Mike Ashley (former owner)

Disco

?  

464 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Takeover
    • Fakeover

That’s as obvious as it possibly could get that he’s shitting himself. He couldn’t have tried to fake being calm and cool about things in a worse manner. The nature of the phrases he used was absolute textbook and non committal, he’s flapping like fuck.

They can't make him sell the club. Best they could do would be to refuse us a license to play in the PL.

Did they make that Shinawatra sell man city? Cant remember

It's fairly obvious unless you believe that PL rules trump the law.

They can't make him sell the club. Best they could do would be to refuse us a license to play in the PL.

:lol:

What's Trump got to do with it?

He does not sound anything like I remember him sounding and I hope that's down to impending bankruptcy/gangrene of the dick/stress/etc.

Sounds no different

Think that was more due to being found guilty of corruption and going into hiding from his own country rather than his business owing loads of taxes. He will wiggle out of it some how but having a Stella right now which is a the best Belgium beer to make sure their economy is funded to carry on gunning for Sports Direct.

Who cares? Everything he says is bollocks

This, i couldn't think of anything worse on a Friday night than reading that.

When the cunt is silent for long. Hearing a load of his bullshit is music to my ears

Righto - and warning this is pretty boring tbh so only read on if you have insomnia,

So this all centres on online sales made to customers in Belgium, basically in every EU country there is a threshold of annual sales (Belgium is €35,000) after which you have to register for VAT in that country and pay local VAT at their rates - you don't pay it to HMRC as well.

Back in 2017 HMRC lost a case where they wanted all SD sales to be under UK VAT and outside of the above rule, from this point a Belgian bill was always going to come (I'd actually wager that SD sell sufficient values to have this situation in every EU country) and they really should have been accounting for it (hence my earlier comment that they've known about this for 2 years).

Certainly up to 2017 all VAT would have been paid to HMRC an this will be reclaimable. Hopefully (for the innocent shareholders) they have continued to pay VAT on Belgian sales to HMRC after this point and if so then is also fully recoverable. The problem they have though is that VAT in Belgium is 21% and they can go back to the point at which it should have been payable - 1% on all sales to Belgium over say 10 years is a lot of VAT to pay. The authorities can also levy fines and interest on the full amount that should have been paid, not just the difference in VAT rates. My gut feeling is that SD have not disclosed the bill to Belgium, and it has been the Belgian authorities who have made the first move.

If so, and with SD being a plc with massive EU sales, the fines will be significant - in Italy it could be up to 500% of the liability in fines and interest on top.

I've lived this for 2 years after joining an online retailer with a total turnover of £20m, unwinding a bill of £2m - 30% of this being fines and interest after we made the disclosure and it being a genuine oversight of a company with no accounting function prior to me joining.

Boring bit over.

Ashley can't be found personally liable for any of this so talk of tax evasion etc is fanciful. He does however have responsibilities as a director to make good decisions and this along with the HoF debacle could lead to him losing his position in SD.

Impact on NUFC? HMRC will have looked into our transactions after finding irregularities in SD and it wouldn't surprise me if this was what started the whole transfer investigation. I think apart from this investigation there interest in us is done.

Will it lead to him taking more cash out of NUFC? Unlikely as you would actually want to keep yourself and SD as low on cash as possible until it is resolved so you can plead poverty and an inability to pay. It could actually make him more likely to go on a spending spree.

Could there be more? Potentially - all 27 EU countries will be looking at this unless SD are paying VAT there already. If Italy get involved it would dwarf this. The way its been handled today may lead to the shareprice absolutely tanking on Monday. I don't think SD will be in the FTSE100 for long if it does. They won't pay €600m, with the HMRC reclaim it will be €200-€300m max imo. It will be a pain in the ass for the finance team anyway.

What we should all hope is that this is just the tip of the iceberg on how they account for things and a new auditor rips apart the acquisitions they have made. on its own its a technical correction to make, but if there is anything else dodgy going on it will now be found and if serious fraud charges may follow on the directors with prison being a possibility as well as a ban on being a director for any UK company for a while and failing the F&P test.

Takeover impact? I can see him having enough of public life and retiring to the Bahamas so it could make him a more receptive seller

TLDR - on its own its an irritation to him but it may be the thread that when pulled makes the whole thing collapse