The other games today 2019/20

Greg

You're either offside or not. Love it that they are so strict when the technology to be so is there.

There has to be some leeway like. You're taking away the joy of scoring when you have to hold off celebrating just in case your striker's lace came undone and was dangling offside.

Why does there have to be leeway? That just allows the sort of subjective decisions that favour big clubs and home teams.

You're either offside or not. Love it that they are so strict when the technology to be so is there.

It's trash. If you have to check it for 30-60 seconds using technology and endless replays, it's not clear enough to get VAR in to the frame. They clearly stated that any situation taken to VAR would be if the ref had make a clear mistake. He didn't here. Awful use of it. Terrible.

That took one image.

It took 2 minutes to get that image and the lines drawn though.

Is that clear an obvious? They had to zoom in at rate where the pictures were blurred and drawn thin lines in order to show it being offside.

There has to be some leeway like. You're taking away the joy of scoring when you have to hold off celebrating just in case your striker's lace came undone and was dangling offside.

Why does there have to be leeway? That just allows the sort of subjective decisions that favour big clubs and home teams.

Once again, correct. If you let the refs make that decision he allows it. Would he allow that seeing the same image if it's Mikael Antonio at the other end? He might do, but there's still going to be that element of 'should I award this against a big club when I can see it's offside?'

This makes it black & white and gives no scope for the ref to show 'big club bias' or whatever.

Once again, correct. If you let the refs make that decision he allows it. Would he allow that seeing the same image if it's Mikael Antonio at the other end? This makes it black & white and gives no scope for the ref to show 'big club bias' or whatever.

All fair. Gonna be a lot of VAR going on anyway.

When does the pass start; I’m assuming it is when a player makes initial contact with the ball, might be talking milliseconds but it could be the difference between Sterling being on or offside there. I can’t recall any debate on how it is decided when to stop the frame.

It's trash. If you have to check it for 30-60 seconds using technology and endless replays, it's not clear enough to get VAR in to the frame. They clearly stated that any situation taken to VAR would be if the ref had make a clear mistake. He didn't here. Awful use of it. Terrible.

That took one image.

Is that clear an obvious? They had to zoom in at rate where the pictures were blurred and drawn thin lines in order to show it being offside.

There’s certainly an argument to have about “clear and obvious”. Or about the laws of offside.

Here’s the thing though - he was offside.

When does the pass start; I’m assuming it is when a player makes initial contact with the ball, might be talking milliseconds but it could be the difference between Sterling being on or offside there. I can’t recall any debate on how it is decided when to stop the frame.

This is what i was saying earlier, it falls into a margin of error and that margin has to allow that goal

That took one image.

There’s certainly an argument to have about “clear and obvious”. Or about the laws of offside.

Here’s the thing though - he was offside.

I'm guessing Mike Dean has asked for a check, they've checked, and because it's offside, he has to disallow it. Again, that's more a rule problem than a VAR issue. No way should that be disallowed in the laws of the game. Use where the attacker and defenders feet are. More fairer. Shouldn't be offside because he's leaning further forward imo.

This VAR decision has really taken wind out of City's sails and spurn West Ham.

Will happen time and again, teams that score marginal offside goals need to be severely punished for breaking the laws.

To me, the rule should be based around the position of the players' feet, for a start. By leeway I mean let's not start disallowing goals based on how far forward a player is leaning, or where their arms are, or how big their hands are... If you're going to use VAR to judge offsides, it can only really be a "clear and obvious" mistake from the on-field officials if the attacker's stride is ahead of the defender's IMO.