Steve Brute

LoveItIfWeBeatU

My prediction of how things will go - we'll lose the next 5 and then you'll think he'll be sacked to give a new manager (God only knows who would take the job) the two week break to prepare and get something out of the Villa game.

Only he won't actually be sacked. Not yet.

They'll give Bruce the Villa game as one last chance to turn things around, we'll lose that too and then he'll be sacked only for the new manager to walk into a game against Man City, destroying any sense of a new manager bounce.

I think this is going to be one of two scenarios:

1) McClaren Mk II, where we keep him all the way until the last 10 games of the season, once again not learning any lessons.

2) Ashley + Charnley have convinced themselves they're footballing geniuses and we keep him even after he takes us down, hoping we'll bounce straight back up again, totally ignoring Bruce's record in the Championship. And, of course, we won't come back straight up.

Ashley doesn't even pretend to know about football. I would imagine it was Charnley who decided Bruce was the man we should target. He hasn't got a clue either, but he's been given the job and probably figured it was a safe bet using Ryder/Edwards critical analysis skills.

He appointed knowing that:

A) The Press would give him an easy ride.

B) The matchgoers would give him an easy ride.

He was an excellent manager at Swansea.

Certainly shouldn't dismiss it as him inheriting a good team

I said 'I think he took over a good team', I don't really pretend to have that much knowledge about his methods to dismiss his efforts, it may well be he's a really good manager. The point that ON made about him doing a lot better than Puel is a fair one, but it's still early days.

I’m sure there’s coaches on the continent in the Farke/Hassnhuttl ilk that would have came even under Ashley. Problem is they’d not have been on Charnley’s radar. They might be next time if they’re quick about Bruce.

Ah man, :lol: we actually had Rafa Benitez.

I remember sometimes too Mike, the time before ‘the unpleasantness’.

And after it I suppose.

:lol: Honestly letting Rafa walk and then hiring Bruce is so dumb I'm not sure I even remember the sequence of events that led to it. It's too insane for my brain to fill in the gaps. There's just darkness and then Bruce is manager.

Wonder what he said to the thumb??

I'm glad Ashley doesn't want to pull the trigger yet, it's the best thing he could do to bring supporters back. The anger is still growing and more games like yesterday will only increase the anger/apathy leading to more empty seats. If he were to jettison Bruce now and get someone remotely capable in I can see a lot of fair weather customers returning.

Man Utd's the perfect next game for him, really. They'll lose - they'll lose whatever the opposition; but it'll be a spirited performance against one of da biggest and best teams in da league. The issue of determination remedied, pressure relieved until the next abject surrender.

There's a report that Bruce has MA's full backing and there is no intention to make a change for the meantime  :rolleyes:

I think the most depressing thing about yesterday was that Rodgers at one point was being lined up as the front runner if Rafa left. I remember at the time  a lot of people rubbished Rodgers as a charlatan too, which I thought was incredibly harsh.

Fair to say that he's looking really good at Leicester right now, and not necessarily with an outstanding squad of players as of yet. Of course we would ultimately not get him and end up with Steve Bruce man. Of course.

The only depressing thing for me about yesterday is the fact that Ashley still owned the club. In those circumstances the afternoon couldn't have gone better.