The other games today 2019/20

Greg

Guest firetotheworks

I don't deny that Messi had one of his poorer games, but the idea that he was 'marked out of the game' is so desperate. :lol:

I don't deny that Messi had one of his poorer games, but the idea that he was 'marked out of the game' is so desperate. :lol:

But it's the truth. He's the greatest player of all time but teams are allowed to get the better of him. When he got into the final third he was pressed by two men constantly and he either made a poor pass or just lost the ball. Doubling up on him allowed Semedo to flourish but Messi was absolutely marked out of the game.

Guest firetotheworks

But it's the truth. He's the greatest player of all time but teams are allowed to get the better of him. When he got into the final third he was pressed by two men constantly and he either made a poor pass or just lost the ball. Doubling up on him allowed Semedo to flourish but Messi was absolutely marked out of the game.

:lol: Put it this way, do you think Man United's man marking on him would have had anything to do with his performance if he'd not had an off day? (an off day in which he was so well marked he still snuck an assist in)

They man-marked Messi which broadly worked, but meant that they were less able to press elsewhere. Overall my impression was that Man U played like a team who just weren't good enough to consistently exploit the opponents' weaknesses while negating their strengths. The goal meant Barca could just knock the ball around knowing that 1-0 - and probably 1-1 - were perfectly good results. Man U worked hard, but couldn't afford to maximize the press and leave Messi unattended at all. The biggest surprise for me was that Barca didn't exploit the space they got out wide going forward when players were drawn to Messi. This was most obvious in the latter stages when that guy Barca had on the right whose name escapes me was consistently getting in behind but failing to really drive forward and/or make a telling cross.

Messi has had an 'off day' at this point in the competition for a while now. Think it's 5 or 6 years he's failed to score once it reaches the QF stage.

They'll probably have too much for Man U at home, but I'd really fancy Liverpool to beat them in the semi's.

Napoli have been gash. Unlike Carlo Ancelotti to get it so wrong.

Napoli are getting absolutely murdered.

Arsenal have been sensational in this wing back system at home though.

Aye. Reckon they might regret not getting the third whilst they were so on top though.

Edit: another chance fluffed.