said:

Obviously he is well within his rights to do this but at the same time that is going to really piss fans off, especially if we don't get another right winger in now as a result of keeping him.

Any mention in the article of the original agreed price?

It doesn't help that he turned down the chance to go to Saudi where he would have got that bigger signing on fee and basic salary. Yes he's within his rights to stay here and run his contract down, but it's obviously not doing us any favours as we can't get that RW while he's here.

14 minutes ago, Vaj said:

Is he a better player than Murphy at the moment though? I know it is only pre-season but he is consistently scoring now and at the end of last season was consistently scoring and/or assisting when given a run in the team.

I know which one I would prefer (albeit either of them as back up to a better option). 

They are both good enough to be a back up option and none of them good enough to be starting every week , wouldn't say is much between them at all yet only one of them gets abuse and that's for the reasons I mentioned above .

Edited by Geogaddi

1 minute ago, Geogaddi said:

They are both good enough to be a back up option and none of them good enough to be starting every week , wouldn't say is much between them at all yet only one of them gets abuse and that's for the reasons I mentioned above .

I honestly think a lot of it just just because Miggy is left footed. That's what causes him to do things that frustrate fans.

To be clear, it’s not Miggy’s responsibility to improve our squad by leaving. He’ll leave when he’s adequately compensated and transferring to a place he’s comfortable living. This is squarely on the club.

Edited by Deuce