Mike Ashley (former owner)

Disco

?  

464 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Takeover
    • Fakeover

What's the crack about staveley having one of these then? Hows this one different?

As someone said the Staveley one was about something else and I think someone a page or two back said the company is turning a profit

As a lawyer in this area:

- It's impossible for that company to be fake. It is possible for it to be fraudulently incorporated but you'd need a lot of personal information about the two directors, and would need to fraudulently impersonate Pinsent Masons, the law firm that has submitted the documents. The company is using PM's own, bespoke articles rather than the model articles, so any fraudster would need to have somehow obtained these as well. In short, it's real.

- The two directors are not directors of any other UK company, so whatever they are involved with is something new to them and not run of the mill.

- Companies established to acquire assets are often done so one or two days before completion of a deal. In other cases, they are established to ensure they have secured the name they want and then left on file for months while the deal is completed.

- It is common for businesses to have more than one law firm acting for them in the M&A sphere, often on different deals. I know that MA has used different law firms in the past. It could well be that Pinsent Masons are acting as UK counsel for the buyer, not the seller. They would need UK lawyers themselves regardless.

Brilliant. Cheers for this.

Ashley has been using Dentons so you’re no doubt right about these being the buyers lawyers

Another one from GeordieDentist

Take the mobile bit out mate

Cheers TM, bit of a Luddite when it comes to this stuff :thup:

Not far behind you, I just remember Dave ranting about it once. :lol:

:lol: I miss Dave.

He could be back again soon by the look of things

What's the crack about staveley having one of these then? Hows this one different?

As someone said the Staveley one was about something else and I think someone a page or two back said the company is turning a profit

Aye sorry missed that bit in the excitement

Guest godzilla

- It's impossible for that company to be fake. It is possible for it to be fraudulently incorporated but you'd need a lot of personal information about the two directors, and would need to fraudulently impersonate Pinsent Masons, the law firm that has submitted the documents. The company is using PM's own, bespoke articles rather than the model articles, so any fraudster would need to have somehow obtained these as well. In short, it's real.

- The two directors are not directors of any other UK company, so whatever they are involved with is something new to them and not run of the mill.

- Companies established to acquire assets are often done so one or two days before completion of a deal. In other cases, they are established to ensure they have secured the name they want and then left on file for months while the deal is completed.

- It is common for businesses to have more than one law firm acting for them in the M&A sphere, often on different deals. I know that MA has used different law firms in the past. It could well be that Pinsent Masons are acting as UK counsel for the buyer, not the seller. They would need UK lawyers themselves regardless.

O0

The chronicle/Douglas

Holding company apparently set up - what does it mean?

So a new company has been set up at Companies House with two registered directors: the Sheikh linked with a Newcastle takeover and Mihat Kidwai, Bin Zayed Group MD - whose name was attached to the statements sent out last week.

It is called Monochrome Acquisitions Ltd - which is a clear play on black and white, the colours of Newcastle United. It is set up with the registered address of Pinsent Masons, the London law firm that has previously worked with Newcastle and they have drawn up the documents on behalf of the Sheikh and Kidwai it appears (we are checking the veracity of this).

If it is genuine - and again, we’ve got calls on - it would mean a holding company has been set up to acquire the shares of Newcastle United, which is significant in itself but doesn’t mean the deal is necessarily imminent. It means that things are being set up to do the deal - which adds meat to the bones of the statements we got last week.

FWIW, when I checked yesterday various sources said no major developments. Bin Zayed said last week they were “closing in” on Newcastle....

Ashley has been using Dentons so you’re no doubt right about these being the buyers lawyers

You would definitely expect the buyer, not the seller, to set up the bidding company, so it would point more towards Pinsents acting for the buyer, yes. I am not sure where all the twitter chatter is coming from regarding Pinsents acting for Ashley tbh - I'd always thought he used two other firms.

One thing to stress - we have often set up companies (only costs £90) purely to hold on to a name for our client. This suggests that something is definitely happening, and could happen imminently, but shouldn't be a guarantee that any deal is going to be completed.

You would definitely expect the buyer, not the seller, to set up the bidding company, so it would point more towards Pinsents acting for the buyer, yes.

One thing to stress - we have often set up companies (only costs £90) purely to hold on to a name for our client. This suggests that something is definitely happening, and could happen imminently, but shouldn't be a guarantee that any deal is going to be completed.

Great clarity, cheers mate.

Guest godzilla

The chronicle/Douglas

Holding company apparently set up - what does it mean?

So a new company has been set up at Companies House with two registered directors: the Sheikh linked with a Newcastle takeover and Mihat Kidwai, Bin Zayed Group MD - whose name was attached to the statements sent out last week.

It is called Monochrome Acquisitions Ltd - which is a clear play on black and white, the colours of Newcastle United. It is set up with the registered address of Pinsent Masons, the London law firm that has previously worked with Newcastle and they have drawn up the documents on behalf of the Sheikh and Kidwai it appears (we are checking the veracity of this).

If it is genuine - and again, we’ve got calls on - it would mean a holding company has been set up to acquire the shares of Newcastle United, which is significant in itself but doesn’t mean the deal is necessarily imminent. It means that things are being set up to do the deal - which adds meat to the bones of the statements we got last week.

FWIW, when I checked yesterday various sources said no major developments. Bin Zayed said last week they were “closing in” on Newcastle....

Mark Douglas right now  :facepalm:

Totally agree.

In any event, I thought Ashley was using Dentons as his lawyers, so Pinsents will probably be acting for the buyer - I think they do this type of transaction anyway (mid market type work with a sports angle sometimes).