Newcastle 0 - 1 Chelsea - Post match thread

Dave

Guest MalcolmSm1th

Well, what a match!  The better team won but there's no complaints from this department.  I'm pleased that Newcastle pushed Chelsea so much that they had to bring on the big guns in the second half.  The big difference was bringing on Lampart, arguably the best player in the Premiership, and then Chelsea were certainly on top.

Martins attempt was correctly not given as a goal.  I have no idea which game Rob Lee watched but this stuff about 'the sweet spot' is pure nonsense.  The ball is either wholly over the line or not.  And it wasn't.

On the plus side of things.  That was Newcastle's forty-first (or was it their forty-second game of the season?) and they were playing with a threadbare side.  No excuses looked for but what I am saying is that they played darned well with great passion and spirit and they certainly did give Chelsea the wobbles in the first half.

What pleased me the most is their back four.  Three of them are barely over legal drinking age and it's about time that people stopped talking about the weak Newcastle defence.  In a few year, if this side isn't broken up, I can see Ramage, Taylor and Huntingdon being a part of the best back four in the Premiership.

But not to take it away from Drogba.  A wonderful goal which was perfectly executed and was almost unstoppable.  Some could point the finger at Given there but, let's face it, who has the right to?

A good result for the Carnaby Street Dandies and deservedly so.  But from this viewpoint no disgrace on the home side.  Good luck to Chelsea for the rest of the competition.

Guest optimistic nit

if it hasn't been mentioned the motm for the toon has to be solano, who kept robben quiet for the first hour at least. our back four was good imo after a shaky start, and dyer, martins, butt and emre also had good moments in the game.

Well, what a match! The better team won but there's no complaints from this department. I'm pleased that Newcastle pushed Chelsea so much that they had to bring on the big guns in the second half. The big difference was bringing on Lampart, arguably the best player in the Premiership, and then Chelsea were certainly on top.

Martins attempt was correctly not given as a goal. I have no idea which game Rob Lee watched but this stuff about 'the sweet spot' is pure nonsense. The ball is either wholly over the line or not. And it wasn't.

On the plus side of things. That was Newcastle's forty-first (or was it their forty-second game of the season?) and they were playing with a threadbare side. No excuses looked for but what I am saying is that they played darned well with great passion and spirit and they certainly did give Chelsea the wobbles in the first half.

What pleased me the most is their back four. Three of them are barely over legal drinking age and it's about time that people stopped talking about the weak Newcastle defence. In a few year, if this side isn't broken up, I can see Ramage, Taylor and Huntingdon being a part of the best back four in the Premiership.

But not to take it away from Drogba. A wonderful goal which was perfectly executed and was almost unstoppable. Some could point the finger at Given there but, let's face it, who has the right to?

A good result for the Carnaby Street Dandies and deservedly so. But from this viewpoint no disgrace on the home side. Good luck to Chelsea for the rest of the competition.

do you watch football at all mate?

can name 10 Chelsea players i'd rather have than Lampard, if every player had 15 long range efforts per game they'd evetually score

as for the comment about our defence, is every average player under the age of 24 destined to be a superstar?

F***ing hell. Didn't see much of the game as I was working, but it seemed we were the better team.

And all this bullshit about Parker? Jesus Christ! You are really looking for a scape-goat aren't you? How many of you were praising Parker last year? Someone get the results of them polls that were made, I'm pretty sured Parker scored quite high! And they were from when? September or something? Now he's suddenly the worst thing that has happened since we signed Souness or something?

It's not bullshit, and perhaps more people are now seeing what I saw last year.  tongue.gif  bluelaugh.gif

Better late than never.

i'm quite satisfied - we put up a good fight, and were actually the better side for considerable parts of the game.

too bad - but if asked a few weeks back i'd have said that we would have been slaughtered twice in a week by chelsea!

and how about that strike from martins - pure class!

Guest Skjære

Tactical errors can easily be highlighted with the benefit of hindsight.

However, I wish Roeder had the balls to play 442 at home. By packing the midfield we nullified Chelsea for a large part of the game but also stifled any chance of midfield creativity from our own players and isolated Martins up front.

Butt, Emre and Parker  were tripping over each other in a congested midfield. Although Milner can do a job on the left he is much better on the right. Roeder replaced Milner, one of the few players on the team who can cross a ball, and then brought on Sibierski, one of the few player who can head a ball.  :confused:

Dyer seemed confused as to where he should be playing and failed to expoit space the space on the right which Milner would have used more effectively. The defence did a solid job but were let down by a confused and disjointed 'Football Manager 2007' style formation which tried to shoehorn our best players into an unfamiliar starting lineup.

Lessons to be learnt:

a. Martins needs support in the form of Sib/Dyer

b. Milner needs to play on the right.

c. Butt and Parker cannot play in the same team.

we lost to chelsea twice,twice they score in the time range of 75-80,twice it was drogba coming on from the bench,twice it was roeder making late changes..

and trust me,if we play them a third time,the exact same thing will happen

I was at both games and they were almost identical

we're one of the few teams to actually cause them problems but at the end of the day we can't defend against a top class striker at the top of his form and we lack the pentration to threaten for long periods

sad but fair

we lost to chelsea twice,twice they score in the time range of 75-80,twice it was drogba coming on from the bench,twice it was roeder making late changes..

and trust me,if we play them a third time,the exact same thing will happen

I was at both games and they were almost identical

we're one of the few teams to actually cause them problems but at the end of the day we can't defend against a top class striker at the top of his form and we lack the pentration to threaten for long periods

sad but fair

Over the last couple of seasons, along with a decent defender one other crucial thing we've lacked is somebody who can make something happen out of nothing. But having watched Martins over the last few games I think we might have finally solved that problem. He nearly scored from completely out of the blue with that fantastic shot, and he's lifted us with some great goals recently. Hopefully this isnt just a flash in the pan.

And Taylor is looking more and more impressive every game, a couple of shrewd signings in the summer and we may have reasons to be optimistic about the second half of the season. But God how many times have we said that before..... 

Guest MalcolmSm1th

do you watch football at all mate?

can name 10 Chelsea players i'd rather have than Lampard, if every player had 15 long range efforts per game they'd evetually score

as for the comment about our defence, is every average player under the age of 24 destined to be a superstar?

Yes I do.  Thanks for asking.

Lampard; I wasn't talking about his shooting ability or inablility, I was talking about his movement and availability around the pitch, creating an extra man at times behind the attackers.  The list is near endlesss.  Perhaps I could ask your question of you.

No.  And nowhere was it claimed so in my message.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/72857215.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A60D06560C2434D2D4591E7EC1A351FC8B

nice to see Wor Bobby there last night

Certainly was...................even if he did wear a shredded Zebra around his neck.

Just a couple of things I noticed reading through, why would Roeder want to bring on lesser players when Chelsea brought on there greater players? Although I do agree Sibs should have been on, but maybe he needed a rest, that we don`t know.

Towlie you talk through your ring mate. Enough said.

Another laughable comment i read was that parker passes better than Butt  blueconfused.gif

I agree that Dyer Emre and Milner were all in eachothers prefered positions whats that all about?

As I said to the misses I don`t look for a win against Chelsea or ManUre I look to how well we play and I thought we played some nice passing moves that would kill Tottenham off in no time if we play the same.

As I said earlier in the thread the freekick was moved, the only player I can think of that usually notices that sort of thing is Shearer who is no longer playing. Maybe the whinger Carr would have noticed but he can`t play football so thats irellivant too.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/72857215.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A60D06560C2434D2D4591E7EC1A351FC8B

nice to see Wor Bobby there last night

Certainly was...................even if he did wear a shredded Zebra around his neck.

Love to see him back at the club in some capacity, maybe nearer board level than pitch (getting on, doesn't need to be running about the gaff anymore)

F***ing hell. Didn't see much of the game as I was working, but it seemed we were the better team.

And all this bullshit about Parker? Jesus Christ! You are really looking for a scape-goat aren't you? How many of you were praising Parker last year? Someone get the results of them polls that were made, I'm pretty sured Parker scored quite high! And they were from when? September or something? Now he's suddenly the worst thing that has happened since we signed Souness or something?

People might want to have a look at how many games Parker has played this season and how many of those games we have lost. The bloke is a superb tackler but unfortunately his passing range seems to be that of a crab/Lee Clark.

His passing isn't worse than Butts. And tbh, the reason we've been better is NOT because Parker's been injured. More likely that Ameobi isn't playing, if we're going to pinpoint it to one man.

I disagree. I think the preceeding 3 games have shown that Butt can be a very good passer of the ball.

Siting Ameobi's absence as a reason why we're playing better is complete and utter bollocks tbh. I don't think I even need to justify that with an explanation.

Ameobi not playing IMMEDIATELY improves us.

Butts passing in the past 2 or 3 games has been poor.

Given - 5. Should have done better with the goal. His distribution is shite.

Solano - 6. Not too bad at all. Not fast enough for the likes of Chelsea though.

Taylor - 7. Played well. Every game widens the gap between him and all the rest of our defenders

Ramage - 6. Ok, did his job.

Huntington - 5. Did alright in a testing game.

Dyer - 3. Once again, no end product. Lightweight player, not even average last night. Disappeared.

Parker - 4. Poor. Undeniably a good player, but needs too much time, and distribution is shocking.

Butt - 5. Was alright, passing needs work.

Milner - 6. Played pretty well, starting to becoem a good player i reckon.

Emre - 6. Better than some recent games. SOem nice touches.

Martins - 5. Needs support - he's not a target man.

Roeder - 1. Poor manager, poor tactics, poor substitutions policy. Go now, please.

Roeder - 1. Poor manager, poor tactics, poor substitutions policy. Go now, please.

We lost 1-0 to a lucky goal agaibst a strong Premiership champion's line-up. I don't think we (Roeder as manager takes the blame for the team as a collective in this case IMO) were THAT bad.

We lost 1-0 to a lucky goal agaibst a strong Premiership champion's line-up. I don't think we (Roeder as manager takes the blame for the team as a collective in this case IMO) were THAT bad.

The players who started did themsleves no harm in the first half.

Roeder as a manager is unable to make decisions to change games.

Given - 5. Should have done better with the goal. His distribution is shite.

Solano - 6. Not too bad at all. Not fast enough for the likes of Chelsea though.

Taylor - 7. Played well. Every game widens the gap between him and all the rest of our defenders

Ramage - 6. Ok, did his job.

Huntington - 5. Did alright in a testing game.

Dyer - 3. Once again, no end product. Lightweight player, not even average last night. Disappeared.

Parker - 4. Poor. Undeniably a good player, but needs too much time, and distribution is shocking.

Butt - 5. Was alright, passing needs work.

Milner - 6. Played pretty well, starting to becoem a good player i reckon.

Emre - 6. Better than some recent games. SOem nice touches.

Martins - 5. Needs support - he's not a target man.

He didn't offer too much going forward but looked a bit of a threat at times (probably cam closest to scoring after Oba) but I thought he worked quite hard, and certainly contained Bridge's attacking threat. Didn't seem to be playing as an out and out winger, and looked like he'd been told to track back a lot.

Now with the FA are trying to stop players surrounding officials and demaning cards be given out, what will they do about manager screaming for cards to be given?

I think thats what Roeder was having a word with twats face about yesterday on the touchline, twat face screaming for a yellow for Nobby I think it was.

I think some of the expectations of Sibierski are now way too high. He's done a decent job for us, but there's nothing in his game that's going to worry the really top sides like Chelsea.

aye - probably a good buy for what we paid but  againsy Chelski you  are in a different league

he did quite well at the Bridge but  without Owen I doubt we'll ever beat them

Yorkie Geordie - Your bashing of Roeder is laughable. In my opinion he did not do too much wrong. We did well as a team.

I disagree with your reasoning, but it's not that i'm bothered about so that's why i've omitted that from the quote. Plus, i've sat and argued about Roeder's tactics last night too much now and can't be bothered to do it again. We should have made subs, simple as.

What was really disappointing about your post and your little jab, is that you've chosen to pinpoint me, out of the multitudes of people who share a similar opinion to mine.

Hilarious:

I'm 'Toon'.

QUOTE(Toon @ Dec 20 2006, 21:52)

Not arguing with the fact that Robben was fouled - he was, no doubt. (Looked like a right tit, though - he cheated by flying into the box in an attempt to get a penalty).

Cheated by flying into the box? He was at full pace, took a knock and rode it, then was scythed down at pace, this tends to mean that you fall with the momentum of said pace in the direction you are travelling.

It was the fact that you moved the ball about three yards to get a better shot at goal. That was the cheating.

The foul was about a foot outside the box and the ball was on the line, one foot doesn't equate three yards.

Plus, your players were flying all over the place all the way through the match.

Generally because your players were kicking us all over the place all the way through the match. Any team with Parker and Butt in the mid-field isn't going to be known for their subtle ball skills.

I'm not saying we were brilliant - we would have beaten you if it wasn't for Roeder. He shoul dhave taken Parker off and brought Sibi on far sooner - when we were on top and dominating.

Good, because you weren't. I don't think Newcastle were ever really dominating, they had good spells but not much that overly bothered us, and I certainly don't think you'd have beaten us with the team you put out today.

---

'Scythed down by Butt'. :lol: :lol:

Chelsea C***s. Swiftly left their forum, can't be arsed with that.

I'm not saying we were brilliant - we would have beaten you if it wasn't for Roeder. He shoul dhave taken Parker off and brought Sibi on far sooner - when we were on top and dominating.

Was that a wind-up?

Was that a wind-up?

Apparantly not! If Martins had scored and we'd won 1-0 Roeder would have been the best thing since sliced bread, 'OMG we beat da champions!!!!' We narrowly lose and its all his fault, hmm. Not saying he was brilliant, but we would have still probably lost without him. Quality shines through in the end, we bring on Sibierski and leave Rossi on the bench, they bring on Drogba, Ballack and Lampard ffs.