Mike Ashley (former owner)

Disco

?  

464 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Takeover
    • Fakeover

"he has a manager of NUFC who cannot be replaced without the whole club imploding in a manner not seen before in its entire history."

I'm not sure that many people believe the above. In an ideal world for sure Ashley should suffer for his dreadful ownership, but even after mismanaging the club for 12 years and been relegated twice, he's still the owner of a profitable advertising vehicle for Sports Direct. If Rafa doesnt sign the contract he's alledgedly been offered, he'll be replaced by someone else and SJP will remain pretty much sold out. If the new manager turns out to be an idiot we'll probably get relegated again, something that seems to be no more than a minor inconvenience to the fat man.

Anyone who thinks that a Benitez-less NUFC with Ashley still at the helm will be able to move on from this takeover saga as if nothing has happened is utterly deluded and kidding themselves. The club will cease to be a cash cow for Ashley and will become an iron-clad albatross around his neck as it plummets into the Championship. It doesn't matter if SJP is still packed next season and played to a zombie atmosphere for games. The slightest bad turn will expose the anger and bitterness, the media will feast on it and everything will quickly snowball into an unstoppable negative force. And with no Benitez to turn water into wine and no time to buy players for the new yes-man manager the first bad turn will happen very early in the season.

I'm guessing a lot of people aren't old enough to know what NUFC is like when there is real doom, gloom and hostility towards the powers-that-be. In short, it's not pleasant, and next season will make the 88/89 season look like a picnic in comaprison.

When NUFC are relegated next season under Ashley he will be spending all of his time, money and energy in keeping the club away from the Championship trapdoor. There will be no coming back this time.

The fanbase is a completely different one to what it was in 1988. Most of the people who turn up now aren't capable of showing the hostility the crowd of 30 years ago could.

88/89 was an utter horrorshow from the moment cottee smashed in a hat trick at Goodison. We did win at Anfield though

Next season will be worse without Rafa i can see a season like Huddersfield have just had

He’ll do enough to scrape 16th. Don’t think it’ll take much to finish above Norwich, Sheff Utd plus another.

with some fuckwit at the helm and first 10 games being horrific there's no way that will happen

To be fair you've told us throughout the last two seasons we were dead certs to go down even with Rafa at the helm

He’ll do enough to scrape 16th. Don’t think it’ll take much to finish above Norwich, Sheff Utd plus another.

with some fuckwit at the helm and first 10 games being horrific there's no way that will happen

To be fair you've told us throughout the last two seasons we were dead certs to go down even with Rafa at the helm

knee jerk reactions after horrific starts but this season if it happens without him i think ill be spot on

Rafa has tactical nous and under his tenure we've been spanked once contrast that to the amount of times we got subbed under Pardew. The same will happen with our next manager whoever the fuck it is

From a more pessemistic point of view this article says signing a Heads of Terms agreement is only really the starting point of the takeover process and the whole thing could take months to complete.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/untangling-newcastle-united-buy-out-16455754

88/89 was an utter horrorshow from the moment cottee smashed in a hat trick at Goodison. We did win at Anfield though

Next season will be worse without Rafa i can see a season like Huddersfield have just had

Agreed. It will be a turbocharged version of 88/89. Ironically, I can see Ashley trying to pull a similar stunt to that of Gordon McKeag and co back then by rolling out some signings to try make up for the loss of Rafa, just as McKeag did back then by signing John Hendrie, Dave Beasant, Andy Thorn etc to try to appease the masses for the summer sale of Paul Gascoigne. It was futile though as despite some initial optimism the bitterness of the Gazza sale soon came back to the fore when things started off badly. The exact same thing will happen with a Rafa-less NUFC.

I was there at Goodison that day too and you just knew what was coming for the rest of the season. Cottee scored after 30 seconds and the writing was on the wall immediately. I was at Anfield for the 2-1 too...and swear I had a mini-heart attack when the final whistle blew. Ironic that we won at Anfield in a thoroughly dismal season, lol.

The fanbase is a completely different one to what it was in 1988. Most of the people who turn up now aren't capable of showing the hostility the crowd of 30 years ago could.

This is a nonsense cliche that has grown over recent years. The modern-day SJP crowd is not all that different to that from the 1980s. People in the stadium are simply quietly depressed but they are still capable of getting every bit as angry at a game than any of the 80s lot. NUFC are not Chelsea FFS, it's a club comprised of people largely from an ordinary/lower working class background and most of those people are in it for the long haul, no matter what.

I was there in the late 80s and remember it all vividly. The main parts of the ground where all of the vitriol came from were the Gallowgate Corner & Scoreboard. Even the West Gallowgate was considered to be full of what would now be called "customers" but it was enough for the Corner and Scoreboard to create the anarchy that started off the snowball of negativity around the club. Most of those in the 20,000 crowds that we were getting back then used to simply shrug their shoulders at it all too but the small pocket of militancy was enough to turn it all to shit and send us into the 2nd Division.

SJP may have 50000 crowds next season but will only take 1000 of the remaining vociferous ones to start off a new spiral of doom.

The main part of the ground where all the vitriol came from in the late 1980s was the Milburn Stand (Leazes section) so you've got it wrong straight away. They made it more uncomfortable for McKeag (to the point where he couldn't go to games for his own safety) than the Gallowgate, or the young lads in the Leazes did.

This is a nonsense cliche that has grown over recent years. The modern-day SJP crowd is not all that different to that from the 1980s. People in the stadium are simply quietly depressed but they are still capable of getting every bit as angry at a game than any of the 80s lot. NUFC are not Chelsea FFS, it's a club comprised of people largely from an ordinary/lower working class background and most of those people are in it for the long haul, no matter what.

I was there in the late 80s and remember it all vividly. The main parts of the ground where all of the vitriol came from were the Gallowgate Corner & Scoreboard. Even the West Gallowgate was considered to be full of what would now be called "customers" but it was enough for the Corner and Scoreboard to create the anarchy that started off the snowball of negativity around the club. Most of those in the 20,000 crowds that we were getting back then used to simply shrug their shoulders at it all too but the small pocket of militancy was enough to turn it all to shit and send us into the 2nd Division.

SJP may have 50000 crowds next season but will only take 1000 of the remaining vociferous ones to start off a new spiral of doom.

The main part of the ground where all the vitriol came from in the late 1980s was the Milburn Stand (Leazes section) so you've got it wrong straight away. They made it more uncomfortable for McKeag (to the point where he couldn't go to games for his own safety) than the Gallowgate, or the young lads in the Leazes did.

I never said that the Gallowgate Corner/Scoreboard were the only places that had militant elements. Yes, I remember the Milburn Stand Leazes wing very well and they did make a racket too, but the main dissidence came from the Gallowgate.

That's probably the only difference in the SJP crowd now...you wouldn't get that kind of intimidation from the Milburn Stand. You can thank Freddie Fletcher for that though with the disgraceful bond scheme that ended up in most of those lads being chucked out of their seats in the Milburn.

Agreed. It will be a turbocharged version of 88/89. Ironically, I can see Ashley trying to pull a similar stunt to that of Gordon McKeag and co back then by rolling out some signings to try make up for the loss of Rafa, just as McKeag did back then by signing John Hendrie, Dave Beasant, Andy Thorn etc to try to appease the masses for the summer sale of Paul Gascoigne. It was futile though as despite some initial optimism the bitterness of the Gazza sale soon came back to the fore when things started off badly. The exact same thing will happen with a Rafa-less NUFC.

I was there at Goodison that day too and you just knew what was coming for the rest of the season. Cottee scored after 30 seconds and the writing was on the wall immediately. I was at Anfield for the 2-1 too...and swear I had a mini-heart attack when the final whistle blew. Ironic that we won at Anfield in a thoroughly dismal season, lol.

One of the worst seasons I can remember.

Has there been owt said today?

Tried my best to avoid the internet whilst at work and can see the thread has grown 9 pages since I last checked.

Of course there hasn’t.

I never said that the Gallowgate Corner/Scoreboard were the only places that had militant elements. Yes, I remember the Milburn Stand Leazes wing very well and they did make a racket too, but the main dissidence came from the Gallowgate.

That's probably the only difference in the SJP crowd now...you wouldn't get that kind of intimidation from the Milburn Stand. You can thank Freddie Fletcher for that though with the disgraceful bond scheme that ended up in most of those lads being chucked out of their seats in the Milburn.

You said the main parts of the ground where the vitriol came from was the Gallowgate Corner and Scoreboard. I'm simply saying that wasn't the case. The Milburn stand leazes section were far more vocal (and effective due to their proximity) in their chants against McKeag than the Gallowgate. Today's crowd have sat and suffered Ashley in silence for years now. If you are suddenly expecting them to explode in a fit of rage next season I think you might end up disappointed.

Tried my best to avoid the internet whilst at work and can see the thread has grown 9 pages since I last checked.

Of course there hasn’t.

Sick of this club now like.

Guest chopey

Dennis Wise with the Wobbly eyes, sprung a surprise and ate french fries out of Mikes trouser flies.