Mike Ashley (former owner)

Disco

?  

464 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Takeover
    • Fakeover

I was just on Man U forum RedCafe watching ManU fans worry they might lose their 6th place and saw this message.

"People should stop comparing this to Qatar's and Abdu Dhabi's takeover of PSG and City.

AFAIK Khaled Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, who's about to buy Newcastle, isn't part of the inner circle of the ruling family in Abu Dhabi, he's just a cousin of Mohammad Bin Zayed Al Nahyan (crown price of Abu Dhabi) and his brother Mansour.

In plain terms, City and PSG were bought by the governments of Abu Dhabi and Qatar, while Newcastle is close to being sold to a Dubai-based businessman who happens to be a cousin of City owners. This shouldn't make Newcastle as rich as City or PSG, but it's still great news for Newcastle and their fans."

I half hope its true.. i dont want us becoming Citeh 2.0

swear i read a daily mail piece stating he's a half brother of Mansour

I was just on Man U forum RedCafe watching ManU fans worry they might lose their 6th place and saw this message.

"People should stop comparing this to Qatar's and Abdu Dhabi's takeover of PSG and City.

AFAIK Khaled Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, who's about to buy Newcastle, isn't part of the inner circle of the ruling family in Abu Dhabi, he's just a cousin of Mohammad Bin Zayed Al Nahyan (crown price of Abu Dhabi) and his brother Mansour.

In plain terms, City and PSG were bought by the governments of Abu Dhabi and Qatar, while Newcastle is close to being sold to a Dubai-based businessman who happens to be a cousin of City owners. This shouldn't make Newcastle as rich as City or PSG, but it's still great news for Newcastle and their fans."

It’s an entirely fair assessment. We should all get drunk silly celebrating Ashley’s departure, but probably not realistic to expect a PSG-like windfall on top of that.

Which is fine. I don’t care about winning the league or even making the CL. A club that tries will suffice.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/f6aaada2-809d-11e9-bb89-165499dc1684

what was the rest of this article i didnt want to subscribe?

Rafael Benítez is understood to be seeking clarification from Newcastle United after a Middle Eastern billionaire announced he had “agreed terms” to buy the club.

Benítez, the Newcastle manager, has been involved in painstaking contract discussions with the club’s hierarchy since the final league match of the season, with his present deal expiring at the end of next month.

While those negotiations have not broken down, Benítez and his representatives have asked the club for further information about Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nahyan, a member of the Abu Dhabi royal family and a relative of Sheikh Mansour, the Manchester City owner.

The Sun reported on Sunday night that Mike Ashley has agreed to sell Newcastle to Sheikh Khaled for £350 million and that contracts had already been lodged with the Premier League. Both Newcastle and the Premier League have refused to comment, although sources on Tyneside insisted that nothing has been finalised.

Sheikh Khaled’s Bin Zayed Group released a statement confirming “discussions with Mike Ashley and his team about the proposed acquisition of Newcastle United FC. We view it as an honour to have the opportunity to build on the strong support, history and tradition of the club. We have agreed terms and are working hard to complete the transaction at the earliest opportunity”.

Ashley, the billionaire retailer who bought Newcastle for around £135 million 12 years ago, put the club up for sale for a third time in October 2017, since when there have been numerous expressions of interest.

While uncertainty has become a constant theme at St James’ Park, Benítez will not commit his future without hearing the intentions of the 61-year-old Sheikh Khaled, who has previously been linked with an attempted £2 billion takeover of Liverpool, when his group allegedly failed to provide proof of funds. There has been no contact, direct or otherwise, between Benítez and Sheikh Khaled.

Other potential buyers, including one United States-based group, have been engaged in talks with Ashley about ending his controversial tenure at the club, with the pace ramping up since Newcastle secured their position in the Premier League for next season.

Any new owners have a limited timeframe to take control of the club while the transfer window is open, but the emergence of Sheikh Khaled’s name initially brought a cynical response from sources within two rival camps. A commitment to secrecy — and no publicity — has been a pre-requisite for Ashley to speak to any group, but Newcastle did not deny the validity of the Bin Zayed Group’s statement.

Twice before, attempted takeovers have ended in disappointment for Newcastle supporters, with Peter Kenyon, the former Manchester United and Chelsea director, unable to push through a deal last winter, in spite of receiving public encouragement from Ashley. Prior to that, Amanda Staveley’s PCP Capital Partners investment company had three bids for the club turned down.

Will things be different this time? Talks with more than one party have progressed to an advanced stage, including the submission of offers and a forensic examination of the club’s accounts. After mixed messages about Ashley’s motivations in the past, there has been a general acceptance that his desire to sell is now genuine.

Benítez’s position has been central to most, if not all, previous bids. The Spaniard, who won the Champions League with Liverpool, led Newcastle back to the Premier League at the first time of asking and has then twice avoided relegation. He has also united a fanbase which has been disillusioned by Ashley’s running of the club.

Two relegations since 2007 as well as a series of contentious decisions have left Ashley, 54, deeply unpopular with a majority of fans, who routinely chant for him to leave their club. Other controversies during his reign include the temporary renaming of Newcastle’s stadium, the treatment meted out to legends such as Kevin Keegan and Alan Shearer, twice employing Joe Kinnear in positions of responsibility and a club policy that cups were not “a priority”.

Ashley and Lee Charnley, Newcastle’s managing director, have been attempting to tie down Benítez for 18 months, but trust between the two sides has been fractured over what the manager views as broken promises during previous transfer windows.

In public, Benítez has consistently reiterated his belief that Newcastle can become a top-eight club in the Premier League if they “do things right” but has often been frustrated by the slow pace of deals and the hierarchy’s reluctance to sign more experienced players, as well as by the substantial profit they made in last summer’s window. He has also pressed for structural improvements to the club’s training ground.

There is a school of thought within club circles that the delay in agreeing to Benítez’s contract demands lies, in part, at Ashley being distracted by the loss of his £150 million investment in Debenhams, the department store which fell into administration last month, as well as by takeover discussions.

Oh yeah, totally refuse to believe this is happening.

A nothing article from Caulkin.

Who are we getting for a shirt sponsor? Can't imagine them keeping Fun88.

Islam4UK

Shut it, for fuck's sake.

So what if he's Muslim? It doesn't mean that he's religious or anything.

So, effectively, you're latching onto a personal characteristic that's pretty much in his background, rather than an explicit aspect of his personality and identity.

Who even cares what he invests. The delusionally incompetent mid-table club we had towards the late Shepherd era was a perfectly reasonable thing to be supporting, and I’d take it back in a heartbeat.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Nike and Apple

Greggs, has to be Greggs

Islam4UK

Shut it, for fuck's sake.

So what if he's Muslim? It doesn't mean that he's religious or anything.

So, effectively, you're latching onto a personal characteristic that's pretty much in his background, rather than an explicit aspect of his personality and identity.

His family commit atrocities in the name of the religion, I can take the piss all I want.

Guest covmag

I echo the thoughts on a Man City mk2, not gonna happen but what we will have is an owner willing to compete with Bournemouth/Watford and Everton  , it will need building and we should only aim for that middle group as the norm, it's all I'm expecting, the top 6 look gone, at least now if this goes through we should  be willing to compete.Thats all we want.

It’s an entirely fair assessment. We should all get drunk silly celebrating Ashley’s departure, but probably not realistic to expect a PSG-like windfall on top of that.

Which is fine. I don’t care about winning the league or even making the CL. A club that tries will suffice.

:thup: