Joelinton

Stifler

1 hour ago, Theregulars said:

For sure, and he’ll be punished. But my point is before everyone starts saying what a terrible human being he is and how he should be put in a kennel wearing nothing but a torn kilt while everyone throws rocks at him, sometimes it’s useful to provide some context (or, in this case, hypothetical context). 

He has made a mistake. It may be a slight mistake or a big mistake depending on circumstances that we don’t know. It’s just tiresome that we always have to have the conclusion and judgment like a downloadable iTunes song in 30 seconds. 

I’ll support him because I don’t think he’s a bad person. Im biased because he’s a Newcastle player.

I don't think anyone that has criticised him has said he should be severely punished

I think the majority stance is what he did was a bellend thing to do, he'll rightly be punished by the law.

Then there is some difference of opinion on whether the club suspend him or not. I personally think Howe should drop him for a game, though aware not everyone will have that opinion.

After that, he should be brought back into the team and we can all move on.

Well, recently in terms of actually losing a game and all the debate about the squad, big Joe and his brush with Johnny Law and all these other fucking minor grievances, that just a few years ago we were in some sort of deranged coordinated fashion, going after celebrities on twitter who Keith Bishop represented and hassling any companies associated with him or Mike Ashley by leaving salty reviews on Trustpilot.

A little perspective can go a long way.

9 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Just fucking fine him, let the law do it’s job, and move on.

I genuinely don’t think the public as a whole will care that much one way or another… certainly no one will boo him. He’s a human being. He’s made a mistake. If he’s guilty he’ll get a driving ban.

You don’t drop a player because of something like this. Give your head a shake.

Was thinking about this earlier, I wouldnt get fined or banned from my work for it, so why should he. But then there are other considerations so I reckon the gesture from club and player is there to make a greater point, which I cant argue with.

3 hours ago, Theregulars said:

I lived in Singapore for 3 years (approx same time as he’s been in England) and I couldn’t tell you what their drink drive limit is (assume it’s 0 knowing their deterrent system). 

Don't be ridiculous. 😆 It's the same limits as England's.

Edited by LRD

4 hours ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

Problem with the system is.

The limit is 1 pint.

90% of drinkers will have 1 pint and be fine to drive. Breathalyser check may equate to being below the limit.

I am 10yr sober. So 1 pint of piss fosters and I would be swerving all over the road. Get the book chucked at me and get a 20 month ban and a fine. Kill someone and do a long stretch.

If you have even the slightest of doubts before getting in the car. Don’t drive.

Joe knew full well that he may possibly fail the test. Just like Joe blogs after a swift pint before driving home. 

You take a gamble. Expect to accept the consequences.

That's not how it works though. You may well be swerving all over the place after 1 pint, but you'd blow under the limit because it's a blood alcohol level. How drunk you feel is irrelevant. My mum's like this, she's borderline alcohol intolerant and can be wasted after one small glass of wine but after ploughing though a zebra crossing full of children would blow, under which is terrifying.

I'm the reverse, personally I like a beer and perhaps I could drive fine after 3 but despite that I'd probably blow over the limit. But the rules are the rules and there's nothing to be gained by driving as close to the limit as you can, it's obvious alcohol impairs you and driving a couple of tonnes of metal is not to be taken lightly. I'd never drive after 3, you're a fucking idiot if you do. 1 is my limit if I go out for a meal, maximum, but ideally 0. It's not difficult.

Not trying to downplay Joe’s drink driving charge, although to be clear honest, I’m not full bottle on the U.k. Road laws……

I’ll also be honest and admit I’ve drunk and driven many many times, not deliberately, but sometimes things get out of hand.

Haven’t done it for a long time, but I’ve probably been close to the limit at times.

Hope the Club don’t discipline Joe too severely, maybe that’s a selfish thing to say on my behalf, but one things for sure, Joe is a confidence player, hopefully compassionate help to identify if there is a problem or if this incident is a one off.

“Let him without sin cast the first stone”

In the USA, I'll have 2 pints but never more. I space them out and eat something. Really need the details as others have said. There is a difference in making a mistake which could put innocent people in danger and being a full on fuckhead and jumping behind the wheel entirely too shit faced to walk straight.

Seems to happen fairly often in the NFL and no, it isn't good. 

The worst possible example:

8 hours ago, Menace said:

You'd think he's pulled out a machine gun and killed 5 people the way some people are acting. Stupid thing to do but he's human and will learn from it. Christ.

They all have the luxury of not having anyone being able to look into all the shit they've ever done. It's so fucking pathetic man.

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

They all have the luxury of not having anyone being able to look into all the shit they've ever done. It's so fucking pathetic man.

I don't have the luxury of anything, but I've had the devastation of having someone very close to me killed by someone driving whilst over the limit. It's not a point scoring exercise ffs. 

6 hours ago, Kanji said:

Some of you really are some odd balls. 

Boo him? Ban him for 6 months? Have any of you ever made a mistake? Have you no more info than news story? He was charged, he was not convicted. Thankfully nobody is hurt. Thankfully he isn't hurt. 

He will be dealt with by law and the club. 

He's a human being who's done a fuck load of good for the club and the city, but hey let's jsut make shit memes and songs and jokes about him.

You're wasting your breath man. Let them get on with it.

A lot of people are just desperate for any of these footballers to make a mistake so they can have a reason to hurl abuse at them and castigate them, because deep down they resent their success and wealth. Happens all the time.

The man will receive his punishment in due course and rightly so, and he will hopefully learn from it.

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

I don't have the luxury of anything, but I've had the devastation of having someone very close to me killed by someone driving whilst over the limit. It's not a point scoring exercise ffs. 

Well now you've abused him online I hope you feel better. I'm sure that's made a real difference. 

2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Quite sorry to hear that. That's why I watch that stuff very closely and have for a long time. Very very sorry. It's all quite gray to me. Equally as dangerous in some cases is people driving like maniacs, happened near me with people drag racing sober. Just hard to codify into law stupid I guess.

I'd just like to hear the actual facts before nailing him to the cross.

1 minute ago, McDog said:

Quite sorry to hear that. That's why I watch that stuff very closely and have for a long time. Very very sorry. It's all quite gray to me. Equally as dangerous in some cases is people driving like maniacs, happened near me with people drag racing sober. Just hard to codify into law stupid I guess.

I'd just like to hear the actual facts before nailing him to the cross.

Thanks I appreciate that. The fact is he drove whilst being over the limit. It will be dealt by the authorities and the club. Manic drivers are just as bad also. 

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Stop taking your anger, outrage and trauma out on other people man. Grow up.

Stop saying stupid things then, I bet you wouldn't be saying the same things if you had someone close to you being killed due to someone driving over the limit. You don't drink and drive full stop. I'll leave it there. 

Actually one of my team mates sisters in secondary school was killed that exact way.

However, in this culture of drinking I realise this is always going to continue to be an issue. He will get a harsh punishment and it will be down to him to learn from it.

Ranting and railing against him online achieves absolutely nothing and will not right any wrong you have suffered. But I've had enough of this so carry on if you wish.

4 hours ago, Heron said:

Quite looking forward to Eddie Howe playing this down and dealing with it as Eddie Howe does. Cool, calm and with rationale.

I hope he doesn't play it down but is calm and rational about it which I'm guessing is what you mean.

It will all come out eventually, had he had 6 pints and got straight on his car and got pulled over because he was swerving all over, going through red lights and doing 70 in a 20 or down to two medium glasses of wine with lunch then got in the car 2 hrs later and got pulled over for doing 27 in a 20.

The punishment from the courts and club will depend on these details though I guess he'll probably miss Sunday.

2 hours ago, Weezertron said:

[emoji38] did something get deleted? Genuinely didn't see any abuse in his comment.

Not read every comment here but certainly not seen anything close to ‘abuse’, just lots of disappointed fans, which to me is totally justified.