Mike Ashley (former owner)

Disco

?  

464 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Takeover
    • Fakeover

is that the same ones that follow the trawler with the seagulls?

Not sure, the guy also said "Yes the Mariana Trench is deep, but pockets can be deeper"

IF it goes through, the new manager will have no time to get players in, plan, organise...then panic buy in January. another season written off

The new manager will not last till January. We can lose 10-15 games in a row. I ain’t kidding.

I am actually happy to see things going on as it is now, because relegation is a step closer to takeover, whoever the new owner is.

I still don't see this going through purely because I still don't see Ashley simply taking his money and walking off into the sunset. He's still got Rangers by the bollocks even though he never actually owned them and I'm as certain as can be that he'll still be wanting his pound of flesh by way of taking a huge cut of future merchandising sales, and clauses inserted so his advertising can remain prominent and that's just something I can't see any potential buyer agreeing to.

I think ideally he'd rather sell to Peter Kenyon. Someone who can't afford the club outright but can basically hire it off him so to speak by paying in installments meaning Ashley can still call the shots and take his money out. Not too dissimilar to how the new mackem owners bought them off Short.

Normally yes, but this time it’s different. He simply doesn’t have time to wait for Kenyon or similar to entertain his requirements.

I think it’s pretty clear that he has financial troubles that he couldn’t invest any extra money into the club shortly to survive this season. Any new manager (if there is one) probably just have the 30m from Perez to spend (or even less, as I remember it should be instalments). We are not close to doomed. We are already.

is that the same ones that follow the trawler with the seagulls?

Not sure, the guy also said "Yes the Mariana Trench is deep, but pockets can be deeper"

intriguing....but did he also give a knowing wink (no idea what one looks like) and tapped the side of his nose?

We've been relegated twice now and neither have led to sales of the club, there's nothing to suggest this would be any different.

Ashley has an over inflated value of the club and relegation would make it even harder to sell as he'd likely not knock much more off his asking price. Who is going to pay upwards of £200m for a club in the Championship?

Guest covmag

I see talk of the new manager.....we ain’t fucking got one.

I see talk of a takeover.......we aren’t getting one by the looks of it.

I see talk of transfers.....not possible without above.

We have players leaving and left with a pile of shite , we are off to China at the weekend ffs, the club is a fucking embarrassment and I know we have said it before but why would this bastard let it happen unless he wants to mothball us which he could in truth do. The first 10 games could yield very little and I fully expect “them” ( not us) to be bottom at Xmas .

We've been relegated twice now and neither have led to sales of the club, there's nothing to suggest this would be any different.

Ashley has an over inflated value of the club and relegation would make it even harder to sell as he'd likely not knock much more off his asking price. Who is going to pay upwards of £200m for a club in the Championship?

Because both relegations were followed by immediate promotions. You genuinely think we could do it again?

The reason why most clubs gone bankrupt after relegation is not the loss due to relegation. It’s the cost of maintaining a team that is able to challenge for promotion. It could be as high as 60-70m loss per year. Yea no one would probably pay him 200m but then what choice does he have? Either accept a lower offer, or continue to take the huge loss per year gamble?

And once he gave up the gamble, we will never promote to EPL again, and then what’s the point of owning Newcastle? Look at Whelam and Wigan.

Even if a takeover happened late with no time to strengthen and we got relegated, I'd still love the season more than almost any under Ashley.  At least I could support the club again, go to games ect.  Right now my plan is to ignore everything to do with the club (except potential takeovers) while that piece of shit is still in charge.

Because both relegations were followed by immediate promotions. You genuinely think we could do it again?

No, not a chance. But Ashley probably does, that's the issue.

Until we actually finished 10th in the Championship, he'd still think all is fine and we'd bounce right back. He's certainly not going to be shitting himself over that near-certain future now, before a ball is kicked in the PL in which we've finished mid-table for the last 2 seasons.

Why have the club just spammed. Newsno w at 9.24am crap posts from the official site list of videos etc. Is this to prove they are communicating or something... Very very bizarre imo 22 consecutive posts🙄

Until we actually finished 10th in the Championship, he'd still think all is fine and we'd bounce right back. He's certainly not going to be shitting himself over that near-certain future now, before a ball is kicked in the PL in which we've finished mid-table for the last 2 seasons.

Yep, that’s what I think as well, so it’s a win win to me. Either the fat cunt sell us now or one year after relegation.

The only scenario that he won’t sell us is he has funds to invest now and prevent relegation. We are lucky that he is in trouble now and couldn’t do so. He doesn’t have time anyway.

That’s why back to my original argument, I believe the statement is true that the stumbling block is not the fat cunt. Someone is blocking his last lifeline. It’s fine if that’s not the case to me anyway. No takeover, relegation, no promotion, takeover. I would also take this.

Douglas still says the Premier League have heard nothing, it's not happening man.

They've declined to comment, so how does he know?

Thought that myself...didn't they say something like 'ask the club' a while back? :lol:

Still not sure it is with them myself. The news yesterday made it sound like it was, but I just can't get round the idea that it's just in fattys hands and that's where it'll stay until we're told it's off. 

This is where I’m at too. As far as I’m aware, the selling club has to submit the owners and directors test to the PL. It’s quite possible BZG have done their bit and submitted it to Ashley but Ashley hasn’t sent it to PL yet. For whatever reason. Maybe because he still wants other bids, maybe he doesn’t actually want to sell, maybe he just wants to fuck about with us a bit longer for the laughs.

Guest chopey

I had a bit of a go at Douglas on twitter this morning about the press not hounding Charnley more and TBF he did reply and try and explain the he just basically ignores his calls but someone needs to investigate the running of Newcastle United and particularly where the money has gone.

I had a bit of a go at Douglas on twitter this morning about the press not hounding Charnley more and TBF he did reply and try and explain the he just basically ignores his calls but someone needs to investigate the running of Newcastle United and particularly where the money has gone.

Absolutely.

Even if a takeover happened late with no time to strengthen and we got relegated, I'd still love the season more than almost any under Ashley.  At least I could support the club again, go to games ect.  Right now my plan is to ignore everything to do with the club (except potential takeovers) while that piece of shit is still in charge.

This season is not important.

Getting rid of Ashley is important!

Yep, that’s what I think as well, so it’s a win win to me. Either the fat cunt sell us now or one year after relegation.

The only scenario that he won’t sell us is he has funds to invest now and prevent relegation. We are lucky that he is in trouble now and couldn’t do so. He doesn’t have time anyway.

That’s why back to my original argument, I believe the statement is true that the stumbling block is not the fat cunt. Someone is blocking his last lifeline. It’s fine if that’s not the case to me anyway. No takeover, relegation, no promotion, takeover. I would also take this.

Oh, I'll take any "out" at this stage. Ashley's removal is everything, and there's no set of circumstances regarding the club which I'd not accept in order to see it happen. Everything can be rebuilt given time.

We've had 12 years of ambitionless purgatory and we'll at least have another 12 years of the same if we don't do something. Owning this club has to become toxic to him, a millstone around his neck in terms of the finances, his brand and his own happiness.

Absolutely.

Should more pressure not be placed on the FA/Premier League in this respect? Are they totally oblivious as to how NUFC are being run?

I'm with you on that.

This is why I don't get the whole 'we're running out of time' carry on.  Obviously the quicker the better but as far as I'm concerned if they arrive on the first day of the season with a thread bare squad and no manager, we'd still be in a better position than we are now if it means he's gone.  The outcome of the coming season means nowt at this point.

Absolutely.

I find this baffling.

I work for a newspaper myself and I cover football, and I do a fair bit of investigative reporting. I would understand the hesitancy to publish something investigative (i.e. damaging for the club or individuals associated with it) if it wasn’t well sourced, hastily put together and subsequently could mean no access to anything within the club.

But none of that should be an issue.

1. It’s been 12 years. There’s plenty of time for a journalist to investigate Ashley and his running of NUFC, build relationships, dig for documentation or get ahold of material. With time on your hands, you should be able to build a comprehensive case that portrays and illustrates how he’s enriched himself and his companies on NUFC’s behalf.

2. There’s no access anyway. I’ve worked in England and covered Premier League. The way it’s regulated is a piss take, players are protected, managers and others speak on their own terms. The same when I’ve been around the England team, it’s set up in a way that doesn’t exactly encourage critical reporting. When someone talks, it’s most often not through the club anyway. In other words, I can’t see the logic in withholding a relationship with the club (especially not Newcastle). Press conference quotes? Match reports? Quotes from Jamal Lascelles and Paul Dummett saying they’re excited for the League Cup tie with Luton? Nick them off others.

3. The lack of critical and investigative reporting on football in general, Newcastle United in particular, presents a golden opportunity brand-wise. From a reader’s perspective (fans) it’s hugely appreciated when irregularities are discovered and presented. There’s so much to gain from it, and it serves one of the core purposes of journalism. Put money and time into it and you’ll be rewarded long term.

However, I don’t think this sort of criticism should be aimed at reporters. It’s a strategic question, most probably dealt with by editors and others higher up the hierarchy.

Still, with NUFC being such an obvious case, it’s unbelievable that no investigative reporter from another desk, at another newspaper than The Chronicle, has had a real go.