Newcastle 0 - 1 Chelsea - Post match thread

Dave

Well I have had a day to dwell on this game after viewing it and then rewatch the highlights and I don't think we played that badly.

Chelsea have definately lost somehting... that "spark" or motivation thing seems to be gone. With all of that talent Mourinho has at his disposal he is still totally commmited to playing it safe. Many times throughout the game I felt that Chelsea were going to bore us to death. Without a dubious free kick or penalty they were never going to score against us and it would seem that is the way Jose wants them to play. Think back to when he first took Chelsea over three years ago: They went on a large run of 1-0 wins and Jose's defence was that he needed to play conservatively to get a better feel for the ENglish game. Well two titles later and he still manages his team in a way that makes George Graham look like Kevin Keegan on speed.

This perfectionist soul-destroying style of play is definately creeping into his players and snuffing out both creativity and honour. Schevchanko is seen as a failure this season and now I am convinced it is because of CHelsea and not his play that he is doing poorly. Schevchanko needs attacking midfielders, he needs a more direct and perhaps more reckless build-up and CHelsea is never goign to give it to him.

What about Robben? Has he always been such and absolute c*cksucker? I don't think he has... call it rose tinted nostalgia, but I remember Robben being a bit more resilliant and more interested in *actually* playing football. Everytime Solano came near him he fell over like a pack of cards and looked to the ref as if he was gang raped. ... and by Solano FFS. Nobby is what?... 5'5"... less than ten stone... hardly the David Batty/Vinnie Jones type is he? Nobby was never going to beat him on pace/speed so he tried to be in the right place at the right time to get in his way - which he did (well) and is totally legit. His antics only hurt the game and the fact that it was against Nobby only makes him look like an effeminate prick.

I don't think, Roeder got as much wrong on here as people are portraying. He seems to have "favourite" players that he sticks by despite performances. All managers have this problem and certainly KK and SBR had it. KK especially with Bez (who was not as good as Elliot at the time... but I digress) and certainly SBR with Dyer. So now Roeder seems to have this with Parker and (even worse) with Carr (thank god for the injury IMO). We can argue over who should have been subbed and when, but our bench is very shallow and the impact of switching Sibi out for any of our starting XI would be minimal in almost any scenario. With what we do have Roeder has been able to come close to recreating the spirit and results of the end of last season (since November anyway).

We are still playing better now than we have been and if we never play Babayaro and Carr again I believe we will steadily creep up the table.

The Chelsea fan said nothing wrong. The Chelsea players moved the ball forwrd, but it is hardly a few yards as Roeder suggested, a foot.

They also moved it a yard or two to the right, thus opening up the angle for Drogba to have a strike.

They also moved it a yard or two to the right, thus opening up the angle for Drogba to have a strike.

It is a common antic in premiership to be honest. Not that I agree with what they do, but I don't think that they have blatatnly excessively moved the ball sidewards or forwards.

That said, we lost by an unfortunate free kick. I am happy with how the team performed, and overall happy with Roeder's tactic.

It is a common antic in premiership to be honest. Not that I agree with what they do, but I don't think that they have blatatnly excessively moved the ball sidewards or forwards.

I disagree. It was a straight up piece of cheating that directly resulted in a goal. In that sort of position, two or three yards to the right makes a difference between being able to have a go at goal and crossing.

I disagree. It was a straight up piece of cheating that directly resulted in a goal. In that sort of position, two or three yards to the right makes a difference between being able to have a go at goal and crossing.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Yep.