Miguel Almirón

Deuce

6 minutes ago, Deuce said:

To be clear, it’s not Miggy’s responsibility to improve our squad by leaving. He’ll leave when he’s adequately compensated and transferring to a place he’s comfortable living. This is squarely on the club.

Yep he's well within his rights. But it's also our rights as fans to cheer him when he does well, or call him out when his poor decisions end up costing us results.

10 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

7mil for Miggy would be a joke 

Wouldn’t even be that. It be nearer £5.85m as Atlanta have a sell on clause.

7 minutes ago, TRon said:

Yep he's well within his rights. But it's also our rights as fans to cheer him when he does well, or call him out when his poor decisions end up costing us results.

I’ll call him out for what he does on the field. Not for refusing to leave against his best interests.

8 minutes ago, TRC said:

Did PIF give him a new contract or was it Ashley?

It’s been said many times now that he signed a 3 and half contract last year. So PIF

3 hours ago, johnny36 said:

If we turned down 8.5 million for Almiron then I dont want Eales or Howe to mention PSR affecting us ever again..We had a chance to move on players (Trippier in Jan) and now Almiron and refused both..Cant have it both ways

This makes literally no sense. He is worth a lot more than £8.5 million and selling off players for way under market value in no way helps us for PSR purposes.

3 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think our lack of selling is a bit overblown. We had so many people to improve on or shift out, most of which aren't very saleable. Then we also had people like Wilson who entered the form of his career just as he might've been replaced. 

Personally I don't think we've mismanaged much and our transfer dealings have been excellent.

In the specific case of Miggy, he works incredibly hard and he also had an unbelievable period of form. And there are only so many transfer windows per season and so many players you can turn over. 

Fair enough to argue that we should sell players like Miggy, Wilson and Murphy at the peak of their form... but that would probably cause as many objections as agreements. 

To say someone works incredibly hard souds like a very patronising compliment - "Gordon really creates a lot of chaces, Isak will finish those chances and get us goals, Miggy - well he really tries".

29 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

They are both good enough to be a back up option and none of them good enough to be starting every week , wouldn't say is much between them at all yet only one of them gets abuse and that's for the reasons I mentioned above .

Maybe not to the same level, but Jacob Murphy has definitely had a lot of shit off fans over the years as well. 

1 minute ago, Vaj said:

Maybe not to the same level, but Jacob Murphy has definitely had a lot of shit off fans over the years as well. 

Happy to admit I thought Jacob Murphy was absolutely useless. Now I'm planning a Juicy tattoo. 

3 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Similar to Trippier, he's worth more to us than he's worth as a transfer fee unfortunately. At some point you have to pull the trigger, but the inevitability is that you'll pay a lot more to replace what you lose. Personally think £15m isn't an unreasonable asking price.

it's only not unreasonable if somebody pays it - question is will he be worth more than £8.m in January onwards cos we're not selling him this window"

2 minutes ago, simonsays said:

Aren't sell on clauses usually a percentage of profit?

not always I don't think, I read Guehi's sell on is on the whole lot.

You would think they would have agreed or known his personal terms before they flew the whole way over..The Stengs transfer fell through too..They sound like chancers

46 minutes ago, Deuce said:

I’ll call him out for what he does on the field. Not for refusing to leave against his best interests.

That's fine, I can understand him looking after his best interests, I'm just saying it was in our interests for him to be sold for £20m to Saudi - where incidentally he would also have got that big payday which he couldn't get from his preferred USA destination. He's entitled to look after his interests, and we as Newcastle fans are entitled to want what's best for our club.

If the bid was reduced to £7M the original one (that we accepted) can’t have been much more than 10M. Surely some other clubs might be interested around that price?

Although wages might continue to prove an issue, anyone know what he’s on with that 3.5 year deal?

2 hours ago, Deuce said:

To be clear, it’s not Miggy’s responsibility to improve our squad by leaving. He’ll leave when he’s adequately compensated and transferring to a place he’s comfortable living. This is squarely on the club.

Silliness, it's his sole responsibility.

It's not Murphys fault no one wants him at all, so it has to be Almiron's fault as he's a bit more saleable etc !! :lol:

I said last summer that we should be moving Almiron and Wilson on, yet the majority were against it at the time, so no point in moaning about either of their contracts now.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but we had our highest scoring season in the top flight since 1992-93. So either you think that was accomplished despite Almiron, in which we might’ve well just played with 10, or you need to recognize that he might just have been integral to that success despite the fact he himself wasn’t racking up G/As.

Edited by Deuce

2 hours ago, LFEE said:

Wouldn’t even be that. It be nearer £5.85m as Atlanta have a sell on clause.

Then there is the remaining amortisation on his contract and you’re basically giving away a player to get rid of his wages, which leaves pretty much no room to replace him with a better player who will command a decent fee and, presumably, similar or higher wages.

32 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

I said last summer that we should be moving Almiron and Wilson on, yet the majority were against it at the time, so no point in moaning about either of their contracts now.

What? :lol: 

So a year ago.  Some people may have wanted both to stay.  A year passes, people that may have wanted them to stay previously, think they should now be moved on as the club looks to progress.  But people can't moan about it, because you said a year ago they should have been sold?

:uglystupid2:

On 13/08/2024 at 16:40, Geordie_once_removed said:

I have no issue with Miggy, in fact I really like him as a player.

I have no issue with Murphy, in fact I really like him as a player. 

I DO have an issue with our two RW options being Miggy and Murphy as for me they are just too similar and lack the quality to be a regular starters in a top 6/4 side. Either is an excellent bench/specific game plan option but I don't see keeping both as a viable option as it prevents us strengthening a key area of the team for three reasons.

1. We can't support in a squad of 25 with three places allocated to RW alone.

2. Keeping both means money is tied up in them that is needed due to PSR to buy that improved RW.

3. Keeping both and signing a new RW creates a blockage in our development pathway so promising attacking midfield/wingers from the youth teams would struggle to get any minutes as there would be 3 senior players all competing for the same (limited) minutes.

One has to go even if that is a player I like for below their market value.

Miggy and Murphy are not really players if your aspiring to be top 6-8 never mind top 4.

Both are average squad players who wouldnt really improve the first XI of any of the top 10-12, they work hard but dont have the technical ability.

If we keep these because they "work hard" we are not going to progress.

Need to say thanks for all they have done and move them both on

There’s a lot of people excessively hung up on nostalgia rather than progression, be that the playing squad or the stadium. Probably have a drawer full of Nokias they can’t bear to part with.

1 minute ago, Nucasol said:

There’s a lot of people excessively hung up on nostalgia rather than progression, be that the playing squad or the stadium. Probably have a drawer full of Nokias they can’t bear to part with.

It seems every player we’re rumoured to sell there’s dozens of pages on here arguing if he should go or stay, it’s tiresome.