Joelinton

Stifler

To think Rondon would've cost a fraction of this guys fee.

Great sell on for Joelinton btw - I predict what, £10M?

Morelos would have probably been £10-15m cheaper.

10-15m cheaper than the made-up amount we paid? As Ashley didn't let go of anywhere near £40 million on this average footballer (who has never produced anything to suggest he would cost big money). I'd be amazed if he even cost £20 million.

The way he looks in that video he is playing with about a million percent more urgency and intensity. Nothing timid about that player there. Dribbles with intention, passes with purpose, shoots the ball believing he will score.

He still looks pretty slow with his feet to me, considering the pace of the PL especially. Also, that whole video shows him doing very little in reality.

We’ll see in the financial report won’t we?

Do undisclosed fees get published in the reports? If so, only about 2 years to wait.  :lol:

Not sure. Hoffenheim themselves said it was the record fee received. Firmino was around £28m? So it’s somewhere above that at least. Not sure why the scepticism over the £40m came from?

From what I've seen there are two main problems with Joelinton:

1) Steve Bruce

2) Joelinton

Both factors are contributing to his failure here thus far. Bruce is isolating him and has no idea how to utilise him, but Joelinton isn't helping himself with his indecisive play and clear lack of both confidence and quality in front of goal. As I've said previously, he looks like he wants too much time on the ball to be effective at this level, nothing he does is either instinctive or decisive. He's far too slow at getting shots away when he's carrying the ball and constantly allows defenders to recover or keepers to set themselves, which is a huge deal given the pace of our league and one that foreign players who have these issues have historically struggled to overcome. With Steve Bruce managing him I can only see him getting worse rather than better as his confidence continues to deteriorate.

I think he'd be a good player in Serie A, Ligue Un or maybe even La Liga but he'll always struggle in this league unless he can change his game completely.

We’ll see in the financial report won’t we?

Do undisclosed fees get published in the reports? If so, only about 2 years to wait.  :lol:

Not sure. Hoffenheim themselves said it was the record fee received. Firmino was around £28m? So it’s somewhere above that at least. Not sure why the scepticism over the £40m came from?

The scepticism could come from Ashley's refusal until now to spend serious money, and could also come from the fact that Joelinton hasn't really done anything to warrant such a price. So theres 2 reasons.

But let's be honest, with our owner, you always need to be sceptical.

But we know one of the reasons Rafa left was because he didn’t think he was worth £40m. He left and we bought him anyway.

Am I right in thinking we bought him whilst we didn’t even have a manager? This transfer was always going through.

It was official after Bruce arrived but it was first out that we were after him as soon as the January window ended. Which proves he was being signed whether Rafa was here, Bruce or whoever.

:thup:

So he’s a Bruce signing then? :whistle:

But we know one of the reasons Rafa left was because he didn’t think he was worth £40m. He left and we bought him anyway.

That's not one of the reasons Rafa left though.

He felt the money could be spent better elsewhere. Same thing.

He left because there was no trust and no ambition and things were not being done right. The situation you describe is just one of hundreds of examples of this in action.

I agree in that he probably felt the money could be better spent. I'd be sure he also felt £20 million could be better spent. It's not as if he needs targets identified to him by Ashley and his cronies. I've just not seen it mentioned as a particular factor in his leaving. I could have missed something though.

I don't think he cited it as a reason. I vaguely remember Ashley saying that Rafa only thought he was worth c.£20m so Ashley said he'd fund the rest himself. I'm sure he's reneged on that now that Rafa has left...

I don't think he cited it as a reason. I vaguely remember Ashley saying that Rafa only thought he was worth c.£20m so Ashley said he'd fund the rest himself. I'm sure he's reneged on that now that Rafa has left...

How would Ashley fund the rest himself? Pay the other £20m out of his personal account?

How would Ashley fund the rest himself? Pay the other £20m out of his personal account?

He could write off £20m from his loans I suppose. No idea if we paid cash up front or whether it was in instalments. Either way I doubt it would mean him physically paying over £20m immediately, and in reality I doubt he will subsidise it all now!

He could write off £20m from his loans I suppose. No idea if we paid cash up front or whether it was in instalments. Either way I doubt it would mean him physically paying over £20m immediately, and in reality I doubt he will subsidise it all now!

Ashley write off £20m of loans you say? Hmmm...that never occurred to me for some reason.