Boycoutt Newcastle United Football Club

Paully

It was alot emptied than people are saying imo. 41k I reckon. Which by standards of usual that is quite a gap

Was it hell...my mate sent me loads of photos during the game. East Stand and Gallowgate were basically completely full. Leaves had that large pocket of about 1000 empty seats. Milburn Stand was full apart from the usual empty seats at the top of the platinum club. Level 7 looked basically full apart from pockets missing in the corner.

:lol: bless, you’re in seventh heaven.

No I’m not. I stayed away, just like everyone wants everyone to. But as predicted, staying away is a waste of fucking time. Honestly, it really is. There’s no desire at all for it on a large scale, and definitely not sustained. Today was the one opportunity people had to send a message and they didn’t. Because they wanted to go and support the team. That’s just not ever going to change while we’re in the premier league.

I’ve said it a million times (but of course get labelled a WUM because my opinion varies to whatever is popular on here), but the only way Ashley will sell NUFC is if it becomes an inconvenience to him. Target the crap out of his businesses. Stop them from tweeting, Facebooking, sour their name even further. Picket the shops weekly. Ashley is under pressure from his shareholders, particularly at the moment. If they show concern that his running of NUFC is negatively affecting Sport Direct, he’ll be a lot more inclined to get out.

It was alot emptied than people are saying imo. 41k I reckon. Which by standards of usual that is quite a gap

Was it hell...my mate sent me loads of photos during the game. East Stand and Gallowgate were basically completely full. Leaves had that large pocket of about 1000 empty seats. Milburn Stand was full apart from the usual empty seats at the top of the platinum club. Level 7 looked basically full apart from pockets missing in the corner.

No I’m not. I stayed away, just like everyone wants everyone to. But as predicted, staying away is a waste of fucking time. Honestly, it really is. There’s no desire at all for it on a large scale, and definitely not sustained. Today was the one opportunity people had to send a message and they didn’t. Because they wanted to go and support the team. That’s just not ever going to change while we’re in the premier league.

I’ve said it a million times (but of course get labelled a WUM because my opinion varies to whatever is popular on here), but the only way Ashley will sell NUFC is if it becomes an inconvenience to him. Target the crap out of his businesses. Stop them from tweeting, Facebooking, sour their name even further. Picket the shops weekly. Ashley is under pressure from his shareholders, particularly at the moment. If they show concern that his running of NUFC is negatively affecting Sport Direct, he’ll be a lot more inclined to get out.

Why didn't they bother then?

Why didn't they bother then?

Didn’t they? Sounded pretty loud first half. Flat, like the team, second.

Football is a lot more popular than it was in the 80s and it is attracted to a wider more varied audience. In the 80s it was mainly a sport attended by young men. Now its families, women kids etc. The more militant types then probably wouldn't be Welcome thesedays. It's ok sitting on the internet slagging fuck out of everyone but it's not going to change fuck all. Stop worrying about what other people do. They arent killing the club by going to the game. Mike Ashley is killing it stone dead and there is nowt anyone can do about it

Isn't it up to them to raise the flat team? If not, why are they there? I thought that was their sole reason for going, all I've heard all week - "the players need us against Arsenal". Need you to what, fucking sit in silence and boo them off? Far more support for the regime (financial) than the team (noise) in that place today.

Re: getting rid of Ashley, if the club was in the Championship for a prolonged period and gates were ~20k, and the club was losing money day after day (it has lost money in the Championship even with 45k gates remember), would that not count as an inconvenience?

Isn't it up to them to raise the flat team? If not, why are they there? I thought that was their sole reason for going. Fucking sat in silence and booed them off. Far more support for the regime (financial) than the team (noise) in that place today. Some of them remembered to boo at the end though so it wasn't all quiet. :thup:

Re: getting rid of Ashley, if the club was in the Championship for a prolonged period and gates were ~20k, and the club was losing money day after day (it has lost money in the Championshop even with 45k gates remember), would that not count as an inconvenience?

There was no booing man. Where the hell did you hear that? There was the usual mooted applause, slight grumble, like you’d get at any narrow defeat.

I agree with you about the lack of volume from our fans in terms of raising them...but isn’t that a problem with pretty much every PL club. I’ve been to plenty of away games where the away fans are the only ones to be heard. I think you’re describing a culture of “entertain me”, rather than it specifically being a problem with our fans.

The atmosphere today sounded shit

The atmosphere last season was 99% shit

Its modern day football and it's a club that's stuck in a depression.

So let's all do nowt and carry on funding it!

The atmosphere today sounded shit

The atmosphere last season was 99% shit

Its modern day football and it's a club that's stuck in a depression.

So let's all do nowt and carry on funding it!

Not for me no thanks

I cant do fuck all to change it though. As much as I'd like to think I can.

Dare I say it, even if we had been taken over the atmosphere still would have been shit half the time

That's just the way I look at football as a whole thesedays . Just need to look at man city's support tbh

Isn't it up to them to raise the flat team? If not, why are they there? I thought that was their sole reason for going. Fucking sat in silence and booed them off. Far more support for the regime (financial) than the team (noise) in that place today. Some of them remembered to boo at the end though so it wasn't all quiet. :thup:

Re: getting rid of Ashley, if the club was in the Championship for a prolonged period and gates were ~20k, and the club was losing money day after day (it has lost money in the Championshop even with 45k gates remember), would that not count as an inconvenience?

There was no booing man. Where the hell did you hear that? There was the usual mooted applause, slight grumble, like you’d get at any narrow defeat.

I agree with you about the lack of volume from our fans in terms of raising them...but isn’t that a problem with pretty much every PL club. I’ve been to plenty of away games where the away fans are the only ones to be heard. I think you’re describing a culture of “entertain me”, rather than it specifically being a problem with our fans.

I'm not, I'm just asking in relation to our fans, many of claim they are going almost out of some sort of self sacrifice, "I need to be there to support the players!"

No you want to go and watch the match, don't pretend otherwise. It's all me me me, I don't want to give up MY day out. Again, that's fine but don't lie about it. The players in reality couldn't give much of a shit whether you're there or not. Mike Ashley is the owner and Steve Bruce is the manager, I think they've got bigger problems than whether or not Alf from Westerhope goes and grumbles to himself.

I'm not, I'm just asking in relation to our fans, many of claim they are going almost out of some sort of self sacrifice, "I need to be there to support the players!"

No you want to go and watch the match, don't pretend otherwise. It's all me me me, I don't want to give up MY day out. Again, that's fine but don't lie about it. The players in reality couldn't give much of a shit whether you're there or not. Mike Ashley is the owner and Steve Bruce is the manager, I think they've got bigger problems than whether or not Alf from Westerhope goes and grumbles to himself.

Oh yeah...I agree with that then.

I don’t think I’ve ever really hid the reasons I go to the match. I enjoy it, win or lose. I still get that same buzz I got when I was 8 going to my first game when I walk out and see the pitch. The hairs on the back of my neck still stand up when local hero plays. I still go crazy and hug the person next to me when we score. It’s a massive part of my upbringing, and I want to take my son and daughter moving forward to share the same experiences my dad shared with me. Sure, I guess that’s selfish in your eyes. And I’m fine with that. I would argue that it’s selfish of you to tell me I shouldn’t be doing it, especially when 95% of the stadium have absolutely no intention of walking away.

As I’ve said so many times on here before, life is too short and too important to miss potentially cherished memories just because I’m angry at how the club I love is run. I maintain that the only way Ashley will ever leave is on his own terms or if he’s pressured into it from the shareholders of Sports Direct. 5k, 10k, 15k empty seats every now and again...he simply won’t give a shit.

Anyway, I feel like a broken record. I guess one of the saddest things about all this is that people feel the need to justify their decisions online to other fans. At the end of the day, do what you see fit. There’s no right answer, just opinions.

I don’t think I’ve ever really hid the reasons I go to the match. I enjoy it, win or lose. I still get that same buzz I got when I was 8 going to my first game when I walk out and see the pitch. The hairs on the back of my neck still stand up when local hero plays. I still go crazy and hug the person next to me when we score. It’s a massive part of my upbringing, and I want to take my son and daughter moving forward to share the same experiences my dad shared with me. Sure, I guess that’s selfish in your eyes. And I’m fine with that. I would argue that it’s selfish of you to tell me I shouldn’t be doing it, especially when 95% of the stadium have absolutely no intention of walking away.

As I’ve said so many times on here before, life is too short and too important to miss potentially cherished memories just because I’m angry at how the club I love is run. I maintain that the only way Ashley will ever leave is on his own terms or if he’s pressured into it from the shareholders of Sports Direct. 5k, 10k, 15k empty seats every now and again...he simply won’t give a shit.

Anyway, I feel like a broken record. I guess one of the saddest things about all this is that people feel the need to justify their decisions online to other fans. At the end of the day, do what you see fit. There’s no right answer, just opinions.

You didn't answer me earlier, do you not think he might think "is this worth it?" if we were in the Championship and the gates were 20k and the club was haemorrhaging money?

I think more than 5% of the stadium have already gone btw, they've just had their seats filled by many people who don't give as much of a shit imo.

You didn't answer me earlier, do you not think he might think "is this worth it?" if we were in the Championship and the gates were 20k and the club was haemorrhaging money?

I think more than 5% of the stadium have already gone btw, they've just had their seats filled by many people who don't give as much of a shit imo.

Yeah, perhaps if we were in the Championship for several seasons and the gates were low for a prolonged time. But like it or not the attendances won’t drop significantly for as long as we’re in the PL. That’s all that matters to most fans...to go and watch some top tier football on a weekend.

Yeah, perhaps if we were in the Championship for several seasons and the gates were low for a prolonged time. But like it or not the attendances won’t drop significantly for as long as we’re in the PL. That’s all that matters to most fans...to go and watch some top tier football on a weekend.

I agree. The division we're in is more important to many in that stadium than the club, which makes the superfan stuff so totally laughable.

I don't mean this a dig at you (I really enjoy our discussions on this actually) but I've said this before, it's sometimes like people who still go the game think it's been easy for us to walk away, that we didn't really enjoy it in the first place, not like they did, the true fans. Let me tell you, fans far more devoted than you have walked away, look at Keith Barrett, organised travel to every Newcastle game across the continent for decades, now in exile, and I see others on his Facebook commenting the same. All those things you said you loved about going to the match, do you not think the rest of us used to feel like that? That feeling has been completely taken away from us by Mike Ashley. We miss it and we're desperate to get it back. But it won't ever come back while people fill his pockets and give him no reason to go away and leave us alone. A full stadium is a ringing endorsement that he's keeping people happy. That is why we get so frustrated with those doing everything they can to keep him here.

I don't mean this a dig at you (I really enjoy our discussions on this actually) but I've said this before, it's sometimes like people who still go the game think it's been easy for us to walk away, that we didn't really enjoy it in the first place, not like they did, the true fans. Let me tell you, fans far more devoted than you have walked away, look at Keith Barrett, organised travel to every Newcastle game across the continent for decades, now in exile, and I see others on his Facebook commenting the same. All those things you said you loved about going to the match, do you not think the rest of us used to feel like that? That feeling has been completely taken away from us by Mike Ashley. We miss it and we're desperate to get it back. But it won't ever come back while people fill his pockets and give him no reason to go away and leave us alone. A full stadium is a ringing endorsement that he's keeping people happy. That is why we get so frustrated with those doing everything they can to keep him here.

Well said.

Well said.

Fucking fantastic mate. Nail on head.

I completely understand all of that man. And sympathise.

But I guess it’s all personal. I keep using the expression, but I’ve been reminded recently of just how short and unknown life is, so for me something which is “relatively” trivial in the grand scheme of things (ie the way a football club is run) is not worth treating quite so drastically as some people on here do. I admire people who have given up everything for the cause...I just think they’re going about it the wrong way. I genuinely don’t think it’ll work. I genuinely think they’re wasting their time, in the current climate, and they may as well just go if they want to.

As you know...I’ve been involved in protests in the past...particularly in the promotion of them. The only time I ever felt we were making progress was when we stopped Sports Direct tweeting, which led to a clear PR push from Ashley.